Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2012 Honda Civic Released (Updated)...Hyundai lol'd

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-10, 01:36 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Well hey... if Hyundai can come back as strong as they have, maybe the 2020 Hondas will bring back something to spend money on
Old 10-12-10, 04:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

You have to give Honda credit. They continue to churn out mediocore, ugly, underwhelming cars and sheep buy them over and over. They are not investing in their products yet they continue to sell and they remain profitable.
The "sheep" who buy these newer Hondas are (apparantly) not concerned with looks. Most of them have (probably) had good experiences with previous Hondas and are simply sold on Honda quality. I still think, myself, that, despite questionable styling/design on some of their products (and the Acura ZDX being an almost complete waste of company resources), that Honda/Acura still screws a car together at the factory like no other mass-produced auto manufacturer. Other manufacturers, however, are rapidly catching up....and Lexus, of course, has (usually) been way up there in the quality department as well.
Old 10-12-10, 07:22 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

this must be an asian model ...cheap
Old 10-12-10, 08:20 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
this must be an asian model ...cheap
It's a good possibility that this is not the American version. Honda usually does, for some unnecessary reason, makes 2 or more styled versions for different markets. And of course the Asian version usually emerges first for Honda's and Toyota's.

Even the current non-US version looks very odd compared to our model. The headlights and taillights are lousy.

Old 10-12-10, 08:29 PM
LexFather

^^^ Which is then badged an Acura and beaked in Canada.

Oddly our American suspension on the Civic is a multi-leaf setup and the Euro setup is not independent. We actually got the better suspension here.

The proportions of the mule say Civic. They usually go evolution, evolution, revolution and the last model was the revolution so this will be the evolution.

Old 10-12-10, 10:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Oddly our American suspension on the Civic is a multi-leaf setup and the Euro setup is not independent. We actually got the better suspension here.
We NEED the better suspension here. American roads, especially in the Northeastern cities and the Great Lakes Snow Belt, can be like driving on the surface of the moon. Not so in most places in Europe, for a number of reasons....among them being that Europeans often spend more for road maintenance/upkeep.
Old 10-13-10, 11:07 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Incredibly boring, completely uninspired, and will not stand out in any way. It looks like it could be a more downmarket cheap Ford or Toyota. It does not even look like a new civic but something in a class below it. What were they thinking making it so dull. I don't find it ugly and I would rather it have controversial styling some call ugly like with the new TL over something this dull, forgettable and uninspired. Then again buyers in that segment generally want something boring and restrained and the real issue will be the specs, how it drives, quality, etc. Will still have to hold final judgment until seen in person.

I did not care for the current civic sedan when it first came out but it has grown on me and looks much better then this new civic which reminds me of a Toyota Echo. I really like the current civic coupe and hope they don't screw the new coupe up. If the coupe looks and performs good the dull sedan can somewhat be forgiven.

On some forums they are holding out hope this is not the version the US will get but I think this is what we are getting.
Old 10-13-10, 07:18 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that new focus has my vote even though the cruze looks sweet i saw one down my street the other day
Old 10-14-10, 12:12 AM
YEH
Pole Position

Taken from http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/garage/.

Actually, w/ a better angled shot, the new Civic does look better from the side - an improved, sleeker looking greenhouse and roofline (that jellybean shape of the current Civic is just awful).

But it kinda has "Malibu-itis", looks pretty good from the side, not so much from the front and rear.

^^^ Which is then badged an Acura and beaked in Canada.

Actually, the CSX came first; but all in all, essentially a Civic (whether JDM or USDM).

Last edited by YEH; 10-14-10 at 12:18 AM.
Old 10-14-10, 12:25 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Honda forums are on fire with negative comments about this.

I still think it will sell due to bland styling alone. Will be interesting.
Old 10-14-10, 07:26 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

This does look a lot better but still lacking of what a 2012 Civic should look like.
There are differences from the original shots, which appears to have still had camo on it.
Old 10-14-10, 07:48 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Honda forums are on fire with negative comments about this.

I still think it will sell due to bland styling alone. Will be interesting.
New usual ugly Honda comes out, it will sell. That said I think people are going to start realizing Honda has completely rested on ugly laurels and start giving the competition serious thought like the new Elantra, Cruze, Focus, etc.

Old 10-14-10, 11:34 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

New usual ugly Honda comes out, it will sell. That said I think people are going to start realizing Honda has completely rested on ugly laurels and start giving the competition serious thought like the new Elantra, Cruze, Focus, etc.
I think a lot could depend on how good the next Corolla is, since Corolla and Civic are the top two compact cars.

Some of the other new competition you mentioned will be strong and I think will take away a lot of the enthusiast buyers away from the Civic.
Old 11-16-10, 01:03 PM
LexusMan77
Pole Position

Honda wants to challenge Prius with 2012 Civic Hybrid.

http://www.insideline.com/honda/civi...he-lineup.html

2012 Honda Civic: Hybrid Will Lead the Lineup
Published Nov 16, 2010

Just the Facts:
•A new Honda Civic is on its way for 2012.
•A four-door sedan and Si Coupe are again planned for the U.S.
•New Civic hybrid is set to challenge the Toyota Prius head-on.

TOKYO — Behind the scenes, Honda is now putting the finishing touches to its eagerly awaited next-generation 2012 Civic Hybrid, a car that's being set up to challenge the Toyota Prius. The automaker is remaking the entire Civic lineup but prioritizing the hybrid model over the conventionally powered Civic, to the extent that the future of the "normal" Civic looks doubtful in Japan while the 2012 Civic Hybrid will definitely go on sale here next year.

Honda is going for evolution rather than revolution with the next Civic, restyling the current model with a rounder overall profile but, sources say, not making any significant changes to design, size or market positioning. As the saying goes in Japan, "Keep concept."

For the U.S., there will once again be sedan and Si coupe body styles. Americans are expected to get a first look at the cars at the 2011 Detroit Auto Show in January.

The grapevine in Tokyo suggests Honda's biggest mission is to deliver on a new eco champ that can take big chunks out of sales of the Prius. Thus the redesigned Civic Hybrid will be the lead vehicle in the new offensive.

Honda will once again be going with its unique, home-grown IMA hybrid system, as found in the CR-Z, Insight and current Civic Hybrid. But next year, the Civic Hybrid will move up to 1.5 liters (from the current 1.3 liters) and will be the first Honda hybrid to get lithium-ion batteries, significantly improving the car's EV driving range.

One of the weaknesses of the current Civic Hybrid with the NI-MH battery pack is the fact that it can hardly run any significant distance in silent, electric-only mode, thus curbing emissions and noise, as can the Prius.

Shots of camouflaged test mules in the U.S. show the 2012 Civic as a conservatively reshaped compact, with long wheelbase, sloping nose and BMW-style C-pillar treatment. Body size, it's believed, barely changes.

In Japan, where the Civic is set to launch next spring, the rumor goes that — because the company is desperate for a green-car victory over the Prius — Honda will give maximum weight and PR exposure to the Civic Hybrid, while conventionally powered Civics will take all but a backseat.

Inside Line says: Honda is set to fire the next round in Japan's green-car wars with the 2012 Civic. But against the Prius, will it be enough? — Peter Nunn, Correspondent
Old 11-16-10, 01:43 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexusMan77
Honda wants to challenge Prius with 2012 Civic Hybrid.
It's going to look silly having the Civic Hybrid beat their own dedicated hybrid Insight. And if they really intend on challenging the Prius, that means that the Civic will blow away the Insight as the Prius does now. Unless Honda simultaneously updates the Insight with the same tech going into the Civic.

I still don't see it happening. Remember, the Civic is still conventionally shaped compared to the Prius/Insight. So it also has to overcome that weakness.

Never going to happen.

Quick Reply: 2012 Honda Civic Released (Updated)...Hyundai lol'd