Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2012 Honda Civic Released (Updated)...Hyundai lol'd

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-11, 08:32 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Well, its no surprise that its bland and unconnected looking, however i see that progress was made and that it looks better IMO than the current model.. not much better but the styling cues resemble some of Prius styling while adapting to the Compact market.. Its not that much better or worse.. it just exists and thats all Honda needs to sell the car.. Its really sad to see this because our the choices of good styling cars reduces every year. Theres not much i'll buy new for under $40K these days..
Old 02-06-11, 05:37 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,424 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
It's amazing that out of all the things to copy, Honda decided to copy the rear end of the 5th gen Camry.
Overall while I have no interest in this, it does look more like an actual car and less like a spaceship. Therefore, I predict it will sell well and appeal to people because of it's bland inoffensive design.
just checking, bland and inoffensive is good, right? cuz i think you said it was awesome for toyota to do that.
Old 02-06-11, 07:31 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

LOL at looking like the previous Camry's rear end. I swear whenever someone sees even a slight similarity, then it's an outright copy
Old 02-06-11, 11:01 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't know wth is everyone so negative about the Civic.

That orange Si looks totally hot, if I was 20 again it would be my #1 choice out of similarly priced cars.

If you want something really bland, that would be the new Tc.
Old 02-06-11, 11:47 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Everyone is negative because they are expecting the Civic to look and perform like a $30k car. That or the Honda hate is strong.

For god sake it's a sub $20k car. I honestly don't know anyone who buy these cars (Civic, Corolla, Focus) for their looks. If they do, then they are in the minority. These cars get sold because they are cheap, reliable, and get good fuel economy.

Could Honda have done better? Sure, but be glad it looks like the current model and not one with a shield grille!
Old 02-06-11, 12:22 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

^^^

I think looks have a lot to do with the buying decision. I think ever since the 5th gen, the Civic has been a leader in the looks department amongst the cars in its price range. Think of all the Paseos, Cavaliers, Sunfires, and all the rest of the miserable garbage that it competed against through the years.

Another thing that Civic almost always had going for it is that it came in coupe, sedan, and hatchback configurations. A lot of cars in its class only offer the boring sedan configuration.
Old 02-06-11, 02:05 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

did the front end change at all? lol
Old 02-06-11, 02:09 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by GSteg
Everyone is negative because they are expecting the Civic to look and perform like a $30k car. That or the Honda hate is strong.

For god sake it's a sub $20k car. I honestly don't know anyone who buy these cars (Civic, Corolla, Focus) for their looks. If they do, then they are in the minority. These cars get sold because they are cheap, reliable, and get good fuel economy.

Could Honda have done better? Sure, but be glad it looks like the current model and not one with a shield grille!
Yeah I honestly could care less at this point, not even worth posting about. They sell 300k of them a year, its a pedestrian car for teenagers.

A FWD 210hp Civic Si is yawntastic when we live in a world with so many superb AWD, RWD cars new, let alone used. It was cool in the 1990s, not anymore.

Old 02-06-11, 06:26 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
just checking, bland and inoffensive is good, right? cuz i think you said it was awesome for toyota to do that.
dunno, kind of sucks that it looks like 6-12 year old Camry... I also have to say that 3rd pillar looks a lot like Dodge Neon too
Old 02-06-11, 10:05 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

It's amazing that out of all the things to copy, Honda decided to copy the rear end of the 5th gen Camry.
Originally Posted by spwolf
dunno, kind of sucks that it looks like 6-12 year old Camry...
keep pouring the haterade... seems these days almost every new car is judged on CL as a copy / ripoff of something else.
Old 02-07-11, 07:49 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
A FWD 210hp Civic Si is yawntastic when we live in a world with so many superb AWD, RWD cars new, let alone used. It was cool in the 1990s, not anymore.
I honestly think 200hp would be fine...in a non-Si model! Sadly the Si use to be the go-to car if you wanted cheap and reliable performance. 200hp is no more than the RSX of almost 10 years ago.

I'm anxiously waiting to see what Honda decides to do with their non-Si model, since those are the bread and butter models. I've sort of given up on the Si after the 99-00 Si. Those were the best ones for me
Old 02-14-11, 01:21 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For sales, yes it is good. Just to clarify, I find it disappointing and mediocre that Honda is copying an old Toyota in rear end styling. However, it WILL sell simply because it is bland.

I may not like it, but I am still aware of what the market likes, and the market likes bland.

However, while looking bland, the rear also looks dated. It's possible to make a bland design look modern as opposed to dated, there is a difference in that regard. So there is a small chance consumers may shun this Civic for it's dated design, even if it is bland. It is a small chance though and unlikely to happen.

LOL at looking like the previous Camry's rear end. I swear whenever someone sees even a slight similarity, then it's an outright copy
Slight similarity? It's quite a bit more than that. Honda went with the same general shape as the 5th-gen Camry rear lights first all. They also went with the same reverse light shape and arrangement as the 5th gen Camry.

Honda just made the outer edges of the tails a bit sharper and less round. Otherwise, the resemblance is very similar.

No. It's because there is a double standard. When Toyota does something bland like the new Avalon, it is heavily criticized, despite the fact the Avalon targets a non-sporty and older demographic.

When Honda does bland *and* dated design on a new model, it's supposed to get a free pass from criticism?

Yes the Civic is a sub-20K car. However, ALL kinds of buyers purchase the Civic, from young to old.

I'm not criticizing this design because it's bland. It should be bland, and I'm glad Honda made it look more like a car and less like a spaceship. I'm criticizing the design for being unoriginal and dated.

keep pouring the haterade... seems these days almost every new car is judged on CL as a copy / ripoff of something else.
There is a double standard here. Toyota gets heavily criticized here on CL, which is ironic given it's a Lexus forum.

Yet Honda should be given a free pass from criticism?
Old 02-14-11, 01:57 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Oof! The double photo above really puts it into perspective. Outdated!!!
Old 02-14-11, 04:19 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The photo above shows me somebody has been doing too much thinking. I probaly could post 3 other cars that have a similar rear end. But everyone has there own opinion. Truthfully I really don't care how a Civic looks but regardless it's going to sell. Maybe Honda is trying to steal customers from Toyota and Ford with this new design. Bland/kind Sporty
Old 02-14-11, 05:59 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

There is a double standard here. Toyota gets heavily criticized here on CL, which is ironic given it's a Lexus forum.

Yet Honda should be given a free pass from criticism?
plenty of double standards on CL.

i think u mean toyota gets criticized for copying? i don't see much of that here. i don't think toyota copies much if anything.

Quick Reply: 2012 Honda Civic Released (Updated)...Hyundai lol'd