Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2012 Honda Civic Released (Updated)...Hyundai lol'd

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-10, 12:33 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
Default 2012 Honda Civic Released (Updated)...Hyundai lol'd

Here's a view of the upcoming Civic. Looks like Honda's current styling theme made it to the front and rear. Not digging the frumpy and sagging 2003 Camry taillights though.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/10/10/s...-almost-naked/
Old 10-10-10, 01:13 PM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It looks older than the current model! How did they manage that?
Old 10-10-10, 02:05 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

^^^^

+1

And cheaper!
Old 10-10-10, 02:37 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's more bland than before, so it will probably sell well. The interior on the other hand looks disappointing, they managed to make it look cheaper. Also angling the center dash more towards the driver ... why? This is a compact sedan, it makes no sense to have an angled dash. Not a fan of the rear at all, and don't really like the styling in general.

One thing I will give Honda credit for is that at the very least it looks more like a car and less like a spaceship. The current Civic looks too much like a spaceship, not a car.

If the next-gen Corolla is a big improvement, Honda might have reason to worry.

Last edited by TRDFantasy; 10-10-10 at 02:42 PM.
Old 10-10-10, 02:45 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

that doesnt even look like a Honda
Old 10-10-10, 02:45 PM
jason60050
Driver

I don't understand what Honda is thinking in their design studio these days...
Old 10-10-10, 02:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
One thing I will give Honda credit for is that at the very least it looks more like a car and less like a spaceship. The current Civic looks too much like a spaceship, not a car.
Totally agree. In fact, I've used that (exact) phrase myself a few times. The ultra-aero, bullet-shaped styling, on many new vehicles, has gotten completely out of hand.

I was hoping, though, that they would dump the bi-level, digital speedometer and go back to conventional gauges. I was not a fan at all of the present dash-design.

Last, aren't we a year or two late with the Civic redesign? For decades, Civics (and most other Hondas) were redesigned like clockwork every four years. Looks like Honda, like other automakers, might have gotten money-strapped enough to stretch out the redesign cycle. Perhaps, (at least, as I see it), they would have HAD more dollars to spend if they hadn't wasted them on useless projects like the Acura ZDX and Honda Ridgeline (at least, the Ridgeline offered some nifty convienence-features for the money). That (may) also explain why we haven't seen more advances in the Honda IMA hybrid systems lately so that they run and operate as smoothly as those from Toyota.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-10-10 at 03:07 PM.
Old 10-10-10, 03:34 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Meh.........
Old 10-10-10, 04:06 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

ugly, ugly, ugly, boring, and ugly.. Honda simply has the worst designers on the planet. This car does not look like a step up from the current generation by any means (as it should). It looks like more crap from a company clearly resting on its laurels. They just do not get it right with any new model - either it's ridiculously overstyled or generically understyled.
Old 10-10-10, 05:46 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

This is a complete and utter disappointment.

So after a 6 year life of the current model (which I love), Honda takes a step backward and designs the ugliest Civic in modern history.

This was Honda's last chance to show they weren't led by visually impaired designers. Well, this proves they are. So sad. This car should have been a big leap forward to compete with these real designs...

2012 Ford Focus...

2011 Hyundai Elantra...

2011 Chevy Cruze...

Honda is done.
Old 10-10-10, 05:55 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What really baffles me is that they actually delayed the launch of this Civic to make it more exciting and better looking. There's nothing ugly about this Civic but there certainly is nothing exciting or groundbreaking either. The competition is moving head with some seriously forward-thinking designs as JPL demonstrated. Honda (and Toyota with the next Corolla) really better start hiring some actual designers.

That said, trying not to pass final judgement til official photos...
Old 10-10-10, 06:07 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I am expecting the next-gen Accord to be ugly and disappointing as well.

I'm not overly disappointed with this Civic, mainly because I was already expecting for this to look disappointing so this is nothing surprising.

Also people need to stop taking certain internet rumors so seriously. It's impossible that the Civic was delayed for only 1 year, and in the span of a year that Honda managed to make major changes to the design. The auto industry doesn't work that way. At most, 1 year would allow Honda only to make minor changes. The car was likely delayed to make sure first-year quality was good, similarly why Toyota delayed the current-gen Corolla release.
Old 10-10-10, 06:25 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Terrible. ZERO effort. As someone on AB said, it looks like an Acura version of a Pontiac Sunfire. I'm sure it will out-sell the current model, though.

Toyota and Honda have made it ABUNDANTLY clear that they have NO desire to provide customers in the $15K-$30K bracket with anything other than soulless, ultra-bland appliances. It's almost like they've entered into a collusion agreement to not only reject fresh, exciting design/engineering, but to out-bore each others customers!
Old 10-10-10, 06:40 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-

This is a complete and utter disappointment.

So after a 6 year life of the current model (which I love), Honda takes a step backward and designs the ugliest Civic in modern history.

This was Honda's last chance to show they weren't led by visually impaired designers. Well, this proves they are. So sad. This car should have been a big leap forward to compete with these real designs...

2012 Ford Focus...

2011 Hyundai Elantra...

2011 Chevy Cruze...

Honda is done.
There is no way this turd is going to be able to compete with these other models.. You have to remember, this thing is going to be all new in 2012, but it also had to be designed to still LOOK new and fresh til at least 2016. Meanwhile this car looks like something out of 2002. Unbelievable.. The new Focus looks amazing, though
Old 10-10-10, 07:20 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts

I actually like the current spaceship body. It's lean, athletic, modern, and sleek. This new body looks heavy, is sagging in several areas, and has shades of frumpiness. Definitely several steps backward. The more I look at it, the more the rear end looks like the Sentra- not a car one should be trying to copy.
To think back to the Civic of the 80's and 90's, it is sad to see Honda's current state of being.

Quick Reply: 2012 Honda Civic Released (Updated)...Hyundai lol'd