Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Will Manual Cars Last?
Yes, they will always be around.
44.78%
No, they will be obsolete someday.
55.22%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Will Manual Cars Ever Be Obsolete?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-11, 08:18 AM
Danimal
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eventually they will go by the wayside. I'll be sad to see them go, but such is progress. Like MMarshall said, autos are now in some cases exceeding the possibilities for my beloved stick shift. I couldn't pay some people I know to drive a manual; and while the snob in me wants to think they're classless, the fact of the matter is that traditional manuals are just becoming unnecessary.

The only time I've driven through Chicago rush-hour traffic in my SC, I was freaking miserable; but it comes with the territory. It's what I want, and it has downsides.
Old 02-06-11, 08:36 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

When I had my G35 coupe 6MT, I have got stuck in rush hour traffic before, but I swear I haven't even thought about shifting in that situation(and the G35 manual is notchy too, not Honda smooth), it just comes naturally, so it doesn't bother me.
You guys think countries in Europe where it is 90+ % manual cars have no rush hour traffic? ... and everybody is miserable moaning and groaning about that ?
Old 02-06-11, 09:34 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
You guys think countries in Europe where it is 90+ % manual cars have no rush hour traffic? ... and everybody is miserable moaning and groaning about that ?
True. European countries are even more congested and yet they drive sticks almost exclusively.
Old 02-06-11, 10:08 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
True. European countries are even more congested and yet they drive sticks almost exclusively.
In Southern Europe, there seems to be an apprehension against automatic transmissions atm.........though this could change (as nowadays, more and more automatics, CVTs, DSGs, semi-autos, SMG, etc. have lesser VED tax than their manual counterparts)

But in the case of Lexus, I'm predicting/guessing that they will stop making manual gearbox cars within this decade (i.e. not later than year 2020).

For start:
Majority of Lexus vehicles produced from factories in Japan and Canada ARE NOT stick shifts. Atm, there is no such thing as a stick shift LS or GS or RX or any other Lexus that has a stick shift from the factory.........................except for a few models of the IS.

Mostly in the form of IS base models and the diesel IS they sell in Europe (which is filled with problems and is ****ty).

I think only Americas and Europe and possible Australia and New Zealand have stick-shift IS. Here in Asia (incl. Japan), all IS are sold with auto tranny only.

With that said, does anyone have global sales charts for the IS as well as to what are the gearbox choices and marketshare for it. If the results show that stick shift IS are at a great minority, then this *might* give rise to the possibility that in the near future, Lexus will stop making stick shift cars.
Old 02-06-11, 03:34 PM
Marzabella
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

What I feel that most people are missing is that the conventional manual isn't just about control, it's involvement. When you are carving up a nice piece of road, matching engine speeds and gears just perfectly you feel like part of the machine and need to be so much more aware of the conditions than with an epicycle auto of robot manual. I have noticed a huge difference amonst my peers between those that learnt on a manual car and those that didn't. Those that have only ever known the auto pay so much less attention to the traffic and conditions, wafting along in their own world. When the manual dies (and it is likely it will on road vehicles) there will be no more drivers.

Hyperbolic I know, but I really do feel passionately about it.

Last edited by Marzabella; 02-06-11 at 10:04 PM.
Old 02-06-11, 03:41 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Even motorcycles are turning to manumatic transmissions.

Although scooters have had automatic transmissions for a while, motorcycle makes are beginning to create motorcycles with manumatic shifting for an aging population that want the smoothest sport-touring bikes on the road.

Honda, Aprilia, and BMW currently have semiautomatic transmissions for their bikes. I see more makes joining in the future.
Old 02-08-11, 10:01 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Marzabella
What I feel that most people are missing is that the conventional manual isn't just about control, it's involvement. When you are carving up a nice piece of road, matching engine speeds and gears just perfectly you feel like part of the machine and need to be so much more aware of the conditions than with an epicycle auto of robot manual. I have noticed a huge difference amonst my peers between those that learnt on a manual car and those that didn't. Those that have only ever known the auto pay so much less attention to the traffic and conditions, wafting along in their own world. When the manual dies (and it is likely it will on road vehicles) there will be no more drivers.

Hyperbolic I know, but I really do feel passionately about it.
Agree 100% with this.

Every car I have ever owned has been a manual -- and not by mistake. I simply prefer it, as autos make me sleepy.

But this may be because I *enjoy* driving. Most people drive to get places. I drive because I LIKE it.

For the record I left Lexus when buying my daily driver simply because I couldn't get the one I wanted with 3 pedals in it (IS350). They lost me to the Euro's (twice) and I have no regrets. Currently in a VW GTI and it's pure grins every time I row through the gears behind that sweet sweet 2.0T.

I still enjoy my SC300 on the weekends. Also with 3 pedals.

In all fairness I encounter no traffic during my commute and I generally drive like I'm in a police chase.

So for me, manuals all the way. I hope at least some stay.
Old 02-08-11, 11:03 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Some cars will always be popular as manuals. Mazda Miatas have a wonderful gearchange and the whole point of owning one is to enjoy the handling, top down and flicking through the gears. No one in their right mind buys an auto Miata.
Old 02-08-11, 03:45 PM
S8B
Lead Lap

They'll be around as long as there's a demand for them. The only market that still has a demand for manual transmission here in the U.S. are sports cars.

IMO, a sports car without a true manual transmission is an oxymoron. One of my main reasons for liking sports cars is the driving experience it gives. And for me, that means have a shifter and clutch pedal.
Old 02-08-11, 07:19 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
Amen. I do it all of the time. Don't mind it too much.
Old 02-08-11, 07:33 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by meowCat
Hell, even my exotic 2011 Mazdaspeed 3 only comes in manual. Real men drive manual. Sissies drive econobox Mazda 3's and think they're race cool.Case closed.
Fixed for accuracy.

The reason the 3 only comes in a manual is that it's an econobox and the buyers couldn't afford to buy it with an auto.
Old 02-08-11, 07:45 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by S8B
They'll be around as long as there's a demand for them. The only market that still has a demand for manual transmission here in the U.S. are sports cars.

IMO, a sports car without a true manual transmission is an oxymoron. One of my main reasons for liking sports cars is the driving experience it gives. And for me, that means have a shifter and clutch pedal.
The auto trans option in many of the sports cars is better then the manual option, many a car forums have threads discussing how the auto is better
Old 02-08-11, 08:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Andy
Some cars will always be popular as manuals. Mazda Miatas have a wonderful gearchange and the whole point of owning one is to enjoy the handling, top down and flicking through the gears. No one in their right mind buys an auto Miata.
Wrong. Auto Miatas DO sell....especially here in America. Gotta remember (without getting too much into stereotypes), that, although a lot of males also drive them, the Miata is very popular with women, many of whom cannot (or will not) drive a manual, even a relatively easy-to-shift manual like the Miata's.
Old 02-08-11, 09:02 PM
S8B
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
The auto trans option in many of the sports cars is better then the manual option, many a car forums have threads discussing how the auto is better
Better in what? Performance? That's not what I was talking about. It's a given that most modern sport automatic transmissions are capable of outperforming a manual tranny.

I was referring to the driving experience that a manual transmission gives over an auto. I wouldn't touch a sports car unless it was a true manual. And that's a completely subjective point of view.

This is something that many don't seem to understand. Most people buying new cars with manual transmissions aren't getting them for increase in performance, but rather the driving experience. I don't mind sacrificing a fraction of a second for a more enjoyable drive (again, a subjective argument).
Old 02-09-11, 12:32 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Wrong. Auto Miatas DO sell....especially here in America. Gotta remember (without getting too much into stereotypes), that, although a lot of males also drive them, the Miata is very popular with women, many of whom cannot (or will not) drive a manual, even a relatively easy-to-shift manual like the Miata's.
I didn't say they didn't sell. If it helps I've highlighted the relevant part of my post:

Originally Posted by Big Andy

Quick Reply: Will Manual Cars Ever Be Obsolete?