Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Will Manual Cars Last?
Yes, they will always be around.
44.78%
No, they will be obsolete someday.
55.22%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Will Manual Cars Ever Be Obsolete?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-11, 05:31 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Andy
I didn't say they didn't sell. If it helps I've highlighted the relevant part of my post:

Like an auto Wrangler or Corvette...who does that?
Old 02-09-11, 06:48 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If I was to buy a vette, it would be an Auto.

Wrangler is a whole another story, in offroader you a manual is essential. Although if they offered a clutchless manual, that would be even better.
Old 02-09-11, 10:32 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by S8B
Better in what? Performance? That's not what I was talking about. It's a given that most modern sport automatic transmissions are capable of outperforming a manual tranny.

I was referring to the driving experience that a manual transmission gives over an auto. I wouldn't touch a sports car unless it was a true manual. And that's a completely subjective point of view.

This is something that many don't seem to understand. Most people buying new cars with manual transmissions aren't getting them for increase in performance, but rather the driving experience. I don't mind sacrificing a fraction of a second for a more enjoyable drive (again, a subjective argument).
I've heard every side of the story, but in the end whatever floats your boat, but I have had plenty of friends who decided against manuals cause they want to sell them to anyone not have to wait

and the whole control and driving experience, I have driven BMW M3 and M5 with the auto, and you have the experience, your not missing anything

whatever your more comfortable in
Old 02-09-11, 10:45 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
I've heard every side of the story, but in the end whatever floats your boat, but I have had plenty of friends who decided against manuals cause they want to sell them to anyone not have to wait

and the whole control and driving experience, I have driven BMW M3 and M5 with the auto, and you have the experience, your not missing anything

I drove all of these last month....all paddles.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...sent-ever.html

They were plenty engaging and would have been even more difficult to drive hard at the limit with the third pedal. One thing is for sure, I definitely would have been slower in a manual, even though I am quite capable with a manual.
Old 02-09-11, 11:11 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Some posts in this threads are very silly, and basically come down to "I drive a manual so I'm better than you" and vice versa.

When you get past that point, it comes down to this - manuals are becoming more and more obsolete, and will mostly continue to exist in specialty, niche vehicles.

The reason that manuals are still offered in many pedestrian vehicles, is so that the manufacturer can make auto an option and charge an extra $500-2,500 for it. And sometimes, vice versa.
Old 02-09-11, 11:50 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by meowCat
Not necessarily true. For example, 3rd gen Acura TL with Automatic does not cost any more than the 3rd gen Acura TL with Manual. Acura has incorporated BREMBRO brake system with thicker anti-roll bars (which costs more) on the Manual version to even out the cost with the Auto version.

fixed

10 char
Old 02-09-11, 11:57 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Good job, bro.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...dfw-acura.html
Old 02-09-11, 01:17 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

The point still stands, about the manual, that there is still deman for manual. Heck, even the 2011 model BMW 1 and 3 series offer manual and it's what... $500 cheaper? Manuals are everywhere.
And this is precisely why they offer it - so they can charge extra for the auto that everyone wants. IIRC, we paid like $1400 extra for the auto option on the 3er.
Old 02-09-11, 02:02 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
And this is precisely why they offer it - so they can charge extra for the auto that everyone wants. IIRC, we paid like $1400 extra for the auto option on the 3er.
Exactly how the pricing strategy is intended to work in this class of car.
Old 02-09-11, 02:10 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Marzabella
What I feel that most people are missing is that the conventional manual isn't just about control, it's involvement. When you are carving up a nice piece of road, matching engine speeds and gears just perfectly you feel like part of the machine and need to be so much more aware of the conditions than with an epicycle auto of robot manual. I have noticed a huge difference amonst my peers between those that learnt on a manual car and those that didn't. Those that have only ever known the auto pay so much less attention to the traffic and conditions, wafting along in their own world. When the manual dies (and it is likely it will on road vehicles) there will be no more drivers.

Hyperbolic I know, but I really do feel passionately about it.
Some good points, and exactly why my weekend cars have historically been manual-tranny cars (Porsche(s)/Mustang/Miata). And just for giggles, when I go to Mexico on vacation, I have rented manual tranny cars when available.

But I can't get excited about the hyperbolic and romantic notions, I don't really feel passionately about it and if the manual dies it won't bother me.
Old 02-09-11, 06:11 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

The point still stands, about the manual, that there is still deman for manual. Heck, even the 2011 model BMW 1 and 3 series offer manual and it's what... $500 cheaper? Manuals are everywhere.

I don't think that I've ever seen a 550i in an AT. Not that I come across 550s everyday, but when I do I usually take not as I drool all over.

But if you're looking to buy the Cruze, the automatic costs $925 more than the 6 speed and gets 5 MPG fewer. The choice is a no brainer.
Old 02-09-11, 09:01 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Now that is very wrong... not the exotic part, but when you said buyers can't afford auto? Auto's generally cost a thousand bucks if not more. Even Hyundai "Accent" has auto available. Oops you are wrong again. Mazda only allowed manual for "Mazdaspeed3" model for better performance and better driving dynamics. I know you are getting real defensive because you drive an IS-F which only comes in "Auto".
Ya, "better performance and better driving dynamics"....sure, sure.

Bottom line is you'll be staring at the tailights of the faster shifting DCT/PDK/etc. all day. Enjoy being slower 'cause you can't row the gears like you think you can.

I could give a rat's azz about defending anything. Drive whatever you want. You want to make lame arguments that have zero basis on fact.

Btw, I drive autos so that my wife can safely drive them as well. C63 was an option as was the M3 DCT...didn't even look at the stick. Bottom line is that I have no interest in teaching her how to drive a stick in a +400hp car and I'm not selfish enough to buy $70k cars that she can't drive....yet. The IS F "auto" gives me the best of both worlds....faster when pushing it hard....convenient when cruising or in traffic.
Old 02-09-11, 10:57 PM
S8B
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by <VENOM>

Again, that's a subjective point. I've driven some dual clutch automatic transmissions, and I can tell you with confidence, you will not catch me in an "automatic sports car". They just aren't engaging enough and the 'thrill factor' is lost.

I have no problem sacrificing some performance for a better driving experience. If its something I buy [sports car], it's because I'm going to want to enjoy it as much as possible.

But like you said, 'what ever floats your boat'. It all comes down to the individual. So it's pretty pointless to go back and forth arguing about this.

I'm glad automatic transmissions are improving. All I hope for is that the sports car industry does not give up on manual transmissions and give their customers an option to decide. Like someone said, they're probably stick around to a smaller niche of performance vehicles.

P.S. I probably wouldn't get an M5 with a manual transmission anyway.
Old 02-10-11, 06:57 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Marzabella
What I feel that most people are missing is that the conventional manual isn't just about control, it's involvement. When you are carving up a nice piece of road, matching engine speeds and gears just perfectly you feel like part of the machine and need to be so much more aware of the conditions than with an epicycle auto of robot manual. I have noticed a huge difference amonst my peers between those that learnt on a manual car and those that didn't. Those that have only ever known the auto pay so much less attention to the traffic and conditions, wafting along in their own world. When the manual dies (and it is likely it will on road vehicles) there will be no more drivers.

Hyperbolic I know, but I really do feel passionately about it.
In my experiences, manual while on paper more involved, mostly becomes secondary/muscle memory to an experienced driver, similar to riding a bicycle (some, anyway, lol)-- especially when it comes to casual driving, which represents most of my time behind the wheel. In my limited experience on courses, it pretty much leaves more room for error, without any significant benefits. As to being better drivers, I don't really see a direct correlation between the gearbox and good driving, specifically, but rather a driver who chooses to be more attentive, and one who is more passive. There are many auto drivers who love cars, who also make the effort to be good drivers-- the common link is that they both love cars enough, to make themselves more aware.

The driving experience is shaped by a lot more than switching gears, which I think has become far too cliche, in combination with the backroad/twistie thing, IMO. I can say without a doubt, satisfaction for me, comes from total effort required to cut down on lap times. The feeling of objective improvement is just unmatched, especially when you analyze brake points and corner entry, or exit speeds, etc. or if you're lucky, have better drivers to point them out and give guidance. In my experience, that's the significant portion of driving enjoyment and involvement, not so much how my motor stays in its powerband.

Coincidentally, I saw someone stall their car going uphill, yesterday, who could've easily caused an accident (just a light jab at the topic).
Old 02-15-11, 12:28 PM
LexFather

Wanted to chime in. I've been having manual fever as of late. Thing is Lexus manuals suck and are in anemic cars. So basically it would mean a jump from Lexus unless an older IS 300 was turned into a track car or something.

I think they will go away sadly and/or manual retrofits will be a business in the future for those that want to row. There is just something about 3 pedals, even if the car is slower, less efficient and you are not a race car driver. There is simply an interaction that a DSG/Auto/PDK cannot have. Manual/Auto type can of course both put huge grins on a person's face.

Never thought I'd see Ferrari dump manuals but if they go that route that is a huge sign. Its also a Europe thing, Porsche states 60-65% of sales in Europe will be PDK equipped 911s for instance!

Quick Reply: Will Manual Cars Ever Be Obsolete?