Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2012 Chevy Impala to soldier on with new V6, replacement delayed until 2014

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-11, 01:48 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Out of curiousity I checked Impala sales for 2010. 172,000 units sold, +4%. Amazing!

Maybe too profitable to pull the plug on right now, even though its time has come and gone a long time ago. The classic company/rental car.
Pretty good at 14K units sold per month.

Typically profit margin per unit is very low on fleet/rental sales. But at that volume a business case can be made to continue because of it's contribution in terms of total profits (a case at least strictly by the numbers, a case where better auto companies won't bother to entertain).
Old 02-08-11, 02:08 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Out of curiousity I checked Impala sales for 2010. 172,000 units sold, +4%. Amazing!

Maybe too profitable to pull the plug on right now, even though its time has come and gone a long time ago. The classic company/rental car.
Originally Posted by Och
They sell a lot of them to the cops - most of NYC's cops are driving those.
I'd love to see the breakdown of those 172 000 that were not fleet vehicles and were actually purchased by regular joe consumer.
Old 02-08-11, 02:15 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An 8-year run?? How can GM honestly excuse this when they've been on such a role releasing top notch contenders in every other category? They must have run out of money developing the Volt.

Old 02-10-11, 09:46 PM
YEH
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Very poor decision to prolong this car's change. It is one of the darkest spots in GM's line-up right now and needs the most fixing. With a new Malibu just around the corner, it doesn't make sense the not so old Malibu gets changed before the way too old Impala does. Back to backward thinking at GM I guess.
The Malibu is more impt. to GM for retail sales than the Impala; the segment that the Impala competes in (Taurus, Avalon, Maxima, etc.) is a much smaller segment.

As long a enough people and fleet operators continue to buy the Impala, it can wait while GM concentrates on shoring up its models in the bigger selling segments.