Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2012 Hyundai Genesis sedan gets new 5.0L V8, upgraded V6

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-11, 12:05 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KA8
The thing is there are a good number of former merc and bimmer owners that are now genesis owners. Right now it may not seem like much but bottom-line is that Hyundai is profitable and it looks like they're only getting better.
Is it because they just love the Gen so much or because that’s what they can afford now? The trend on many of the auto forums showed people cutting back, most of us witnessed friends and family that did the same over the last 2 years.

For me personally, those that I know that like luxury cars and can still afford them are not cross shopping Hyundai. I sure there are a ton of people who use to own nice cars that can no longer afford them so sure the Gen is a nice bang for the buck.

When they get a money again what do you think they will be driving? People buy MB, BMW, Audi, Lexus often for as much about prestige as they do driving experience, luxury and quality.

As others have noted where they will steal sales from is Acura, Infiniti maybe even the ES along with many others………
Old 02-09-11, 12:11 PM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i wont be so quick to say "they wouldn't take away sales..."

from my personal review in my own neighborhood, 3 new Genesis sedans have been in the driveways where there used to be a 3GS, and 2 E-Class'. and this is just on my swing in on the way to my house. who know's what the rest of the neighborhood has done

Hyundai has something here, and are slowly chiseling away at the competition...maybe it's because of the economy, who knows?!? but from my own test drive of the current V8 available and owning a 3GS and my current 2GS, the Genesis sedan is well worth the buy.

these refresher's only make it that much better...
Old 02-09-11, 12:19 PM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by J.P.
Is it because they just love the Gen so much or because that’s what they can afford now? The trend on many of the auto forums showed people cutting back, most of us witnessed friends and family that did the same over the last 2 years.

For me personally, those that I know that like luxury cars and can still afford them are not cross shopping Hyundai. I sure there are a ton of people who use to own nice cars that can no longer afford them so sure the Gen is a nice bang for the buck.

When they get a money again what do you think they will be driving? People buy MB, BMW, Audi, Lexus often for as much about prestige as they do driving experience, luxury and quality.

As others have noted where they will steal sales from is Acura, Infiniti maybe even the ES along with many others………

even if it is due to the bargain right now and people cutting back, the higher prestigious brands should be alarmed…

for instance:
if I were to buy a Hyundai and it satisfied me for the bargain price compared to it’s competition, I’d definitely be roaming their showroom come time for a trade-in on a new car. Hyundai looks to be on the right track in terms of appealing to the consumer, and that can only mean bad things for the competitors.

snob or not…$10-20k is serious coin to be tossing around in terms of jumping to the competitors. if the consumer can pocket that and still be satisfied with the Hyundai and it’s improvements over the years…I’m sure they’ll do just that!
Old 02-09-11, 12:39 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

Dayum, ill be moving into a hyundai alot sooner than i thought. Hyundai is on a roll
Old 02-09-11, 01:01 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Yep!! Almost every reply on here has the same consensus of what I'm thinking,, Holy crap!! Hyundai just blew everyone out of the water with this new 5 Litre while improving on their V6.. I mean their lowest power car has equivalent power to the BMW E46 M3!

When the Genesis came out i thought, great car and value but not quite there yet.. Even after i drove one, it grew on me but not enough to want to buy one but now... Yep, They have arrived..!! I'm really impressed - The re-fresh looks good, it got that hint of Mercedes AMG in the styling while being Hyundai.. The current version look like a confused Infiniti/BWM/Lexus wannabe.. Definitely a step forward in the right direction.. Definitely making me want one now.. I think this is good because LEXUS WILL HAVE TO STEP THE 4 GEN GS UP!! (which is Great news for all of us GS owners!)

Way to go Hyundai.. If Lexus don't come thru on the new 4Gen-GS then Hello Hyundai 5.0!!
Old 02-09-11, 01:07 PM
LexFather

That is a kick *** update/MMC. Wow, very impressed
\
Originally Posted by INHOCJP
I agree that brand snobbery runs high with German brands, but what about taking away sales from the GS, A6 and M?
There are minimal conquest sales to BMW, Benz, Lexus, and more so from Lincoln, Acura, Infiniti, Saab, those types. Mind you the Genesis never came close to hitting sales goals so its really a moot point.

Old 02-09-11, 01:19 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice updates.

nice headlights.

hyundai is a juggernaut, pushing the envelope. 333hp 291tq.
I hope this gives other car makers a kick in the ***. They seem to have become complacent recently.

at a split second glance, this angle resembles the accord a little too much......

Last edited by dunnojack; 02-09-11 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-09-11, 01:25 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I didn't like the Hyundai Genesis when it came out.Hyundai made etc.
I'm starting to change my mind and would actually consider one now after looking at the those pics and the V6 engine's power.
It's winning me over and I've owned a few Lexus vehicles and BMWs.
No doubt there's others like me but how many is the question.
Old 02-09-11, 01:32 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joeb427
It's winning me over and I've owned a few Lexus vehicles and BMWs.
No doubt there's others like me but how many is the question.
judging by the sales numbers......... not many
Old 02-09-11, 01:34 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
judging by the sales numbers......... not many
That may be true but let's see how this '12 model does...
The car now has my interest...
Old 02-09-11, 01:35 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Wow impressive. Good stuff, itll force other automakers to step up their game!
Old 02-09-11, 01:45 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is some serious stuff from Hyundai. You always hear about certain auto makers TALKING about what they're going to come out with but Hyundai is continually SHOWING us the goods. The dollars and sense of cars like the Genesis and Equus may be a matter of debate but I think these cars have succeeded in gaining Hyundai first-class notice in the auto industry. No longer the joke or punchline, Hyundai is a true force now.
Old 02-09-11, 01:56 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joeb427
That may be true but let's see how this '12 model does...
The car now has my interest...

well, now they'll have 2000 +1 sale one of these months
Old 02-09-11, 02:20 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Looks like Lexus will have to go back to the drawing board with the next GS. I'm guessing it will be delayed another year, or it debuts and a year later, powertrain upgrade like the 3GS.
Old 02-09-11, 02:25 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by situman
Looks like Lexus will have to go back to the drawing board with the next GS. I'm guessing it will be delayed another year, or it debuts and a year later, powertrain upgrade like the 3GS.
The GS debuts next spring and no it won't be delayed.

Quick Reply: 2012 Hyundai Genesis sedan gets new 5.0L V8, upgraded V6