Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2012 Hyundai Genesis sedan gets new 5.0L V8, upgraded V6

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-11, 02:46 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
or it debuts and a year later, powertrain upgrade like the 3GS.
that may happen.

but Hyundai isn't a direct competitor.

merc and bmw still have 300hp or less.
merc is just catching up, and will put a 300hp engine in the E class.

333 hp and 291tq won't make it much faster. maybe 1/10th second.
it's a heavy car.

I'd rather have better mpg than more hp/tq.
GS350 already has enough power. but mpg is pretty ordinary by today's standards.

Last edited by dunnojack; 02-09-11 at 03:00 PM.
Old 02-09-11, 03:08 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by J.P.
Is it because they just love the Gen so much or because that’s what they can afford now? The trend on many of the auto forums showed people cutting back, most of us witnessed friends and family that did the same over the last 2 years.
no joke - while BMW/MB/Lexus continue to show fairly decent sales, it's no secret the economy is in terrible shape. many buying BMW/MB/Lexus NOW may have always dreamed of owning one and are getting into it, or they're brand loyal. others who haven't dreamed of BMW/MB/Lexus or aren't brand loyal will look around, and VALUE will often factor in, even in luxury.

with almost everyone having taken a hit in property value, investment value, retirement funds, etc., i believe relatively fewer people will buy just on brand alone.

the boomers are now beginning to retire in huge numbers, a wave which will continue for a couple of decades, and with medical costs climbing, taxes likely to go up, the inflation looming, retirees will DEFINITELY be looking more to value than in times past. i know people who wanted a mercedes but bought a genesis instead. not a statistically significant thing, and although the dealers aren't fancy, they didn't care, they love their cars and are impressed, and haven't had problems.

When they get a money again what do you think they will be driving?
i think that should be IF and not when.

People buy MB, BMW, Audi, Lexus often for as much about prestige as they do driving experience, luxury and quality.
some people. i really couldn't care about 'prestige' personally. i'm not trying to impress anyone and i don't care if someone ooh's or ah's at the valet.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Mind you the Genesis never came close to hitting sales goals so its really a moot point.
sales goals are just that, goals, and are irrelevant. if their goal had been to sell 5 cars would it now suddenly be a 'roaring success' yet if their goal had been to sell a million it would be a 'dismal failure'?

Originally Posted by dunnojack
I hope this gives other car makers a kick in the ***. They seem to have become complacent recently.
i've no idea on what you base this, but i bet all manufacturers are seriously paranoid.

at a split second glance, this angle resembles the accord a little too much......
uh, and 5/G/E/GS/ES/A/RL/blah/blah...

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
LEXUS WILL HAVE TO STEP THE 4 GEN GS UP!! (which is Great news for all of us GS owners!)
i'm sure GS plans at this point are already cast in setting concrete. an expected refresh of the genesis is not likely to change anything.

Originally Posted by situman
Looks like Lexus will have to go back to the drawing board with the next GS. I'm guessing it will be delayed another year, or it debuts and a year later, powertrain upgrade like the 3GS.
i disagree. see above.

The GS debuts next spring and no it won't be delayed.
Old 02-10-11, 03:35 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

i'm sure GS plans at this point are already cast in setting concrete. an expected refresh of the genesis is not likely to change anything.
Paul, with conventional thinking and logic, you are absolutely right but do you think one competing company is going to let another company out edge them completely? Usually not. Think about it, once one company raises the bar don't you think the other companies would know.. Ofcourse, they all know what each other is up to - this is called "Industry Spying".

This new 5.0 from Hyundai is news to us consumers but to other manufacturers especially the other Luxury brands, this is probably old news as they are all competing for our dollars..

Competition is good, it keeps everyone on their toes...
Old 02-10-11, 05:20 AM
emad2007
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 02-10-11, 07:35 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's amazing to see what Hyundai has become now since the last ten years
Old 02-10-11, 07:45 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Never thought I'd say this... but I'm impressed.
Old 02-10-11, 07:55 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Impressive!
Old 02-10-11, 03:31 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

i dont like the car, dont like the interior at all, but engines are nice... In fact, their new petrols are really top of the line.
Old 02-10-11, 06:50 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A 5.0 V8 getting 25 mpg on the highway? That's better than the 3.5 V6 in my IS is getting!!

to the revised Genesis.
Old 02-10-11, 08:37 PM
LexFather

I just can't see how anyone can't like this. The progression is incredible in just one model generation. They seem to have taken a page out of Jaguar offering different V-8s for the same model, great job. I think labeling it "R spec" is a good idea as a range topping model.

Quite frankly Lexus could take a page out of this for F-sport, adding some sizeable HP bump outside of exhaust/intake gains of 3-5%. You would have base, F-sport with a power bump then "F" for the performance marque.

Kudos to Hyundai.

Old 02-10-11, 08:55 PM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In deed, Kudos to Hyundai. The Genesis update is much more fun and easy to my eyes than the TL.
Old 02-10-11, 09:07 PM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

By the way, does anyone think the *** looks like Infiniti M37/56?
Old 02-10-11, 09:28 PM
YEH
Pole Position

Originally Posted by baddis es
things are looking GREAT for Hyundai...they are really doing what the consumer actually wants from the brand, and that only leads to good things for them.

that same 5.0L is supposed to replace the V6 in the Genesis Coupe, and the current I4 in the coupe will jump to about 280hp from 210hp. Hyundai is hitting the correct spots, IMO.
It's doubtful the 5.0 (or the 4.6) Tau will appear on the MCR Genesis coupe since the Tau won't fit into the engine bay unless Hyundai reworks it quite a bit.

More likely that it will appear on the 2nd gen GenCoupe (tho, I don't think it really makes sense).

The refresh is a mixed bag - the headlights are an improvement but the taillights take a step backwards; the rims on the R-Spec (gee, did they really have to use that moniker?) are a bit busy, but overall an improvement.

It's just too bad Hyundai didn't redo that overly bland/outdated dash/center stack design (it was outdated from the very beginning), but wouldn't make sense financially to do so.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
great upgrades!
anyone who says this still doesn't compete with the GS is, uh, mistaken.
it also blows away the infiniti g sedan, infiniti m, acura tl, and lexus ES.
the driving dynamics of the 5 series are probably still better, but we'll see what the testers of the r-spec think!
The issue w/ the Genesis sedan is its overly stiff ride (much like that of the Infiniti M, but not as bad).

The 5 Series still has its rigidity, but is more compliant over rough surfaces (we'll see how the refreshed Genesis fares in this dept.).

As for driving dynamics, the 5 Series lost quite a bit of it by becoming a smaller 7 Series and BMW handicapping it w/ that artificial steering feel (can't they just leave such things alone instead of muffing them up?).

The steering on the Genesis sedan is middling; one wonders why they can't get the same steering feel on the sedan as they do on the coupe?

Originally Posted by Och
It wont be stealing sales from GS and A6 either - there's nothing to steal. Those who want a GS/A6, are usually very particular about their choice.
Otoh, sales of the GS and M started to fall precipitously about the same time the Genesis was launched.

Coincidence? Maybe, maybe not.

Mind you the Genesis never came close to hitting sales goals so its really a moot point.
Well, the Genesis sedan came close to hitting its sales target in 2010 (again, cannot include the sales target of the coupe) and sales continue to increase/remain steady as the Genesis sedan enters its 4th year of sale in the US.

Not having available AWD kills Genesis sedans in the snow-belt states (which nowadays, apparently is most of the US); w/ AWD, the Genesis sedan could probably increase sales by another 25-30%.

Now a sport trim is nice, but how 'bout a performance line using that supercharged 5.0 putting out 500HP?

It'll definitely will be interesting to see what Toyota does w/ the next GS (the current GS is one of Lexus' better designs; it's just too bad Toyota didn't update it enough to keep it interesting) - are they going to follow in the footsteps of BMW and give us a mini-LS or are they going to go all out and give us a true sports sedan?

Last edited by YEH; 02-10-11 at 09:36 PM.
Old 02-14-11, 12:45 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Impressive engine updates .

Not a fan of the exterior updates. Front update looks decent, but the rear looks more downscale IMO. Rear end now looks more like a Maxima or Infiniti M.

You have to wonder though with Hyundai making so many engine updates so quickly, how will reliability hold up long-term?
Old 02-14-11, 04:49 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Genesis sales will never have big numbers unless there's a AWD option.
Especially after this snowy winter in the Northeast.

Quick Reply: 2012 Hyundai Genesis sedan gets new 5.0L V8, upgraded V6