Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2012 Hyundai Genesis sedan gets new 5.0L V8, upgraded V6

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-11, 04:55 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hyundai is really stepping it up, but i dont like the back end especially the tailights
Old 02-14-11, 08:51 AM
TLe2006
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by memasterac

By the way, does anyone think the *** looks like Infiniti M37/56?
they made it look better eventhough it's a copy.
Old 02-14-11, 08:52 AM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Impressive engine updates .

Not a fan of the exterior updates. Front update looks decent, but the rear looks more downscale IMO. Rear end now looks more like a Maxima or Infiniti M.

You have to wonder though with Hyundai making so many engine updates so quickly, how will reliability hold up long-term?
While it is a pain to have a car that will live in the dealership, 100,000 mile warranty is the answer to your question.

Kudos to Hyundai.
Old 02-14-11, 11:00 AM
OceanView
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Impressive update!
Definitely will take a test drive when these are available.

Much kudos to Hyundai for bringing improvements to the market.
Other automakers will have to step up their game as well.
In the end consumers will benefit with better choices and options for our auto needs.
Old 02-14-11, 02:30 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vroomin350
While it is a pain to have a car that will live in the dealership, 100,000 mile warranty is the answer to your question.

Kudos to Hyundai.
I did say long-term, so I meant past the warranty period . I'd love to see what reliability will be like at 150K, or say 250K.
Old 02-14-11, 03:14 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,408 Likes on 1,579 Posts

I'd love to see what reliability will be like at 150K, or say 250K.
could be a long wait. there's anecdotes for all brands of cars running 150, 250k or a million miles with proper care. but after 100k ALL cars begin to need some expensive repairs sooner or later.

anyway, in the next few years there's going to be a ton of changes with chinese cars entering the fray.
Old 02-14-11, 03:27 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
could be a long wait. there's anecdotes for all brands of cars running 150, 250k or a million miles with proper care. but after 100k ALL cars begin to need some expensive repairs sooner or later.

anyway, in the next few years there's going to be a ton of changes with chinese cars entering the fray.
considering that top selling cars in china are from joint ventures with foreign companies, i dont think there is anything to fear from china. If i remember correctly, for 2009, there was only 1 chinese brand among top 10 most sold brands in China, again If i remember correctly, it was Cherry at #8 spot.
Old 02-14-11, 08:05 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I wouldn't jump to conclusions about the Chinese just yet as spywolf points out. Even the Chinese in China are not buying Chinese cars in big numbers, so why would people outside of China buy Chinese cars in big numbers?

Chinese cars will end up basically like cheaper Hyundais when they arrive in North America. They will compete at the bottom of the market, and really erode sales of brands like Hyundai and Kia who compete at the bottom.
Old 02-15-11, 06:05 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

sedan looks great....and YES they are planning to put the 429hp motor in the coupe as well!!!! Hopefully the coupe gets a mild facelift as well.

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-new...n-ar92434.html

still vote that they go back to their own emblem...

Old 02-15-11, 10:25 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I actually like the coupe. I don't know why they named the sedan and the coupe Genesis, as these two cars are clearly worlds apart, but the coupe is actually good looking, and its just generally awesome that someone is making a modestly priced RWD sporty coupe.
Old 02-15-11, 10:49 AM
WAES300
Driver

It is odd to me as well both the coupe and sedan have the Genesis nameplate... The interior in the sedan strikes me as much more upscale than the coupe. Coupe looks like a Tiburon 2.0.. Not in the same league as G37, 128, etc.
Old 02-16-11, 02:54 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Honestly, it seems the only reason they named both Genesis was to make the Genesis coupe seem more "upscale" than it really is, and to makes Genesis sales look better.

Yeah, I'm not sure that's the best idea if the Genesis coupe is getting the 5.0L V8. I doubt that many Mustang or Camaro buyers will be stolen by Hyundai. If I was given the choice, I'd rather drive a Mustang or Camaro over a Genesis coupe any day.

Hyundai likes to point out that everything they do is researched, designed, and produced "in-house". I wonder how this is possible, when Hyundai continually has had a low R&D budget over the last 10 years. Where is all this R&D money coming from? Or are some of these designs merely "borrowed" from other automakers?
Old 02-16-11, 08:21 PM
YEH
Pole Position

Chinese cars will end up basically like cheaper Hyundais when they arrive in North America. They will compete at the bottom of the market, and really erode sales of brands like Hyundai and Kia who compete at the bottom.
By the time the Chinese automakers arrive in any significant nos., Hyundai and to a lesser extent, Kia, won't have as much to worry about (the Chinese would take some sales, but they would take it from everybody).

It's more automakers like Mitsu and Suzuki which have to worry (albeit new Suzuki models like the Kizashi are pretty darn good, Suzuki has little brand recognition and still has to compete largely on price).

Originally Posted by bagwell
sedan looks great....and YES they are planning to put the 429hp motor in the coupe as well!!!! Hopefully the coupe gets a mild facelift as well.
Highly unlikely for the refresh. The Tau V8 won't fit into the coupe's engine bay unless Hyundai some significant reworking - which just wouldn't be worth it for a low volume trim.

Originally Posted by WAES300
It is odd to me as well both the coupe and sedan have the Genesis nameplate... The interior in the sedan strikes me as much more upscale than the coupe. Coupe looks like a Tiburon 2.0.. Not in the same league as G37, 128, etc.
The next gen GenCoupe is going upscale and will compete against the G37, which was always its more natural competition than the pony cars.

While there are reports that the 2nd gen GenCoupe may include a V8 version, it wouldn't make sense at that pricepoint (even w/ the GC slated to go higher in price), esp. since the GenCoupe would be more like the coupe version of the upcoming Hyundai 3 Series competitor.

A V8 powered coupe would only really make sense (tho, maybe not as much financial sense) if Hyundai were to develop a separate, true coupe version of the next gen Genesis sedan.

Honestly, it seems the only reason they named both Genesis was to make the Genesis coupe seem more "upscale" than it really is, and to makes Genesis sales look better.
More like the initial plans were to launch them under a Genesis brand.

Hyundai likes to point out that everything they do is researched, designed, and produced "in-house". I wonder how this is possible, when Hyundai continually has had a low R&D budget over the last 10 years. Where is all this R&D money coming from? Or are some of these designs merely "borrowed" from other automakers?
The percentage Hyundai spends on R&D in comparison to revenue is on the higher end for auto-makers (and w/ the recent spurt in worldwide revenue, that has led to a correlating increase in R&D spending; for 2010, Hyundai allocated 4.6 trillion won for R&D).

Plus, Hyundai doesn't have nearly the breathe of product in its lineup like Toyota or GM, nor have as many variations of product w/in the same segment.
Old 02-16-11, 11:09 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

As a percentage of revenue, Hyundai spends less than Honda or Nissan on R&D. Honda does spend quite a bit of R&D on science projects like Asimo and HondaJet though.

Only recently in the last 2-3 years has Hyundai increased R&D spending to competitive levels as a percentage of revenue.

This is not just about revenue though. You have to wonder how Hyundai 's R&D spending is only a fraction of Honda and Nissan, yet has a far larger engine lineup than Honda, and an overall vehicle lineup about the same as Honda and slightly smaller than Nissan. On top of that, Nissan doesn't even design everything in-house. Some of their hybrid technology is licensed from Toyota, some of their transmissions are from other companies, and they also collaborate and participate in several partnerships with other automakers spreading the cost of R&D.

It only raises suspicions that Hyundai "borrowed" some designs from certain competitors instead of truly spending the time and money to develop on their own.