Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Looking to buy an SUV, need recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-11, 01:00 PM
jmax.garage
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking to buy an SUV, need recommendations

So, my loaner car, which is a 2000 4 cyl grand am with 170K, knocking bad, about to die. Time to get another car! The only SUV I have owned was a 99 Isuzu trooper and it was nice and roomy but I am scared of getting a car that no longer is sold in the US (or the manufacturer has taken wings from the US)

Looking finance up to 5K, 3K down. Total budget: 8K

Looking at the following SUV's:

Nissan XTerra: I do not know anyone who owns one, so I do not know anything about it: reliable? would it be good to get one with 100K miles? common issues?

4Runner: My dad owned a 99 and the car is damn small but it is reliable. Not scared to get one with high miles at all... btu again, damn small for kids.

Highlander: Drove a couple of them when I was working at Precision Toyota and they are roomy and nice, yet the only ones i can find under 9K are high mileage...

Ford Escape/Mazda Tribute: I know no one who owns such vehicles and I am scared to buy a Ford... unless proven otherwise.

I also like the Honda Element, Subie Outback and would consider a 4-door truck as well but I don't seem to find any under 10K.

I like XTerras but i don't know what to expect if it is high mileage...

I need to make a decision before the end of this month since the grand am is refusing to accelerate past 55 mph

Thanks fellas.
Old 02-10-11, 01:25 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'd go with the 4 runner. You don't have much to spend, and it will last forever. I don't think its that small.
Old 02-10-11, 01:44 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Outback. I just took my Subie in for maintenance that I just figured I would have done since it had been so long since having a repair...I'm talking years!

My brother had a Mariner as company car. I liked it. Pretty quick for the dated 3.0L it had. Did about 25 MPG Hwy which isn't too shabby either for the day.
Old 02-10-11, 01:57 PM
nikko2jzge
Driver

For a budget of 8K, that will get you into a reliable 3rd generation 4runner. I had a 2001, put close to 190,000 miles on it. The only problem I had was an oxygen sensor went out.
Old 02-10-11, 03:26 PM
Raralith
Intermediate

I'd get the 4runner or the Highlander based off of those but I understand the size difference with the Highlander because that's what my wife has. If you are looking for a kid hauler, the 4runner seats 4 great (husband, wife, 2 kids), but it definately gets a little bit tight with 5 (3 in the back). My wife has the Highlander 7 seater from the optionally 3rd row, but we fit 2 adults (and not skinny or medium "build" adjults btw...), and a car seat in the middle and it was very comfortable. So, if you are expecting to bring 5 people or so around, consider the Highlander. Quality wise for the Toyota's though, they'll stand up very well so unless the Highland has a grossly high milage compared to the 4runner, give it a good consideration.
Old 02-10-11, 03:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Both the 4Runner and XTerra are truck-based, off-road-capable, and (especially the XTerra) stiff-riding. They may not be the best purchases if you want something smooth, family-oriented and comfortable. But the 4Runner, as you note, is reliable, the Xterra somewhat less-so. The Xterra would likely be cheaper as a used-vehicle, though, because it depreciates more.

Highlanders are generally reliable, better-suited for on-road/family use, but, as you note, depreciate little and are not cheap as used vehicles. Hybrid models were built, but would be harder to find, and more-expensive, as used-vehicles.

The Honda Element is also reliable (one of the best), versatile inside, and has the advantage of an easy-to-clean, hose-it-out interior with rubber floor covering and water-resistant seat-upholstery. The Element has side-doors that also make things easy to load.

The Escape/Mariner/Tribute is basically well-designed, versatile, and (IMO) pleasant to drive. The early models (say, from 2000 up to 2003 or 2004) had some long-term reliability problems, but later models were more reliable....about average in reliability. The second-generation models had spongy, ineffective brakes and sloppy handling, but were otherwise decent small SUVs. Hybrid models were also done for better MPG, but, like the Highlander, they will be harder to find as used-cars, and be somewhat more expensive.

The Outback (I own one myself) is generally reliable, offers the most car-like driving experience of all the vehicles you mentioned (because it is essentially a car...a raised-height Legacy wagon), laughs at snowstorms, has Subaru's excellent Symemmetrical AWD system, and is probably the most pleasant-to-drive as an all-around Daily Driver. But the Outback, compared to the others, is rather small inside if you need family-sized room, is borderline underpowered in the non-turbo 2.5L automatic versions, and a number of the ones built before 2003 had (potential) head-gasket and rear wheel-bearing problems, so avoid those model-years.

BTW, besides the vehicles you listed, you could also consider the Honda Pilot, Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV-4, Subaru Tribeca, and Mitsubishi Outlander. The Outlander has been reasonably reliable, depreciates fast, (so it is inexpensive as a used-car) and could be an alternative if you don't care for any of the others. The Tribeca hasn't been on the market that long, but shares the 6-cylinder Outback's reliability and mechanicals, and because of low popularity, depreciated quickly, so prices will drop off fast with age. The CR-V is extremely well-built and dead-reliable (it shares its powertrain/chassis with the Element), but doesn't have the Element's hose-it-out body/interior, and may not have enough power for you.

Good Luck.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-10-11 at 03:54 PM.
Old 02-10-11, 04:01 PM
jmax.garage
Instructor

Awesome! thank you guys for the info. Im going to buy a GMC Sierra.

Just kidding. The highlander it is. I think it is worth spending a bit more money on a car like this. If I happen to find an Element it will become a tough choice...

Thank you so much guys!
Old 02-10-11, 04:05 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Are you looking for cargo room or passenger space? The Highlander offers the small third row for the occasional use.

If you find the right 4Runner it will be bulletproof. One of the service advisors at my Toyota dealer has a 2000 4Runner with the 3.4L V6 with 300k miles on it and it has never seen anything other than routine maintenance and some typical maintenance (timing belt, water pump, etc.). It has never needed any engine/transmission work and he never hesitates to loan it out to customers for the day.

We've gotten so many 4Runners in with high mileage that still run strong. The bodies are all beat up and rusted out (owners don't really take of them anymore cosmetically at this point) but mechanically they're still sound.

As for Highlanders, we get many of them in with 150-200k miles as well. We even had a 2006 Highlander Hybrid come in with 275k miles.

Last edited by RX_330; 02-10-11 at 04:11 PM.
Old 02-10-11, 04:13 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

How many kids and what age? I also have a Subaru Outback (07) and it is not really a SUV, but a midsize wagon. (It's a tall Legacy.) I understand that car seats in the back are very tight.

I seriously considered an Element, but it was too tall for my wife to enter from her wheelchair. The AWD system isn't as sophisticated as the Subaru system. You can't get leather, but some trim levels have anti-stain protection on both front and back seats. The car didn't change much over it's run except to move the front shoulder belts from the door to the seats in about 06. (This is good because you can buy an older one without giving up too much.) If you are going to be taking kids to activities, I imagine it would be a PITA given the clamshell doors. You have to open the front door in order to open the rear door. Before 06, you also had to take off the front seat seatbelt.

Good luck in your search.
Old 02-10-11, 04:29 PM
jli
Driver School Candidate

how about a 01 and up infiniti qx4 or the nissan pathfinder? they are both good cars
Old 02-10-11, 05:11 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

With a very limited $8K budget (as stated above) the Highlander/RX and 4-runners are best/top 2 choices for relatively reliable SUV's. Best of luck with the shopping.
Old 02-10-11, 06:15 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Highlander is a good choice, and if your thinking pickup tacoma double cab is also an option, but will have high mileage and not so much room.
Old 02-10-11, 09:16 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Range Rover Sport?
Old 02-10-11, 09:43 PM
jmax.garage
Instructor

2 kids 3 adults and roomie. Of all the cars mentioned i have driven all xcep xterras and the land rover. Being a previous toyota tech myself, im leaning towards the highlander since appears to have the best room and also im not too worried about it being high mileage. I think it rides very smooth as well. I was hoping too find an rx300 but i cant lie to myself, it is too small for 2 kids in car seats, 2 adults and good cargo space. Im already checking out 3 highlanders on saturday. Thank you for your suggestions guys!
Old 02-11-11, 05:58 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kidzik007
The highlander it is. I think it is worth spending a bit more money on a car like this. If I happen to find an Element it will become a tough choice...

Thank you so much guys!
Yeah, if your budget is only $8k I'd def. take the Highlander over the 4Runner given the rise in gas prices. My bro-in law has been enjoying his 4Runner for 6 years now, but it gets 12 MPG around the streets of NYC. That's alot of money down the tube.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy an SUV, need recommendations