Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Should the Government apologize to Toyota and give money back?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-11, 09:42 AM
superchan7
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think the govt. owes any money back. The fines were for delayed reporting of incidents and problems, which DID exist as far as pedals/mats were concerned.

Toyota never admitted any electronic problems, and the govt. finally agrees. Sure, an apology would be nice, but Toyota should just move on and give consumers some GOOD PRODUCT.
Old 02-12-11, 10:19 AM
dsnowgs4
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
It is a truly sad situation, in order to maintain the image that they've spent millions to protect from tarnishing, they cannot sue. In the end, Toyota must be the gentleman and walk away. They do deserve the penalties they paid though, that is just wrong. Also, they deserve a public apology from government and mass media that participated in this lynching. I'm glad there are groups like CL that help spread the message of truth, most of us here on CL didn't give into peer pressure and have supported Toyota from the beginning.
+1

Exactly. The fear mongering from the press pushed the Gov and public to act. During the whole thing I would tell people that the statistical chances of these supposed problems happening were less than you winning the lotto..

Toyota should not sue the govt, but if they were smart they should market and leverage off these new findings. I mean they could put a commercial out there saying that NASA testing could not find any problems.

Either way as many people were saying on here it was an unwarranted set of events.
Old 02-12-11, 10:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I hope the new generation of Toyota/Lexus murders GM/Chrysler.
Not likely, with superb products out there now like the Chevy Malibu, Buick LaCrosse/Regal, Chevy Cruze, the new Dodge Charger, Chrysler 300, and Jeep Grand Cherokee. The days of GM building cheap garbage have been over now for a few years, and the days of Chrysler doing so are just now coming to an end.....though these new Chrysler products, of course, are going to have to prove their worth in better reliability. Only time, of course, will tell that.

Give it to GM and Chrysler
True, but, it looks like something positive came from that money.

Pathetic, not on the news at all. Nothing.
I guess it depends on which news you watched. The Jim Leherer PBS News Hour (one of my favorites) did a long story on it a couple of nights ago that didn't just fluff it off as nothing. In fact, they had transportation Secretary Ray LaHood on camera for a roughly 10-15 minute interview, where he hinmself discussed the case and its findings.