Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

is FRONT WHEEL drive sufficient for driving in snow?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-11, 12:14 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

FWD should be fine. Most of the snow that falls in the morning melts by the afternoon anyway. I drove a small manual car when I lived out there years ago. No issues. Chains are usually required west of Denver in the mountains. I wasn't a fan of the sand they used instead of salt and 85 octane. On the plus side, no premature car deterioration from the salt and super low humidity.

FYI, Denver has a phenominal bus system. Market Street Station around 16th and Blake in Lodo (Lower Downtown) is the hub. If you find yourself a place to live around there, you can hop the bus to anywhere. Stapleton is just minutes away.
Old 02-11-11, 01:35 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You'll be fine with dedicated snow tires.
Old 02-11-11, 01:53 PM
LexFather

I've seen way to many FWD cars stuck in snow, its better but it can't beat AWD. Snow tires are KEY.

We were very happy with how our AWD 400h handled snow/ice here recently. It is a 50/50 full time split in normal driving until slippage is detected.

Originally Posted by dsnowgs4
Make sure to get the S just so you can **** of 1SICKLEX.
Who is pissed off? I think giant red badges are ricer and the G is a GS knock-off. The knock-off is upsetting, down to the tri spoke wheels nearly identical to the 450h.

Old 02-11-11, 02:58 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWD Camry with all season tires and I'm good here, never been stuck, just got to be careful with the throttle.

Last edited by lamar411; 02-13-11 at 03:16 PM.
Old 02-11-11, 04:25 PM
dsnowgs4
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Who is pissed off? I think giant red badges are ricer and the G is a GS knock-off. The knock-off is upsetting, down to the tri spoke wheels nearly identical to the 450h.
I am just joking and trying to bust your ***** bro..

I think the whole Infiniti/S badge topic is just so funny... I am amazed at how passionate you are about it...I mean we have like 3-4 threads dedicated to the S badge now right? You have become THE ANTI Ricer crusader.. lol

And frankly saying the G is a GS knock-off is like saying Megan Fox is a knock-off of Mila Kunis. Or Vivica Fox is a Knock off of Halle Berry..

Who Cares.!??!. They are all smokin HOT....

Speaking of which, the OP can also get one of these with AWD within your price range.

Old 02-11-11, 06:35 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts

FWD has always been good enough to get me through the snow as long as I had decent tires. You certainly can't go wrong with a WRX though. AWD would still be your best bet.

I recommend the 04-07 STI's personally. The new WRX's get the job done, but the older ones looked better.
Old 02-11-11, 06:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
FWD has always been good enough to get me through the snow as long as I had decent tires. You certainly can't go wrong with a WRX though. AWD would still be your best bet.

I recommend the 04-07 STI's personally. The new WRX's get the job done, but the older ones looked better.
With either the WRX or STI, though, don't try and get throgh snow with the stock summer high-performance tires. Even with a Subaru, you need all-seasons or dedicated snow tires.....that's why most non-turbo Subies come with all-seasons stock. My Outback, with all-season Bridgestones, is a classic snow-bunny....it's almost unstoppable, even in blizzards.
Old 02-11-11, 08:25 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I've owned FWD, RWD, and AWD vehicles in Michigan over the past few decades and haven't been stuck once. When I used to drive nearly 35K miles per year, I was on the road in most any weather. (I only drive about 25-27K miles a year now and work at home on the worst days.) Good winter tires certainly help, although certain all-season tires like Nokian WR G2 and Goodyear TripleTred do quite well. One of the surprisingly good winter cars was my wife's 92 RWD, manual transmission Miata with winter tires and sand in the trunk. One of the surprisingly bad winter cars was my leased AWD Lincoln MKZ that would get squirrely on mixed ice / clear pavement - even with winter tires.

Overall, my AWD Sierra Denali (with all-season tires) and AWD Subaru Outback (current winter driver with all-season GY TripleTreds) have been the best. The worst was my FWD 94 Mazda 626 with stock all-season tires which sometimes took multiple running starts to get up my sloped driveway.
Old 02-11-11, 09:43 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by dsnowgs4
I am just joking and trying to bust your ***** bro..

I think the whole Infiniti/S badge topic is just so funny... I am amazed at how passionate you are about it...I mean we have like 3-4 threads dedicated to the S badge now right? You have become THE ANTI Ricer crusader.. lol

And frankly saying the G is a GS knock-off is like saying Megan Fox is a knock-off of Mila Kunis. Or Vivica Fox is a Knock off of Halle Berry..

Who Cares.!??!. They are all smokin HOT....

Speaking of which, the OP can also get one of these with AWD within your price range.
I guess I'm amazed at how passionate you are about it Its ricerish, its my opinion and I didn't realize you owned one until I looked at your sig. Your memory is hazy, it was one thread, not several.

GS-Kim Kardashian
G-Khloe Kardashian

If it appeals to you, that is great. I'd rather take the bus.

Old 02-12-11, 10:07 AM
dsnowgs4
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
With either the WRX or STI, though, don't try and get throgh snow with the stock summer high-performance tires. Even with a Subaru, you need all-seasons or dedicated snow tires.....that's why most non-turbo Subies come with all-seasons stock. My Outback, with all-season Bridgestones, is a classic snow-bunny....it's almost unstoppable, even in blizzards.
Agreed... just because your car has AWD does not mean it will work in the snow with bad tires. But that being said I know many people who use Subies with only all season tires and not dedicated snows and they are suprisingly useful.

Originally Posted by Kira X
FWD has always been good enough to get me through the snow as long as I had decent tires. I recommend the 04-07 STI's personally. The new WRX's get the job done, but the older ones looked better.
Yep the older ones are way better looking... But I am still torn about if the wing is cool or not.

I guess if it had an S badge then I may think it was cool.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I guess I'm amazed at how passionate you are about it Its ricerish, its my opinion and I didn't realize you owned one until I looked at your sig. Your memory is hazy, it was one thread, not several.

GS-Kim Kardashian
G-Khloe Kardashian

If it appeals to you, that is great. I'd rather take the bus.
So your saying that the GS is a quasi **** star who is ashamed of its history? J/K LOL

Hazy...One thread?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...th-market.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-infiniti.html

And hey everyone has a right to an opinion I think many of your Nissan observations are accurate and funny..

I guess my issue with it is that I have a moral problem with the word ricer. Regardless of how you put it in context or what car brand you attack. You could just as easily use the word Nig*** or Chin# or Jew instead. And I am pretty sure you get the idea of what that type of retoric that can instigate.

But I guess I am clueless and out of line...and since you are not passionate about it I will never see you reference the S badge in the future.

All I am saying is that maybe you should really leave the ricer propoganda to the professionals.

Old 02-12-11, 01:35 PM
Kdash106
Pole Position

I just sold my Evo 9 mr, it had a dedcated snow tires and I was digging thru snow like nothing. like the other said, snow will clear off the road really quick, normally 2 days max, if u don't go to mountains FWD is fine.
Old 02-12-11, 04:09 PM
Parkland
Driver School Candidate

When I lived in jersey and it snowed I'd go borrow something more snowmobile(I usually have a small 2 passenger something) but I own a jeep subarea, vw dealership so I'd take something for the snow in addition to all the new jeeps and subareas there was every kind of 4wd on the lot but the subarea was the bes,went through everything
Old 02-12-11, 09:49 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I have an es300 and drive to ski country every weekend. While starting from a stop it truggles a bit, it is completely managable and is pretty good in any other scenario with the snow tires i have one it. Even rwd, with snow tires, is bearable
Old 02-12-11, 10:24 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used to drive my SC300 everywhere when it was my only car. I drove it through snow blizzards here in NYC all the time. It would get extremely squirrely and scary at times (so many white-knuckle driving stories). It got better with snow tires but still the occasional spin and slip. So I think totally doable with a FWD and snows. But if there is regularly foot tall drifts or such, you can't go wrong with a 4WD/AWD vehicle. But if you want to stay invincible, get a vehicle with high road clearance, like the outback' or a real SUV. My FJ rocked this winter in NYC with all the snow.
Old 02-14-11, 04:49 PM
LunaVyohr
Lead Lap

I drive RWD and I live in Colorado, visiting Denver frequently, and I manage fine. AWD/4WD isn't always the saving grace people think it is. It's much more about the driver than the car most of the time.

Quick Reply: is FRONT WHEEL drive sufficient for driving in snow?