Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Which AWD sedan is #1 in snow? What about Infiniti?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-12, 04:03 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Blackraven
I heard Haldex-based AWD systems are good as well (like what Volvo uses). Granted, it's more front-biased........but still, it shouldn't be a downside imho
Haladex is considered to be one of the weakest. Check out this video for proof.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De0RstOO_iY

I will forever select Subaru as supreme, having spent four winters in the mountains of central Pennsylvania. I was the guy who was always trying to get the car stuck at the top of the hill. My Subaru never let me down. Last winter took the prize when we had that terrible storm involving 12 inches of thick, wet snow over top of a sheet of ice. There I was in my Legacy plowing along.

I recently got into an '05 Legacy GT. Though not as posh as the '09 that I had hoped to buy, the leather seats, 4 stage butt warmers, and heated windshield wiper de-icer make me feel like I am in a fancier car than a Subaru. Not to mention this car is quite fast (C&D reporting 0-60 in 5.3 seconds), yet surprisingly efficient as I am averaging 24 MPG. I would have pegged my dad's '02 A6 as the best handling car that I had ever driven, until I got my '05 LGT. I'm bummed that they are discontinuing it for 2013.
Old 03-14-12, 06:30 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Tl has two huge benefits...you can use the beak as a snowplow and it literally scares snow away

Yep, I even put that beak on my Lexus for those reasons.

Which AWD sedan is #1 in snow?  What about Infiniti?-tburv.jpg
Old 03-14-12, 11:26 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@1SICK and Och

Haha that was funny
Old 03-15-12, 07:42 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Subaru dominates the market here in the various high elevation populated communities. I just see nothing but Subaru's here in Big Bear, Lake Tahoe, etc. If I lived in these places I would probably buy an Outback myself. Great cars.
Old 03-15-12, 06:02 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tires tires tire tires. I used to drive my SC300 all year long in NYC since 1993. RWD with traction control. Driven it through rain, sleet, ice, and tons of snow. Real snow where the city shut down. With a set of Blizzaks, the car went everywhere. All AWD systems will suffer with crappy OE all-seasons. People are willing to comparison shop thousands on various AWD cars and options but not on a good set of snow tires.

A Subaru with snow tires will run circles around a Honda SH-AWD vehicle with all-seasons, even if the Honda system is supposedly better.

If you like the G37x and can get it for a good price, buy it. And get a set of snow tires.
Old 03-16-12, 09:30 AM
gsmon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by T0ked
Tires tires tire tires. I used to drive my SC300 all year long in NYC since 1993. RWD with traction control. Driven it through rain, sleet, ice, and tons of snow. Real snow where the city shut down. With a set of Blizzaks, the car went everywhere. All AWD systems will suffer with crappy OE all-seasons. People are willing to comparison shop thousands on various AWD cars and options but not on a good set of snow tires.

A Subaru with snow tires will run circles around a Honda SH-AWD vehicle with all-seasons, even if the Honda system is supposedly better.

If you like the G37x and can get it for a good price, buy it. And get a set of snow tires.
The problem with newer Subaru's is that they are noisy, somewhat uncomfortable and have a lot of plastic, which tends to breakdown.

Out of 328xi, TL and G37x, the G37x is the best value for money but a predominantly RWD car until the computer detects loss of traction. Surprisingly, 328s aren't too bad either (while in the warranty period).
Old 03-16-12, 10:32 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

IMO the AWD 3 series just doesn't look right - its lifted a bit for additional ground clearance and just looks wrong.
Old 03-19-12, 05:47 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gsmon
The problem with newer Subaru's is that they are noisy, somewhat uncomfortable and have a lot of plastic, which tends to breakdown.
I recogonize my bias relating to my recent purchase of a Legacy GT, so I will disclose this upfront. I considered getting a new Legacy 2.5i, with a 6MT to spare me from the efficient drone of the CVT, but Subaru has really changed the Legacy for the worse. It's a nice vehicle, but my '05 feels like a luxury car to me. It's smooth, too quiet, comfortable and has many features, such as dual zone digital climate control to name one. I didn't get that feel of "class" from the its frumpy, larger predecessor. Anywho, I was very impressed by the re-designed Impreza. For $18k, the interior far, far exceeds its competition. A new WRX may be in my future in a few years.

Originally Posted by Och
IMO the AWD 3 series just doesn't look right - its lifted a bit for additional ground clearance and just looks wrong.
I enjoyed my dad's '06 330xi. However, it was impossible to shift gears 1 through 4 smoothly.