Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Which AWD sedan is #1 in snow? What about Infiniti?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-11, 11:58 AM
roushracin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which AWD sedan is #1 in snow? What about Infiniti?

Don't post here much but am always reading the posts. My wife and I are looking into an AWD sedan. I found a '10 Infiniti G37x at a great price w/ every option but don't know a lot abou Infiniti. Anyone with experience on the brand? Also, what other AWD sedans come to mind. I've looked into Audi and I just don't trust their reliability and their price is way too much. Looking to stay around 30K.

Thanks,
Bob
Old 02-11-11, 12:14 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Acura RL and TL with SH-AWD system are easily the best in snow, bar none.

Infiniti's AWD system snow performance is marginal if not mediocre.
Old 02-11-11, 12:23 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Acura RL and TL with SH-AWD system are easily the best in snow, bar none.

Infiniti's AWD system snow performance is marginal if not mediocre.
There's actually a test out there that tested snow performance of those AWD cars?
Old 02-11-11, 12:32 PM
dsnowgs4
Pole Position

Well I can say my G35x is fine in the snow. But I typically drive around with out the VDC on as it is much more fun and will act like a RWD car in the snow.

Not sure where Och is coming from but I have been blasting around town here during our recent snow storms and I take my car skiing with no problems what so ever. I have also driven an 09 FX in the snow and it was really easy to drive. All the new AWD systems will do just fine in the snow.

I have not tried the new Acura system but it looks pretty good. The real snow cars are the Subaru's and Audi's. Oh and the Evo is pretty darn good too.

If I was going to race with one car in the snow it would be the Evo STI or S4.

Here is a comparo. With people drifting around.

Acura TL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcD0Th2w7Ns

G35x
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymlRPFGmDbs

Old WRX STI.. but the AWD system has not changed that much..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YM88RaBf3wc
Old 02-11-11, 12:48 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

I think Nissan's best AWD systems easily trump the Honda's
Old 02-11-11, 12:54 PM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

IMHO, Audi's are defined by their Quattro.. Acura's SH-AWD is the next best thing..
Old 02-11-11, 01:28 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

This is hilarious to read.

Honda's SH-AWD system is indeed superior to those in Infiniti, Subaru, Audi, and pretty much all the rest. With dedicated snow tires it will rival even the part time 4wd trucks with locking axles.

Infiniti's with their typical low profile performance tires (especially 20's on the FX) shouldn't even be driven in snow without dedicated snow tires.

Subaru's and Audi's are decent, but they are still just mechanical torsen LSD systems. Get them into a position where one side of the car is on ice, going uphill, and see if they move
Old 02-11-11, 01:37 PM
LexFather

All awd systems are fine. Tires again are key. I've seen them all stuck in snow too. The g37 has great value and is fine with awd. It reminds me to much of a knock off GS, it lacks some refinement and the brand does nothing for me but that is my personal opinion. That said for the price it's hard to beat.

Old 02-11-11, 01:39 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Mercedes' 4Matic isn't bad either. There have been several comparisons between Audi, BMW and Mercedes' cars in snow on German television. It's usually a battle between Quattro and 4Matic. X-Drive in BMW sedans isn't as competitive, apparently. The E350 4Matic apparently has better snow traction and handling qualities than the comparable A6.
Old 02-11-11, 01:41 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
All awd systems are fine. Tires again are key. I've seen them all stuck in snow too.
And thats basically the bottom line. In most real world conditions, with most any AWD system and proper tires, the only thing stopping a sedan will be snow that is too deep to clear the bottom of the car.

The worst thing about AWD are the drivers. A lot of people get AWD SUVs and sedans with low profile summer tires (FX45, X6, RR Sport, etc), or install huge chrome wheels on their Escalads and Tahoes, and then drive in snow like they are invincible. And when it comes time to brake, its epic fail time.
Old 02-11-11, 01:43 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DustinV
Mercedes' 4Matic isn't bad either. There have been several comparisons between Audi, BMW and Mercedes' cars in snow on German television. It's usually a battle between Quattro and 4Matic. X-Drive in BMW sedans isn't as competitive, apparently. The E350 4Matic apparently has better snow traction and handling qualities than the comparable A6.
Don't quote me on, because I'm not 100% on this, but I believe the new generation of BMW's is going to be using torque vectoring AWD system similar to Acuras. I believe upcoming X3 is the first to be equipped with such.
Old 02-11-11, 01:45 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Och
And thats basically the bottom line. In most real world conditions, with most any AWD system and proper tires, the only thing stopping a sedan will be snow that is too deep to clear the bottom of the car.

The worst thing about AWD are the drivers. A lot of people get AWD SUVs and sedans with low profile summer tires (FX45, X6, RR Sport, etc), or install huge chrome wheels on their Escalads and Tahoes, and then drive in snow like they are invincible. And when it comes time to brake, its epic fail time.
Yup, too many think AWD= perfectly safe to do anything.

Nissan Atessa etc are good systems. Clearly the GT-R makes the best out of it.

SH-AWD is a great torque vectoring system as well but its in underpowered ugly cars. What a waste of good tech. Today Porsche, BMW, Audi etc have the similar system.

Old 02-11-11, 01:50 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Nissan Atessa etc are good systems. Clearly the GT-R makes the best out of it.
The system in GT-R is actually similar to Acura's SH-AWD. In fact, Nissan was the first with this system with the old Skyline.

Lets not forget however that GT-R's AWD system has about as much in common with AWD system in G35's and Muranos as Honda's F1 car with a Civic

SH-AWD is a great torque vectoring system as well but its in underpowered ugly cars. What a waste of good tech. Today Porsche, BMW, Audi etc have the similar system.
I disagree that it is a waste of good tech. Not every car needs to be a torque monster. Torque vectoring AWD systems are the future for pretty much all vehicles - they allow for prowess in poor traction conditions, enhance handling in high performance applications, and double up as the most advanced stability control system. Of course some may argue that they take over too much control, and make the driver less relevant.
Old 02-11-11, 01:52 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DustinV
There you go, couple videos that show superiority of torque vectoring AWD over traditional mechanical awd systems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvqQuC_8VrM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJZxVefta68
Old 02-11-11, 01:58 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Och
The system in GT-R is actually similar to Acura's SH-AWD. In fact, Nissan was the first with this system with the old Skyline.

Lets not forget however that GT-R's AWD system has about as much in common with AWD system in G35's and Muranos as Honda's F1 car with a Civic

I disagree that it is a waste of good tech. Not every car needs to be a torque monster. Torque vectoring AWD systems are the future for pretty much all vehicles - they allow for prowess in poor traction conditions, enhance handling in high performance applications, and double up as the most advanced stability control system. Of course some may argue that they take over too much control, and make the driver less relevant.
What I'm saying is Acura blew a great opportunity to showcase it. The name is ricerish too. SH AWD. WTF?

Originally Posted by Och
There you go, couple videos that show superiority of torque vectoring AWD over traditional mechanical awd systems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvqQuC_8VrM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJZxVefta68
The 2nd one was an Acura ad.

Clarkson lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npdwQhWyBFo

Quick Reply: Which AWD sedan is #1 in snow? What about Infiniti?