Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Is ricer a slur and should it be banned here?
Yes, it is a slur, get rid of it
8.51%
No it is not and it is not offending
62.77%
We should make a new term for it
5.32%
Rice or Die!
1.06%
I am a ricer
2.13%
I'm here for the gangbang
20.21%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Is the term "Ricer" a racial slur/insult? Should we ban it or is it fine?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-11, 06:32 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bad co
I think its about time you get stripped of your moderating powers
Technically I sold my car last week so I'm off the hook. Before that through the carbon fiber, 20" rims, headrest monitors and such were all for show, thus I'm a ricer.
Old 02-13-11, 08:06 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

what i'm disappointed is the fact that 1sicklex didn't reference any goats to the poll!
Old 02-13-11, 08:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Though "Ricer" is a rather slang, uncouth term that I don't (and wouldn't) use myself, I don't consider it an insult, nor do I think it should be banned. It certainly is not, IMO, in the same category as terms that insult someone for their religion or the color of their skin. In fact, as I understand the term "Ricer", it doesn't refer to people at all, but to small, pocket-rocket cars of Japanese design, particularly slammed and customized ones like Civics, Accord coupes, older Eclipses, Celicas, and sometimes Evos and WRX/STIs. And a car, of course, is not a living person, but simply metal, rubber, glass, and plastic.

Having said that, I can clearly remember some car-related terms that we used when I was in high school, and, to some extent, later as well; things like.......

FORD...............Fix or Repair Daily.

FORD...............First on Race Day (that, of course, was cetainly not an insult)

FIAT................Fix it Again, Tony.

DODGE/PLYMOUTH (MoPar)...................More Parts.

MERCURY COMET...................Mercury Vomit

CORVETTE..................Plastic Shrink-Wrapped

BUICK ELECTRA 225......................Deuce-and-a-Quarter

PONTIAC GTO....................Goat

CHEVY SS MODELS (Camaro, Nova, Malibu, Impala, El Camino, etc...).........Super-S***

POLICE CAR...................Fuzz-Mobile.

SAAB 3-CYLINDER.......................Slob

There were a number of other nicknames we used (some of them justified, some not), but I don't remember them all. But none of me or my friends, at the time, ever thought of banning such terms.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-13-11 at 08:39 PM.
Old 02-13-11, 08:36 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Though "Ricer" is a rather slang, uncouth term that I don't (and wouldn't) use myself, I don't consider it an insult, nor do I think it should be banned. It certainly is not, IMO, in the same category as terms that insult someone for their religion or the color of their skin. In fact, as I understand the term "Ricer", it doesn't refer to people at all, but to small, pocket-rocket cars of Japanese design
Rice = The car
Ricer = The guy driving the car, so Ricer does refer to a real person.

Just like Drug is the substance, while Druggie refers to the person using the substance.
Old 02-13-11, 08:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Rice = The car
Ricer = The guy driving the car, so Ricer does refer to a real person.
You're partly correct...........I've seen it used both ways. But the majority of the time, I've seen it used to refer to the car more than the driver.

And, even if (or when) it DOES refer to the driver, I still don't place it in the same class as racial insults like using the "N" word. It has nothing to do with the race or skin color of the driver.....only the fact that he or she is driving a certain type of Japanese-designed car, although it could (?) also be included for some Korean cars as well. So my opinion is that there's no need to ban it.
Old 02-13-11, 08:57 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 123 Likes on 48 Posts

Im a ricer in this sense. isnt everyone? Lol people even call me it sometimes. IDGAF (excuse the abbrev.) You mod the car they way you want to, not how someone wants you too. You dont have to follow everyones cookie cutter car by following the same exact order etc... Ricer is just like saying ugly or not in my taste. People really shouldn't get worked up over that term. After all this is a CAR FORUM. Name me one car forum that has the word Ricer censored....sheesh. If you must def. from the people

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Ricer
Old 02-13-11, 10:19 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rice-rockets (m/c term) has similar connetations.
Old 02-14-11, 08:56 AM
LexFather

I started the thread to get members feedback here. You see I also never saw the term "ricer" as a racial slur, it just describes craptastic mods to cars and that includes slapping red badges on cars. It is possible I was wrong, thus the poll and to get others opinions for if I was wrong the term "ricer" would be something we would discuss banning.

To me its like "ghetto" to describe some cars/mods. That is not racial, it describes a certain way to do a car. Also like "yuppie" for younger people who are not car enthusiasts that lease new luxury cars.

IMO, red badges on cars are rice and there can be FACTORY rice. If you or anyone happens to own a car with that don't take it personal. I think its ricey, on the Corolla, on an Infiniti, on an Acura (except real Type-Rs). That seems to be YOUR issue. Some brands even paint their stock calipers red (for the record I did in the past so I'm not some holy saint) and to me that is factory rice.

Originally Posted by Stormforge
what i'm disappointed is the fact that 1sicklex didn't reference any goats to the poll!
I should ban myself

Old 02-14-11, 09:22 AM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Less moderation is sometimes more.
Old 02-14-11, 09:27 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I feel banned already, but I will be having rice with dinner tonight.
Old 02-14-11, 09:33 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I feel banned already, but I will be having rice with dinner tonight.
I had dirty rice from Pappadeax last night....

Old 02-14-11, 09:35 AM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

I have no problem with it

if they don't want to be called a ricer, then they shouldn't buy all their parts at once from the rice market

oh, and please stop driving with the stupid primered cracked bumpers
Old 02-14-11, 09:43 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
Rice = race inspired cosmetic enhancement.

Ricer = someone who drives a RICE car.

Just cause asians eat rice does not mean Ricer is a racist term. The abbreviation just happens to be that word - rice. I'm Asian and don't find it offensive at all.
I too am asian and i find no offense to the word rice/ricer, then again i am also under the opinion that America is way too PC and its making people soft~ Why can't i go to work anymore and say, 'hey honey get me a coffee wont you' *give a pat on the butt*... WAS UP WIT DAT?
Old 02-14-11, 09:47 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
I too am asian and i find no offense to the word rice/ricer, then again i am also under the opinion that America is way too PC and its making people soft~ Why can't i go to work anymore and say, 'hey honey get me a coffee wont you' *give a pat on the butt*... WAS UP WIT DAT?
I bet you meet with Human Resources often

Old 02-14-11, 12:50 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Maybe it's just a COO thing.

Since 90% of accessories necessary to "rice-out" a car are manufactured in Asia.

Quick Reply: Is the term "Ricer" a racial slur/insult? Should we ban it or is it fine?