Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Irvine Car and Coffee 2/5/11 -- the downhill...

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-11, 12:34 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Irvine Car and Coffee 2/5/11 -- the downhill...

Went to car and coffee in Irvine last weekend. It was my second time, mainly to bring a friend there. But seriously I doubt if there will be a third time... I first went there in 2009, it was pretty good although I expected more. But last weekend... either it was one of those weird weekends, or car and coffee is just going downhill... I didn't many cool exotics. No GT, no SLR, no 599... And I did see a few modified Accord and CRX (huh?!), a next to broken down Miata, a boosted G35, among a few other random cars I didn't even bother.

Overall, it was in and out for us in 30 mins... Seriously I would have preferred a bit more sleep...

Anyway, here are some pics that I think are somewhat worthy Enjoy

Old 02-13-11, 06:17 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Really enjoyed the pictures thank you!

As for the turn out I think that may be a matter of perspective. I think you guys in Cali are very lucky when it comes to rare or exotic cars. What I mean by that is I was able to see and enjoy more magnificent cars, like the ones you have pictured, in my 8 days in SoCal last August then I would see in RI in year! When I look at the quality and number of cars you have pictured here I doubt I'd see that many around here in 5 years LOL

Again thanks for going a second time and posting up 'the good stuff'
Old 02-13-11, 09:27 AM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Very nice. Which lot does this take place in?
Old 02-13-11, 10:34 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

thanks!

it's in the ford / mazda headquaters parking lot.

triple, i think you have a point. here in socal seeing exotics during the weekends is relatively "normal". but if you think about it, 2 yrs ago, you would probably see an enzo, porsche gt, a few slr, and some other top exotics, and now this including some weird accord and crx. that's something
Old 02-13-11, 11:39 AM
dsnowgs4
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet pics....

I love that 458 in white... I saw one the other day and could not believe how big the ceramic brakes look in person.
Old 02-13-11, 11:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by dsnowgs4
Sweet pics....

I love that 458 in white... I saw one the other day and could not believe how big the ceramic brakes look in person.
yup. i have to say that car was the most eye-catching one in the whole lot, and i am not a big fan of the 458 styling to begin with. the color is very pretty and clean, and it's profile is very aggressive
Old 02-14-11, 01:15 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Oooh, the Maranello and the Vanquish! Nice

Thanks for sharintg the pics!
Old 02-14-11, 03:33 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

yeah, I guess being in socal, we're a little spoiled seeing these exotics that it somewhat desensitizes us

however, it's the old exotics I like too see......that red testarossa
Old 02-14-11, 03:43 PM
LexFather

Henry we have cool guy that posts the meet here all the time. He always takes photos and on another forum we are both on he started to post and say how people in cars they think are special were filling up the lot but the fact is the car is not that special.

So he and a bud tried to get people to park their regular cars (as in Accords, IS's, G35s, etc) in the visitor lot and have the truly special cars in the show lot. Unfortunately too many people think they drive something important and in a show of this caliber it is not and then it pushes out the guys with truly special or rare cars out.

I'll see if I can get him to post his thoughts here.

Old 02-14-11, 04:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
yeah, I guess being in socal, we're a little spoiled seeing these exotics that it somewhat desensitizes us

however, it's the old exotics I like too see......that red testarossa
yup, and sometimes there are a lot of classics that are just so well maintained and clean, they are simply incredible!

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Henry we have cool guy that posts the meet here all the time. He always takes photos and on another forum we are both on he started to post and say how people in cars they think are special were filling up the lot but the fact is the car is not that special.

So he and a bud tried to get people to park their regular cars (as in Accords, IS's, G35s, etc) in the visitor lot and have the truly special cars in the show lot. Unfortunately too many people think they drive something important and in a show of this caliber it is not and then it pushes out the guys with truly special or rare cars out.

I'll see if I can get him to post his thoughts here.
yeah, that's the problem, a lot of people think their cars are special while they aren't. and that's also why and how a lot of true exotics or "real" car owners got driven away and don't come to the meet or show anymore. it's a shame.

when i first went to car and coffee in my m3, i didn't know exactly where so i actually went into the show lot (thank god it was only 5am and not many cars). i turned around and looked for spectator lot, but the person at the gate stopped and said why not park my car there, it's nice. i said no way, my car is nothing like the cars that's worthy to be shown there, and that i would feel more comfortable in the spectator lot. she smiled, knotted, and kindly pointed me to the spectator lot...
Old 02-14-11, 06:39 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember one time on a relatively "poor" weather day (in quotes because..how bad does it get in socal?) I drove my Miata there (first time at C&C) and inadvertently parked on a separate off-shoot portion of the same lot. I couldn't bring myself to park in the main lot out of courtesy for all the superior vehicles there.

I didn't know at the time there was a separate lot altogether for the "visitors" (arrived stupid early) and felt pretty embarrassed by the time I left since by then my little Miata was surrounded by a Morgan, a heavily modded Exige, an AMV8, etc. etc. etc.

The next time, I knew better and parked elsewhere--but on that day they had guys from the Ferrari Club that were having a "Ferrari Show" day directing inappropriate traffic away from the main lot.

I still plan to drop by again since it's "on the way home" for me from here in San Diego to LA.

Sucks to hear that the quality of participants has degraded.

The last time I was there Motor Trend brought the not-yet-released R8 to show off. Complete show-stopper at the time.
Old 02-14-11, 07:37 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Hopefully this long weekend will mean a good turnout. Though the weather forecast isn't looking very hopeful...
Old 02-14-11, 11:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by whoster
I remember one time on a relatively "poor" weather day (in quotes because..how bad does it get in socal?) I drove my Miata there (first time at C&C) and inadvertently parked on a separate off-shoot portion of the same lot. I couldn't bring myself to park in the main lot out of courtesy for all the superior vehicles there.

I didn't know at the time there was a separate lot altogether for the "visitors" (arrived stupid early) and felt pretty embarrassed by the time I left since by then my little Miata was surrounded by a Morgan, a heavily modded Exige, an AMV8, etc. etc. etc.

The next time, I knew better and parked elsewhere--but on that day they had guys from the Ferrari Club that were having a "Ferrari Show" day directing inappropriate traffic away from the main lot.

I still plan to drop by again since it's "on the way home" for me from here in San Diego to LA.

Sucks to hear that the quality of participants has degraded.

The last time I was there Motor Trend brought the not-yet-released R8 to show off. Complete show-stopper at the time.
just like when lexus brought the lfa there, it's a show stopper (though some think that's so cool and lexus is winning all over ferrari and lamborghini. i think that's so silly).

when i went the other weekend, tesla did bring their car and quite a few people looking at it. though i don't know, still not very excited about that car at all to be honest. it's like a lotus to me, cool car, but...

you are right about parking. i was just so glad i got out of that parking. i notice a few modded m3 park within the show lot, and i actually spent some time looking at them from a distance. fact is? no one really give a damn about them, people mostly just walk by

i have to say, i do regret a bit that i didn't go to the original crystal meet or the car and coffee early on, when it was a real exotic supercars gathering
Old 02-14-11, 11:32 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Sounds like someone's getting to be a little high maintenance.

Maybe you need to trade the M3 on a new Aston or Bentley so you can reinvigorate the show. j/k Henry

Cool pics.

You should remember that you're lucky to see such fantastic cars on a regular basis. For some of us, truly special cars are few and far between....especially at this time of year.
Old 02-15-11, 01:02 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Those are some fantastic rides, both new and old. The 458 looks great! The headlight assembly is insane with all those lights, though. Thanks for sharing!

Quick Reply: Irvine Car and Coffee 2/5/11 -- the downhill...