Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Here on Lawrence SUV Idol, it's come down to this here are your choices.
2007 Merecedes Benz GL450 Pound for pound the best perhaps? Just hate the MB-Tex seats
23.26%
2007 Audi Q7 I too am under the Audi spell. Don't care which engine, though I always prefer V8
23.26%
2007 BMW X5...See Audi regarding engine. Civic racers bring it!
6.98%
Lexus GX470 Arguably the world's sexiest dinosaur. Aging quite well. The Betty White of SUVs.
41.86%
2006 Range Rover HSE Quite possibly the most hated and respected. Lebron James if you will.
2.33%
2006 Range Rover Sport HSE or Supercharged. I don't care both look great and make my heart pump.
20.93%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

A 2 year car search and now it comes down to SUV Idol. What's your vote?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-11, 11:45 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
My recommendations are fair and unbiased. I don't recommend Subies (new or used) for people unless I honestly feel that it is the best vehicle for their specific needs (as the Outback was for me).
I know you do. It was just an easy jab as we all know your affinity for their products.

Maybe so, but, if you're not going off-road, keep in mind that the GX, like the 4Runner it is based on, is a classic off-roader with a truck-frame. It is also high, narrow in relation to its width, and has (to an extent) a somewhat tipsy center-of-gravity.
Yes the GX's heritage is certainly in the back of my mind. It's dimensions serve as a reminder of what to do and not do in any tall SUV especially that particular one. I have no intentions of throwing it around turns. That would be rather foolish.

I'd stay away from the Range Rover, despite its seductively plush, comfortable interior....they are notoriously unreliable.

Still, of the specific models you mentioned, I'd go with the GX, despite the off-road truck-based design; just be careful and don't try to throw it around corners like a sports car.

Point taken....and yeah I've pretty much decided to throw in the flag on the FF Range Rover for all of the above reasons. The Sport however does still intrigue me as it has generally been much less of a headache to it's owners. As I'm sure you are aware that it's based on the Disco/LR3 which don't have nearly the problems as the Big Boy. I love the aggressive exterior design blended with the classic RR theme. I thank you for your insight and candor. Upon doing a search I saw that you did a review on the Q5. I wish it were on the Q7, as I am fan of the vehicle. Though I know it's a different vehicle, I think I'm going to check back on your review to see what you thought of Audi's offering other SUV offering based of the A4.

You may feel that way NOW, but you may not when things actually start breaking down, particularly on a Range Rover....and, on some European vehicles, with the cost of parts/repair when it is out of warranty. You don't want to bite off more than you can chew....and you can do that with some vehicles.
You're absolutely right. I don't want to make the same mistake that I made in my younger years. My wife recalls me having to flatbed that truck on a few of our dates. It's a wonder she is till with me. RR reliability is nothing to dismiss and I think that's playing a significant role here in my poll. At my last tally the RR received a whopping 0 votes. You guys here at CL do not play.

My advice is, forget that stuff. As far as I'm concerned, the whole idea of a vehicle being "masculine" or feminine" oriented is nonsense (though, I agree, there's no doubt that the VW Beetle is popular with the ladies). The idea that men can or can't buy or drive certain vehicles because of a stigma is a stereotype that has been made up and promoted mainly by the auto press, bull-s*** from auto TV commercials, and has little or no bearing on real-life auto-bying decisions. Simply buy the vehicle that best suits your family's needs, and forget what other people think. And, my opinion is, of the specific models you listed, for your specific needs, go with the GX.
As for sexuality in automotive designs I do have mixed feelings on it. Sheet metal just like clothing or any other form of art, touches our sensuality and emotions. Certain lines shapes and colors do tug at us in different ways for a variety of reasons. whether it be culture or whatever. That said I'm fully aware that companies market certain products to certain segments of society for different reasons and in various manners. All in all if I like something and can afford or fit it, I'm buying it. I wear plenty of pink and drive a car that in some circles is deemed a chick car and could personally care less. That's what I was alluding to when I initially said that. Sorry if you misunderstood me or I didn't make myself clear. I, along with you have had my share of laughs at some threads that have been posted on CL regarding which car is gay or not gay. Again Thanx for taking the time to share your automotive wisdom with me. BTW I'm curious as to your take on the current BMW X5.
Old 02-14-11, 12:08 AM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by KA8
Stay away from Range Rover. They are attractive and luxurious but you better pray yours won't break down on you. GX is nice suv we almost got it when we were shopping for suv. Q7 is very attractive and it's got everything you want in an suv. Test drive them all and go from there.
Thanx...It's definitely looking that way. Well certainly for the Full Fat RR. My wife and I don't need the headache. My biggest fear is that it runs smooth all Summer and then begins to screw us come winter time. I don't want to make a decision that I'll later regret. I've driven all of them some more extensively than others. With the lone exception of the the current X5. However my wife and I plan to do that sometime this week. What made you decide on your ML as opposed to the GX470 or Audi Q7? How has your ownership experience been? I personally like the ML and enjoyed my time behind the wheel of it. It's just my wife who is caught up in the idea that we need the GL for its seven seats and slightly more upscale interior. As I said previously she test drove both back to back (huge mistake) And out of my list which would you pick. I see your a fan of the Audi and Lexus but which of the 2 do you prefer or suggest based on my criteria. Thanx again for your take.

As for the GX470 which seems to be the popular vote here, One of my chief concerns has been the idea of financing a car that's out of production for 2 years already. Though I know every car gets old and as it is I already have an out of production car that I plan to keep. I would like some "newness" or current feeling. Even if its just for a year or two.
Old 02-14-11, 04:58 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexLaw
As for the GX470 which seems to be the popular vote here, One of my chief concerns has been the idea of financing a car that's out of production for 2 years already. Though I know every car gets old and as it is I already have an out of production car that I plan to keep. I would like some "newness" or current feeling. Even if its just for a year or two.
One of regular posters (sorry, can't remember right now) works in Lexus service and has mentioned many times how the GX is far and away the most bullet-proof... don't worry about out of production, you'll get 200K miles EASY on her!!!
Old 02-14-11, 06:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I wish it were on the Q7, as I am fan of the vehicle.
I did a review, several years ago, on the Q7, but, back then, they were not as comprehensive as the ones I do today, nor did they include images.

BTW I'm curious as to your take on the current BMW X5.
Here's my latest X5 review.....on the diesel.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...5d-diesel.html

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-14-11 at 08:42 AM.
Old 02-14-11, 09:33 AM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AutoUnion
I have the 3.6 VR6 and it's a great little powertrain. Smooth, has good passing power, and it sounds great The engine itself has no issues at all besides carbon buildup because it's DI, but that isn't a big issue if you use good quality gasoline. Obviously, if you get the diesel, you don't have these problems.

I have the gorgeous roof also and it is amazing, especially at night Opens the cabin right up and it's beautiful. The TSB is not for leaking issues, but more for creaking issues. I did have the roof creak, but one quick dealer visit fixed it with lubricant. Hasn't happened since. I leave the Q outside and it has never ever leaked. I frequent 2 Audi-specific forums with large Q7 owner bases and there really haven't been any major problems. There seems to be even more problems with the X5.

Good luck OP. Personally I'd go for the TDI powertrain at this point, but yes, I agree with you completely on that the Q looks like nothing else on the road. The interior is so high quality, it makes its competition look like a joke. The red lights at night that bathe the interior make it look so upscale. The ambient lighting on the footwells are even better. I'm from Maine, and I barely barely see these. Q5s are dime a dozen, but I never see Q7s. I've had many people come up to me and ask me what it was. I would no doubt get a used CPO TDI facelifted model.

Any other specific questions, don't hesitate to PM me
Thank you sir, I've always been intrigued by this car since I saw it years ago at the NY Auto Show. Ever since then I've been keeping an eye on it through the years. Like I said, my wife and I test drove it last year and we both fell in love, particularly me. She's intrigued by the car inside and out but for some reason she refers the higher stance boxy hard crease SUV's, hence her love for the GL, RR and GX, which all by the way affect MPG and overall performance. I'm all in to curves that's why the Q7 and X5 have a place in my heart.

You're absolutely right about the X5 seeming to have far more issues from their owners in comparison to the Q7. It's not as bad with other BMW models but certainly not par with the Q7 reliability. Many BMW owners on one forum that I frequent, constantly scream out about dumping them as the warranty expires and that alarms me. As for the Audi, I'm a AudiWorld member and see far less complaints and owners actually wanting to keep their trucks as opposed to jumping out of them. oh and trust me I will be PM'ing you on ur trucks. Any pics? and what color combo? Thanx again.

Last edited by LexLaw; 02-14-11 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Duplicate
Old 02-14-11, 09:35 AM
LexFather

Damn that is a tough list.

Old 02-14-11, 03:54 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

if this is important:

We don't require a 3rd row but it would be nice as my wife seems to think she'll be driving our daughter's soccer team around.
you can easily cross off the RRs and X5 (really, a 3rd row on that?)

I had a GX 470 and loved it. If you're lucky to find one with kdss, by all means, you should try to get one with it.

If you guys don't like the GX, I would probably go with the Q7 also-something different.

How is the Q7 storage space with the 3rd row seat down?
Old 02-14-11, 04:41 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AutoUnion
They're pretty rare up in Maine, so I had to compromise to a rather boring color combo. Silver on black. My Q7 replacement will definitely be something much more interesting.

Even after these years, the paint job is still top notch, and the interior has no wear at all. I agree with you on all counts about the curves. The Q7 has some serious road presence, more so now since Audi has added the LEDs. Even when I'm driving my daily driver Jetta Wagon TDI, I still do a double take when I see Qs.

Here's my AW profile with some rather (dirty) pics: http://forums.audiworld.com/member.php?u=133175

Cool post: http://search.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=2691843

Good luck OP
Well we just came from a test drive on a 3.6. Silver on Not my fave color combo. But we did see one with black like yours and that interior is Boss!. Nonetheless the drive was very smooth and certainly enough power. Both my wife and I were able to open it up as we had a really cool salesman at Jim Ellis Audi of Marietta. The spec we drove didnt have the nav but of course had the roofs and everything else. If I recall it was a 2009. A little over our budget but We just wanted to soak in the Q7 once again. She seemed to like it and was impressed by the rear seating (both rows). Very clean and simple design. Good materials, no surprise there. I would have liked to have driven a V8 but none were actually available at the time. He only had a handful on that lot. Anyway the V6 was crazy smooth and had a nice little rumble to it when you mash the pedal.

I can definitely see myself in it. Now the question remains if my wife was in love again with it. She definitely didn't seem disappointed. We'll probably discuss it over dinner again tonight. we drove during dusk saw we got a little sunset action along with decreased lighting which allowed for the AUDI red LEDs to seduce me again. In any event her and I both agree that we remove both Land Rover products from our list. Reliability, No need for serious off-roading, cost of ownership and the poll here on CL all attributed to this decision. She has also since decided to remove the MB GL off and was never a huge fan of BMW or their X5 specifically, so they are probably 3rd behind the Lexus GX and Audi Q7. The interior space is notably smaller than the GX, specifically the cargo area/3rd row. Obviously that's attributed to the style and design of the 2 trucks. But by no means is the interior cramped. We even fit in the 3rd row. which we won't even use 90% of the time. It's just nice knowing that it's there. As for the second row, I love the sliding and reclining feature of the seats. Very well padded and tons of headroom and that Pano roof gives you almost a convertible feel (perhaps I'm stretching it, lol). MMI is really cool and I welcome the customization that permits. Ergonomics seem fine, very Lexus like in that sense with equally good materials. And yes I did enjoy the head turns that I got behind the wheel.

Thanx for the links I will definitely check them out this evening, it is valentine's after all so I have to be cool tonight. I'm LexLaw over there and I sent u a friend request. So finally it's down to 3. I must admit I'm enjoying this search and help that I'm getting from all of you guys at CL.
Old 02-14-11, 04:55 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
if this is important:

you can easily cross off the RRs and X5 (really, a 3rd row on that?)

I had a GX 470 and loved it. If you're lucky to find one with kdss, by all means, you should try to get one with it.

If you guys don't like the GX, I would probably go with the Q7 also-something different.

How is the Q7 storage space with the 3rd row seat down?
Great points regarding the RR and BMW. Both Range Rovers have been removed from our search, as we don't need the inevitable headaches that they will bring. I'm somewhat scarred from my previous experience with LR and my family members who own their products. Some of them are in a really nice tax bracket so they can "afford" that gamble. I on the other hand am simply not there yet. What sold you on your GX aside from the Lexus name and reliability?

The KDSS has been rare as the truck is rare enough as it is especially with ML/Nav. Great product though and very capable for what I need and want. Which trucks are you a fan of or were seriously considering in your SUV search? As for the Q7 with the seats up space is not as abundant as is the case with most SUVs. But with the 3rd row tucked away. Very adequate room for things and such. I also liked that beneath the floor of the cargo area this is another small storage area. It's directly above the inflatable spare tire.
Old 02-14-11, 05:06 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

What sold you on your GX aside from the Lexus name and reliability?

The KDSS has been rare as the truck is rare enough as it is especially with ML/Nav. Great product though and very capable for what I need and want. Which trucks are you a fan of or were seriously considering in your SUV search? As for the Q7 with the seats up space is not as abundant as is the case with most SUVs. But with the 3rd row tucked away. Very adequate room for things and such. I also liked that beneath the floor of the cargo area this is another small storage area. It's directly above the inflatable spare tire.
We had an 05.
I loved the V8, the seating, handling was tighter when the clunk was repaired, everything was ergonomically perfect for me, it was extremely easy to drive. My wife who is petite, drove it for the first time and it was easy for her also-that was the final deciding factor.
Off course, in the end, reliability is the most important factor for me so I tend to stay with lexus.

No more suv for us-we need a coupe.
I have the sienna se, as you can see in the sig, 3 row seatings with huge storage spaces.

Seems like the Q7 will be a good choice
Old 02-14-11, 05:17 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Damn that is a tough list.
Who are you telling?! Come on Mike, I know you got it in you. What's your take of the picks? BTW the RR has been dropped from the contest. As much as this has hurt me, I had to disqualify it due to unreliability and notoriety on this forum and many others and oh yeah the wife.
Old 02-14-11, 05:31 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
We had an 05.
I loved the V8, the seating, handling was tighter when the clunk was repaired, everything was ergonomically perfect for me, it was extremely easy to drive. My wife who is petite, drove it for the first time and it was easy for her also-that was the final deciding factor.
Off course, in the end, reliability is the most important factor for me so I tend to stay with lexus.

No more suv for us-we need a coupe.
I have the sienna se, as you can see in the sig, 3 row seatings with huge storage spaces.

Seems like the Q7 will be a good choice
Niiice. First off, I love the Swagger Wagon. Easily my favorite minivan. My wife is petite and I myself am 5'6" and don't worry about hitting my head on any doorways when entering any rooms. I respect your honesty and insight as a former GX owner who endorses the Audi Q7, as it's currently my favorite of the group. If the GX were still in production and/or this were a cash purchase this wouldn't be even up for debate. I love Lexus and all that they offer for your dollar. I realize that no auto maker offers you everything, as much as they may try. I've always viewed Audi as the "German" Lexus as opposed to MB, the company that is most often associated with Lexus. I love their attention to detail, smooth ride and elegant interiors. I just feel they give you a little more fun and sportiness in the manner of BMW. To me they are the perfect blend of what Japanese and German automakers bring to the table. Thanx again for your take on my list and honest input.
Old 02-14-11, 06:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

MMI is really cool and I welcome the customization that permits.
If you (or your wife) can use the MMI, or BMW's I-Drive and similiar systems, without any problems and confusion, then more power to you. I find nearly all of those systems confusing, frustrating, distracting when you are trying to keep your eyes on the road, and simply a PITA.
Old 02-15-11, 06:27 AM
jmax.garage
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just went through this but in a more humble scale since my budget is not that great right now, but I can attest to the following 2 vehicles:

1. Old Faithful GX470
2. Land Rover Sport HSE or the plain flavor (to me they are the same vehicle but with upgrades)

The GX470 will have a new face lift pretty soon, so that might be a deterrent for getting one, but the only reason I like this SUV more than the others in the list is because I can trust in the auto manufacturer. I know if I delay a scheduled service for 2 months I don't have to worry about crap breaking or dealership breaking my wallet because some BS sensor needs to be reset to say "Service Completed". X5 and Merc cars have MANY of these BS sensors. Beware.

Now, if you like to deal with BS sensors, why don't you just do it a bit different? HSE all the way baby. Many family members own HSE/HSE Sport varying from 07~10. Yes, even if they have BS sensors, they are fun, spacious, and they look like the sexiest box you would ever drive. One uncle switched to an HSE Sport from a GL merc: he loves it. Another one switched from an X5 to an HSE. Auntie loves it. So do I when I visit cali.

Now, i'm not numbering this SUV since you didn't listed it, but have you also considered a Cayenne? Seriously, they are nice and they are fast. You could find one for the price of an HSE as well... but again, it would feel like driving a big Kermit The Frog head on the street so just don't pick a green one. White, black or charcoal would be dope.

Anyways, have FUN picking your vehicle, please don't pick a mer or X5, you will be in the shop more often than enjoying your car... or at least that what it seemed like to my family.
Old 02-15-11, 06:40 AM
LexFather

Who are you telling?! Come on Mike, I know you got it in you. What's your take of the picks? BTW the RR has been dropped from the contest. As much as this has hurt me, I had to disqualify it due to unreliability and notoriety on this forum and many others and oh yeah the wife.
Funny but had a similar conversation about 7 seat SUVs over dinner with some friends including wives. Sadly the GX just is missing the style factor here compared to the Germans but the quality/reliability are selling points.. A couple loves their RR but hates the 16 MPG they get (even though they don't drive it much). We like the Q7 but some don't like the styling (too wagonish). BMW was seen as nice but everyone heard of reliability issues. Most felt GL was too expensive.

For me I really am attracted to the Q7 diesel or Q7 with the sport line package with the warranty. I love how the BMW looks and drives and would also get the warranty. My Lexus experience wants to say GX but it never really appealed to me (oddly the older one has grown on me tons since the new one debuted).

Quick Reply: A 2 year car search and now it comes down to SUV Idol. What's your vote?