Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Here on Lawrence SUV Idol, it's come down to this here are your choices.
2007 Merecedes Benz GL450 Pound for pound the best perhaps? Just hate the MB-Tex seats
23.26%
2007 Audi Q7 I too am under the Audi spell. Don't care which engine, though I always prefer V8
23.26%
2007 BMW X5...See Audi regarding engine. Civic racers bring it!
6.98%
Lexus GX470 Arguably the world's sexiest dinosaur. Aging quite well. The Betty White of SUVs.
41.86%
2006 Range Rover HSE Quite possibly the most hated and respected. Lebron James if you will.
2.33%
2006 Range Rover Sport HSE or Supercharged. I don't care both look great and make my heart pump.
20.93%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

A 2 year car search and now it comes down to SUV Idol. What's your vote?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-11, 10:02 AM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AutoUnion
It definitely has a learning curve. I think it took me about a week to get used to it? Now, I can scroll through things without even looking at the screen. The buttons are actually pretty logically laid out
Yeah I definitely can see myself becoming adept with the MMI. It has a nice clean, intuitive layout. Does it lock you out of things while driving? I couldn't really do to much as it was a test drive and that model wasn't equipped with the nav.

Wish I could say I fit in the 3rd row

This was one of my major swaying factors for the Audi actually. The 2nd row was much better than the X5, RX, etc. With the 4-zone climate control and rear heated seats, it's great sitting in the back. If you open up the sunshade, the ambience at night is just amazing. I was cross-shopping the BMW X5, RX, and the Q. The X5 was out because it got pricy fast and build quality was subpar. I literally almost pulled the trigger on the RX back in 07, but our old salesmen wasn't in that day. Drove to the Audi dealer down the street and the rest is history.

You might want to try out quattroworld.com. AW has seen a sharp decline in users since they switched software a couple years ago. Us old AW veterans have since switched to QW to talk about our Qs. I'm AutoUnion there. Lots of good information on both though.

Happy shopping
I agree that skyview is amazing and I can only imagine late night drives for my passengers especially. I never understood why the RX never offered a 3rd row option even as jump seats especially as they grew thru the years. It's not like they are performance oriented. I know they sell just fine without it, but I can't possibly see it hurting sales. The Highlander does it quite well, though it does appear to be on a stretched wheelbase. A panoramic roof wouldn't hurt either. Lexus needs to start offering them on more of their line-up. I'd love to see it in their next GS and LS as opposed to just their ES. Thanx for the QW site, weak layout but great info though and activity. I do prefer AudiWorld's layout but you're right about lack of activity.
Old 02-15-11, 10:26 AM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kidzik007
I just went through this but in a more humble scale since my budget is not that great right now, but I can attest to the following 2 vehicles:

1. Old Faithful GX470
2. Land Rover Sport HSE or the plain flavor (to me they are the same vehicle but with upgrades)

The GX470 will have a new face lift pretty soon, so that might be a deterrent for getting one, but the only reason I like this SUV more than the others in the list is because I can trust in the auto manufacturer. I know if I delay a scheduled service for 2 months I don't have to worry about crap breaking or dealership breaking my wallet because some BS sensor needs to be reset to say "Service Completed". X5 and Merc cars have MANY of these BS sensors. Beware.

Now, if you like to deal with BS sensors, why don't you just do it a bit different? HSE all the way baby. Many family members own HSE/HSE Sport varying from 07~10. Yes, even if they have BS sensors, they are fun, spacious, and they look like the sexiest box you would ever drive. One uncle switched to an HSE Sport from a GL merc: he loves it. Another one switched from an X5 to an HSE. Auntie loves it. So do I when I visit cali.

Now, i'm not numbering this SUV since you didn't listed it, but have you also considered a Cayenne? Seriously, they are nice and they are fast. You could find one for the price of an HSE as well... but again, it would feel like driving a big Kermit The Frog head on the street so just don't pick a green one. White, black or charcoal would be dope.

Anyways, have FUN picking your vehicle, please don't pick a mer or X5, you will be in the shop more often than enjoying your car... or at least that what it seemed like to my family.
Please don't mention the words Range Rover....It took a lot to take them off of my top 5 list. It wasn't easy but If you read my previous posts you'll see why I was forced into making this difficult decision.

LMFAO@ Kermit the Frog. Indeed they are ugly like IMO many Porsche products. But they are so ugly they are beautiful, especially the Panamera. My feelings for that car are well documented. I love how the new Cayenne closely resembles the Panamera from many angles. It looks like the SUV version of that sexy machine. I did take a long look at the previous gen Cayenne base and S but never in green for that very same reason. Though I don't particularly want to finance a truck that's out of production as for reasons that I've mentioned, it has slowly evolved through the 10 years of existence and again it is a Porsche so it's a little different. And unlike what Lexus did with the GX470 and GX460, there is a bit more continuity.

My issues with the P truck is that their interiors never did it for me. They began to slowly improve through the years especially this current model, which by the way is out of my budget. I also hate their electronics, sadly their tech is lagging behind every other manufacturer which always surprised me. Aside from that an awesome truck. RR offroad ability with X5 like road manners and sportiness and they command immediate respect. Also, I like that they're seemingly more rare than the other luxury SUV's. Another problem is that they had a 1 year gap between the face lift that I like. So there was no '07 model, but instead the facelifted '08 which is at the higher end of my budget if I get the base. For me I don't see the value in that. If they were the S model or a fully loaded base then they would be more enticing oh and one more little thing....My wife. She really wants the 3rd row option even if they are jump seats. Now while she knows the VW cousin has that. She doesn't like their styling. Thanx for all of your input, I do appreciate you taking the time to assist me with your reply.
Old 02-15-11, 10:51 AM
LexFather

It is a tough decision, I really can't pick just one and Lexus only has the GX/LX in this class. The Highlander seats 7 but its not a luxury vehicle. A LWB RX with 7 seats would be great for a lot of people.

If the wife loves the GL and 2nd fav is the GX. I would honestly go for one one of those 2.

Old 02-15-11, 01:11 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Funny but had a similar conversation about 7 seat SUVs over dinner with some friends including wives. Sadly the GX just is missing the style factor here compared to the Germans but the quality/reliability are selling points.. A couple loves their RR but hates the 16 MPG they get (even though they don't drive it much). We like the Q7 but some don't like the styling (too wagonish). BMW was seen as nice but everyone heard of reliability issues. Most felt GL was too expensive.

For me I really am attracted to the Q7 diesel or Q7 with the sport line package with the warranty. I love how the BMW looks and drives and would also get the warranty. My Lexus experience wants to say GX but it never really appealed to me (oddly the older one has grown on me tons since the new one debuted).
That's exactly How I feel about the GX470. Far from ugly, actually a handsome truck just a little quirky from the back. And I'm not just referring to the JDM barn door. But I think more could have been done with the front end and grille. It looks a little shy. And Lexus clearly went safe with it's overall design which is generally typical of Lexus. Beyond that its a well designed truck particularly on the inside and they cut no corners. I even like the idea that they included running boards, with lights at that. Just wish that they didn't "date" it so much by what I feel was a drastic redesign. Which by the way isn't really all that good. I like the interior on the GX460 but honestly not much else. I don't love it enough that If I had the money to buy one today, It wouldn't be on my list. Of the 2010-2011 models, it would be Q7,RR, RRS and Cayenne. But back to my reality, I really don't want to finance an out of production car that I'm on the fence about looks wise. Reliability is very high on my list but so is visual appearance and fun.

What has your friends experience been with their RR aside from the usual MPG issues? Any EAS suspension problems or major gremlins? Beacuse though they have a way to go with their reliability they are no longer the nightmare that they once were. I think LR's problem is that their reputation often precedes itself.

It is a tough decision, I really can't pick just one and Lexus only has the GX/LX in this class. The Highlander seats 7 but its not a luxury vehicle. A LWB RX with 7 seats would be great for a lot of people.

If the wife loves the GL and 2nd fav is the GX. I would honestly go for one one of those 2.
I'm telling you man, if the RX had a 7th row LWB and a pano roof I'd write that check and sign whatever needed to be signed. Despite them being at every stop light (and for good reason). I love the design of the RX since it's inception and until today. The Highlander is a really good job by Toyota and I actually like the updated grille and overall desgn. The LX especially the current generation is too rich for my blood at the moment but is certainly a great SUV. The GX as good as it is, I feel is a truck still searching for it's identity in a very crowded and aggressive market. Thank you Mike for chiming in. I've been awaiting your automotive drivel, as you and I seem to have very similar tastes in cars. Perhaps I'll be having a discussion like this next year about our beloved Jaguar XF.

Thanx you're a lot of help. SMH. Actually she now says the GX is her favorite (again) and she understands my issues with the GL. And after test driving the Q7 she can now see herself in it. Perhaps it was because she was being on her best behavior for Valentine's Day.

Last edited by LexLaw; 02-15-11 at 01:16 PM.
Old 02-15-11, 01:43 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This was one of my major swaying factors for the Audi actually. The 2nd row was much better than the X5, RX, etc. With the 4-zone climate control and rear heated seats, it's great sitting in the back. If you open up the sunshade, the ambience at night is just amazing. I was cross-shopping the BMW X5, RX, and the Q. The X5 was out because it got pricy fast and build quality was subpar. I literally almost pulled the trigger on the RX back in 07, but our old salesmen wasn't in that day. Drove to the Audi dealer down the street and the rest is history.
I'm curious as to how they compare price wise down there. I looked at the Q7 TDI but in no way could I see how it was a $95K vehicle (up here, CDN $). That's a $15K premium over the X5. Yes, more room and nicer interior, but the new Idrive is far better than MMI and the driving dynamics of the X5 are far superior. Good vehicle, but like all Audi's up here, significantly over-priced.

On another note, I have a friend who has had multiple Audis including a Q7 and RS4 currently. While he likes them and keeps buying them, he tells me the dealership experience is the worst of any brand he has dealt with and that the reliability is sub-par.

Q7 and GL have the best third row. X5's is a total joke and meant for children only.

You did mention the Mercedes Artico "Leather". We actually chose it on our ML over true leather as it is primarily our dog vehicle and it stands up to wear much, much better than natural leather. You can barely tell the difference and it breaks in nicely.

The RR reliablity is horrible and shouldn't be included unless you have very deep pockets and patience.

I don't think there's a bad pick between the Q7/X5/GL. Drive them and see what you prefer, but ultimately buy what your wife wants.
Old 02-15-11, 03:02 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
You did mention the Mercedes Artico "Leather". We actually chose it on our ML over true leather as it is primarily our dog vehicle and it stands up to wear much, much better than natural leather. You can barely tell the difference and it breaks in nicely.

The RR reliablity is horrible and shouldn't be included unless you have very deep pockets and patience.

I don't think there's a bad pick between the Q7/X5/GL. Drive them and see what you prefer, but ultimately buy what your wife wants.
You're right about it being of good quality for being a synthetic. And while I'm sure it's durable and will hold up longer than our Lexus leathers, I don't own a big dog or have busy little children to pose a real threat to my interior. It's not that it doesn't look or feel decent because I would be lying if I said it didn't. I just feel that MB owes us more for what we are paying for with their prestige and price point. If it weren't cost cutting measures then give leather standard as a real Luxury company should and give the option of MB Tex for those that prefer or require it. Don't cut corners there. And why only 8 speakers in that monsterous truck? To me it takes away from an otherwise marvelous truck. Even Acura a tier 2 brand gives you more in their MDX (let's not discuss that wood though).

Anyway, yeah regrettably the RR has been removed due to the uncertainty of its reliability. I'm really amazed at how much you guys hate the Full Fat RR. Last I checked it still only had one vote and I think that was from a Tata exec. Yeah the 3 German brands seem to be the most intriguing at this point at least from a design standpoint. Thankfully my wife likes all 3 of them. I see you had a ML and now have a new X5 on order. What's your lone pick out of the bunch that I gave you if you were buying today with my criteria given? Thanx again for your time and sharing your insight.
Old 02-15-11, 03:36 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexLaw
Anyway, yeah regrettably the RR has been removed due to the uncertainty of its reliability. I'm really amazed at how much you guys hate the Full Fat RR. Last I checked it still only had one vote and I think that was from a Tata exec. Yeah the 3 German brands seem to be the most intriguing at this point at least from a design standpoint. Thankfully my wife likes all 3 of them. I see you had a ML and now have a new X5 on order. What's your lone pick out of the bunch that I gave you if you were buying today with my criteria given? Thanx again for your time and sharing your insight.
I don't hate the RR, I actually love it, but can't understand why they can build such a beautiful and capable SUV.....but can't figure out quality control. My business partner owned both the RR and Sport last year and both spent a ridiculous amount of time in the shop for really silly issues.

I actually currently have the '09 ML and '10 X5. First let me say that I don't think that any of these vehicles are perfect and have their individual flaws. For example, I personally think the ML is a much better looking vehicle than the X5. To choose from the 3 right now, I would pick the X5. It's reliablity has been mediocre at best. The annoying little things that keep acting up are a pita but there has been nothing mechanical go wrong with it. (You'll hear that a lot with the German brands...."oh, don't worry, it doesn't affect driveability" ). Everything including regular maintenance has been covered. I haven't spent a dime on this vehicle but my time is valuable and I've lost a great deal of it dealing with small issues.

The Q7 is too much money for what you're getting, MMI is poor imo, and reliability/dealership service is also poor.

The MB ML or GL will be equally unreliable. It is a very nice ride but not nearly as engaging as the X5. Keep in mind that it depends on your wife's driving style and desires. My wife prefers the ride in the ML but prefers the comfort seats and new iDrive in the X5. Maintenance on the ML is extremely expensive and dealership service is mediocre.

Anyways, hope this helps and good luck with your decision.
Old 02-15-11, 04:29 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

I don't hate the RR, I actually love it, but can't understand why they can build such a beautiful and capable SUV.....but can't figure out quality control. My business partner owned both the RR and Sport last year and both spent a ridiculous amount of time in the shop for really silly issues.
Agreed. If they had Lexus reliability or even that of MB or BMW. No one would buy the LX or GL or half of the lux SUVs on the market....But they don't. No, I'm sure you and quite a bit others here like the RR. Just many like yourself are scared of the reliability and with damn good reason. I'm just a little amazed that the RR got 1 pick after 3 days of voting. That speaks volumes.

The Q7 is too much money for what you're getting, MMI is poor imo, and reliability/dealership service is also poor.
Please elaborate for me when you say too much for too little. I think their price point with and without options is right on par with the other Germans if not better. They certainly give you good, quality leather and wood. Their rides while no where as firm or sporty as BMW are on par with MB and Lexus, if not better. As for dealership service I've heard and read many complaints and praises. I myself have always received a warm reception in their stores....Well one lone exception from a clown in their pre-owned dept., who tried to push an A4 on me when I clearly was inquiring about the A6 and A8. Not to mention he knew very little about Audi and their product plus his cheap suit didn't help either. His arrogance and condescending tone didn't amuse me that day.

The MB ML or GL will be equally unreliable. It is a very nice ride but not nearly as engaging as the X5. Keep in mind that it depends on your wife's driving style and desires. My wife prefers the ride in the ML but prefers the comfort seats and new iDrive in the X5. Maintenance on the ML is extremely expensive and dealership service is mediocre.

Anyways, hope this helps and good luck with your decision.
My wife drives pretty much like me. A slightly less heavy foot though, lol. She doesn't need a racy sporty truck and could care less for BMW's stiff feel and road feel in fact she likes cushy rides and that's partly why she raves at the MB GL. She said it reminds her of an S-Class on heels. The ML has always been on our mind but if I'm going to have any reliability issues, I'd much rather have what I want. As in a RR or even it's more reliable RR Sport. I do have a really inexpensive mechanic at my disposal. And a second ultra reliable car for those times a problem may arise with one of these Euro trucks (RR). In all honesty though I much rather have an X5 than the ML or GL. It's design and functionality does appeal to me. I have zero off road desires so none of that matters to me. Nice to know it's there but I'm not making this purchase based upon that.
Old 02-15-11, 06:35 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexLaw
Please elaborate for me when you say too much for too little. I think their price point with and without options is right on par with the other Germans if not better. They certainly give you good, quality leather and wood. Their rides while no where as firm or sporty as BMW are on par with MB and Lexus, if not better. As for dealership service I've heard and read many complaints and praises. I myself have always received a warm reception in their stores....Well one lone exception from a clown in their pre-owned dept., who tried to push an A4 on me when I clearly was inquiring about the A6 and A8. Not to mention he knew very little about Audi and their product plus his cheap suit didn't help either. His arrogance and condescending tone didn't amuse me that day.
Like I asked earlier to another poster, I'm curious what the price difference is down there. When I looked at the TDI up here it was $95K. Sorry, but a $15K premium over an X5 is ridiculous imo. At that price, I'd sacrifice the additional expense and get an X5M.....somewhat pointless....but at least there is a distinctive difference.

I agree with you that the materials and finish are very good, possibly even slightly better than the BMW, but again nowhere near $15K better. Key word is slightly. The leather quality is slightly better. The wood trim is on par. However, MMI is awful compared to the new iDrive (still waaaaay better than MB). The additional room and truly functional 3rd row, imho, are the only significant advantages of the Q7.

My experience, again up here, has been terrible with the Audi dealerships. They simply don't provide anywhere near the quality experience that Lexus or BMW offer. On one trip, I actually took the F...parked it directly in front of the display area...watched several staff see me enter...and didn't even get acknowledged by any front of the house staff member. I did get a nice smile and hello from a tech that happened to be wandering through the showroom....but

My wife drives pretty much like me. A slightly less heavy foot though, lol. She doesn't need a racy sporty truck and could care less for BMW's stiff feel and road feel in fact she likes cushy rides and that's partly why she raves at the MB GL. She said it reminds her of an S-Class on heels. The ML has always been on our mind but if I'm going to have any reliability issues, I'd much rather have what I want. As in a RR or even it's more reliable RR Sport. I do have a really inexpensive mechanic at my disposal. And a second ultra reliable car for those times a problem may arise with one of these Euro trucks (RR). In all honesty though I much rather have an X5 than the ML or GL. It's design and functionality does appeal to me. I have zero off road desires so none of that matters to me. Nice to know it's there but I'm not making this purchase based upon that.
Honestly, we had initially tried to purchase a GL instead of the X5, but were told it would be a 5 month wait for delivery. Our X5 was here in 6 weeks. If your wife prefers an S-class ride....trust me, she'll prefer the ML/GL to the X5. In spite of my "issues" with the ML the S-class is on the radar for it's replacement because my wife loved it so much when we had it for a weekend a few months ago.

I missed what you're currently driving yourself. If you're happy in it....buy your wife whatever she wants to keep you happy.

Happy wife = happy life!
Old 02-15-11, 06:58 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Like I asked earlier to another poster, I'm curious what the price difference is down there. When I looked at the TDI up here it was $95K. Sorry, but a $15K premium over an X5 is ridiculous imo. At that price, I'd sacrifice the additional expense and get an X5M.....somewhat pointless....but at least there is a distinctive difference.

I agree with you that the materials and finish are very good, possibly even slightly better than the BMW, but again nowhere near $15K better. Key word is slightly. The leather quality is slightly better. The wood trim is on par. However, MMI is awful compared to the new iDrive (still waaaaay better than MB). The additional room and truly functional 3rd row, imho, are the only significant advantages of the Q7.

My experience, again up here, has been terrible with the Audi dealerships. They simply don't provide anywhere near the quality experience that Lexus or BMW offer. On one trip, I actually took the F...parked it directly in front of the display area...watched several staff see me enter...and didn't even get acknowledged by any front of the house staff member. I did get a nice smile and hello from a tech that happened to be wandering through the showroom....but

Honestly, we had initially tried to purchase a GL instead of the X5, but were told it would be a 5 month wait for delivery. Our X5 was here in 6 weeks. If your wife prefers an S-class ride....trust me, she'll prefer the ML/GL to the X5. In spite of my "issues" with the ML the S-class is on the radar for it's replacement because my wife loved it so much when we had it for a weekend a few months ago.

I missed what you're currently driving yourself. If you're happy in it....buy your wife whatever she wants to keep you happy.

Happy wife = happy life!
I forget you're my neighbor from above so perhaps our market is different in addition the obvious dollar conversion. Audi may approach Canada based off of how they're perceived in Europe. Her in the states they are still viewed as third amongst the German makes and 4th once you throw Lexus in the mix. In any event I feel where you're coming from. Nothing sucks more than not being given the respect you deserve, especially with the F parked outside. Interestingly enough I always find that dealerships often show you more respect when you pull up in their competitor as they naturally would want to convert you. But then again that would be the logical approach and we all know how rare that can be.

We currently drive our lone SC430. We were living in NYC and didn't require a 2nd car, let alone got to use this one on a regular basis. However with our recent move to GA we seek that all important second car and she clearly wants an SUV again. Thankfully my wife is very conforming (well when she wants to be) but as you and many other s here have said this should be and is her pick. She has been following this thread closely in between my car rhetoric and our test drives. I'm all about pleasing her and wanting her to be happy. Her words from the start have been let me pick this and and you can have your XF next year for your birthday (she's a great woman), so I'm very fortunate. As of tonight she says the Lexus GX470 and MB GL are her faves with the Audi Q7 placing third, primarily because of me. The X5 and BMW's overall don't really appeal to her but was willing to do it for my sake.

Last edited by LexLaw; 02-15-11 at 09:43 PM.
Old 02-15-11, 07:06 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Smart man typing all the compliments since she's reading this thread....lol.

j/k....sorta
Old 02-15-11, 07:17 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Smart man typing all the compliments since she's reading this thread....lol.

j/k....sorta
Mother didn't raise a fool.