Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What are your favorite car logos?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-11, 06:37 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would have to say MB in terms of prestige, recognition, but I'm also intrigued behind the history of the different badges. Such as pointed out the MB star. the bimmer propeller against the sky, the rings of Audi, the three intertwined rings of Toyota. The constellation in Subaru. The calipers in Acura. All very intriguing.
Old 09-26-11, 10:02 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Toyota, Lexus, and Caddy have always given a positive feel to me. Toyota means reliability and practicality, Lexus means panache and luxury, and Caddy means glitz and glamour.
Old 09-27-11, 12:36 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A little bit of trivia:

That 'prancing horse' logo (the one that Ferrari uses) actually comes from the coat of arms symbol of the city of Stuttgart.

Go figure

Old 09-27-11, 07:46 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I believe that the best logos/symbols are simple (relying on just a shape and not different shades of colour) and not too closely resembles another company's logo. These are easy to recognize and remember. The history or the symbolism behind it matters little in the end; what matters is recognition, and simplicity is always more easily recognized.

Of course, to become recognized, they have to be well used and well placed in advertisements: marketing matters. So, in no particular order, here are some simple, easily recognized ones:

- Mercedes-Benz
- Volkswagen
- Audi
- Toyota
- Lexus
- Honda
- Acura
- Ford
- Chevrolet
- BMW - although I find it a bit too complicated because of the different shades of blue

Ones that I find confusing:

- Anything with a shield/crest because there seem to be too many out there.
- Anything with wings, again because there seem to be too many out there.
- Hyundai's slanted "H" is a bit too close to Honda's simple, symmetrical "H".
- Does that horse symbolize Ferrari or Porsche (or the University of Guelph, in Guelph, Ontario, Canada)?
Old 05-10-17, 06:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default What is Your Favorite Vehicle Logo?

We had a thread like this in Car Chat several years ago. But, since then, some vehicle-manufacturers have gone out of business, other new ones have started up, and several existing logo-images from various auto-manufacturers have changed their color or design. So, I guess it wouldn't hurt to start a new thread and see how popular today's logos are, and which ones you, as car-enthusiasts, prefer or like the most.

If you have any favorites (or those you don't like)....chime in.

As for today's logos, in general, here are my favorites..............

..............and here are the ones I like the least.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-11-17 at 11:48 AM.
Old 05-10-17, 07:51 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

I don't have a singular favorite per se, but I tend to like and dislike these marque logos

Abarth
Aston Martin
Ferrari
Jaguar (Leaper)
Lamborghini
Lexus
Lotus
Maserati
Mercedes-Benz
Saab

DISLIKE
Dodge
Mazda
Renault
Toyota
Old 05-10-17, 08:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I don't have a singular favorite per se, but I tend to like and dislike these marque logos

Abarth
Aston Martin
Ferrari
Jaguar (Leaper)
Lamborghini
Lexus
Lotus
Maserati
Mercedes-Benz
Saab

DISLIKE
Dodge
Mazda
Renault
Toyota

You've always been a Ford fan, right? ...or, at least, that's my impression. Of course, liking a certain company for the vehicles they make does not necessarily mean one will like their logo. For instance, I generally like Audi products, I think that the four-ring logo is awkward-looking.
Old 05-10-17, 08:43 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You've always been a Ford fan, right? ...or, at least, that's my impression. Of course, liking a certain company for the vehicles they make does not necessarily mean one will like their logo. For instance, I generally like Audi products, I think that the four-ring logo is awkward-looking.

Indeed I am. Ford's logo to me is classy, but its a bit ho-hum. Audi is interesting in that while I don't much care for the look either, I do love the heritage and what the four rings represent. Symbolizing the amalgamation of four independent motor companies; Audi, DKW, Horch, and Wanderer, forming the roots of today's Audi AG.
Old 05-10-17, 09:39 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

The Ferrari logo is timeless.

Name:  fYzSVqT.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  9.4 KB

Tesla's logo is also really nice.
Old 05-11-17, 10:50 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ferrari, Porsche, BMW, Alfa Romeo look the coolest to me.

Audi, Merc, JLA are nice too. I think Cadillac's redesigned logo looks very sleek and current.

Some of the worst are probably Acura and Infiniti. Neither conveys an aura of luxury. They look ugly and go really well with those brands' mediocre cars I suppose.
Old 05-11-17, 11:06 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I honestly think that BMW is at the top of the list, it has that Apple factor but also represents Bavaria.

I also like the Buick tri shield --I don't know what the Buick tri shield stands for, but I do know that's what it's called.

Mercedes Benz is classic....

Find Toyota's logo to be quite ugly, never liked Nissan (owned a Nissan 19 yrs)...
Old 05-11-17, 11:33 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Oh btw I dislike Hyundai about the same amount as Toyota, but I feel that Lexus is not bad....nothing spectacular, but not gaudy or anything....let's face it, if we came up with a new car co. today, it would not be easy to come up with a winning logo, because I think it represents a lot, even centuries of products........imho....
Old 05-11-17, 11:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Oh btw I dislike Hyundai about the same amount as Toyota, but I feel that Lexus is not bad....nothing spectacular, but not gaudy or anything....let's face it, if we came up with a new car co. today, it would not be easy to come up with a winning logo, because I think it represents a lot, even centuries of products........imho....
Although it's not necessarily one of my favorites, for simplicity, neatness, and getting to the point, it's probably hard to beat the Mercedes Tri-star.

(the Mercedes name, BTW, comes from the name of company co-founder Gottlieb Daimler's daughter....Benz, of course, from Karl Benz).
Old 05-11-17, 11:58 AM
Hoovey689

I put it on my negative list, though, because I think the spinning-propeller blue and white sectors look cheap the way they designed the logo. The spinning-propeller image comes from the history of BMW, decades ago, building aircraft engines.
I believe it's a misconception that the BMW logo represents a spinning propeller among a blue sky. If not mistaken its simply homage to the Bavarian flag.
Old 05-11-17, 12:09 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Although it's not necessarily one of my favorites, for simplicity, neatness, and getting to the point, it's probably hard to beat the Mercedes Tri-star.

(the Mercedes name, BTW, comes from the name of company co-founder Gottlieb Daimler's daughter....Benz, of course, from Karl Benz).
Maybe I haven't noticed them that closely because I'm focused on their cool tail lights (like flowing neon)....but I'm not sure if any have three pointed stars spring loaded on the hoods anymore. People use to break them off and use them as keychains...I like how the Spirit of Ecstasy lowers into the grille for protection...

Quick Reply: What are your favorite car logos?