Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

4 GM models dead for 2012

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-11, 03:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,441 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
They sell around 1500 DTS a month, in south Florida.
fixed.

Originally Posted by bagwell
ha!!
nice post!
thanks. nice graph! i'm sure things have changed somewhat since 2006, but govt motors is no doubt still paying too much with taxpayer's money no less.
Old 02-14-11, 06:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Not to mention the car is a poor quality, sloppy handing, poor performing, ugly, with mediocre fuel economy pos.
Yes, I agree that the Lucerne and DTS have significant drivetrain and interior-quality flaws...we discussed that after the recent DTS review I did, and agreed on that. And the handling isn't the best.....but that is an almost inevitable trade-off for the car's smooth, floaty ride......which a LOT of older (and even some not-so-old people) like. The number of DTS and Lucernes I see in this area, every day, is really significant......both cars have a dedicated following. One woman I knew from church (retired and well-heeled), traded her DeVille/DTS in every fall for a brand-new one for 48 years....then passed away.

It is true that modern, updated suspension engineering (particularly on BMW and Mercedes products) can come close to an ideal ride-handling combo, even with lower-profile tires (and even the new LaCrosse has an excellent combination), but that is not necessarily what the typical DTS/Lucene buyer wants. He or she wants the maximum in a soft ride and floatiness, with steering/handling precision not a significant issue for them.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-14-11 at 07:27 PM.
Old 02-14-11, 07:12 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall

It is true that modern, updated suspension engineering (particularly on BMW and Mercedes products) can come close to an ideal ride-handling combo, even with lower-profile tires (and even the new LaCrosse has an excellent combination), but that is not necessarily what the typical DTS/Lucene buyer wants. He or she wants the maximum in a soft ride and floatiness, with steering/handling precision not a significant issue for them.
Agreed on all points, including the taste of those few senile people still licensed seeking maximum of floatiness, surging, motorboating effect.
Old 02-14-11, 07:25 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Agreed on all points, including the taste of those few senile people still licensed seeking maximum of floatiness, surging, motorboating effect.
Paul Simon's "Slip Sliding Away" comes to mind. I know, I'm in that boat.

Last year Lucerne sales were -15% and LaCrosse was +121%. It looks like a lot of Lucerne buyers are making the switch, in addition to new buyers of the brand.
Old 02-14-11, 07:45 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The Lucerne and DTS are built on the same platform at the GM Hamtramck plant (Detroit). They are ramping up Chevy Volt production in that plant.

The STS is built at the Grand River plant in Lansing along with all of the CTS variants. They already retired the 1st generation SRX from that plant and build the new generation SRX in Mexico. Rumors in Lansing say that GM is evaluating bringing an additional vehicle, possibly a Cadillac, to the plant.

The DTS and Lucerne are good cars that have been neglected by GM. The DTS Performance and Lucerne CXS are quick and quite nimble for large FWD cars. Quality isn't what it should be and the dash looks dated. I suspect the current generation will have as many interior squeaks as they age as the past generation, but maybe not.

I came close to buying a DTS Performance instead of a LS430. But, the DTS didn't have the best handicap access for my wife, was too long for what I wanted, and I had quality concerns. According to DTS owners, I should have bought a Cadillac with character rather than a boring rolling appliance.
Old 02-14-11, 07:50 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner
The Lucerne and DTS are built on the same platform at the GM Hamtramck plant (Detroit). They are ramping up Chevy Volt production in that plant. ...
You beat me to it. The Lucerne and the DTS share a platform, and share an assembly plant (but not the platform, of course) with the Volt.
Old 02-15-11, 04:44 AM
gsmithkaty
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed. Many of the lingering DTS drivers have one foot in grave, hardly the growth market. Even those that can legally retain a drivers license don't buy cars often enough to matter (they buy cars fewer cars per decade than the average car buyer). Not to mention the car is a poor quality, sloppy handing, poor performing, ugly, with mediocre fuel economy pos.
Love that comment!!
Old 02-15-11, 10:15 AM
GS3Tek

Received 167 Likes on 127 Posts

Agreed. Many of the lingering DTS drivers have one foot in grave, hardly the growth market. Even those that can legally retain a drivers license don't buy cars often enough to matter (they buy cars fewer cars per decade than the average car buyer). Not to mention the car is a poor quality, sloppy handing, poor performing, ugly, with mediocre fuel economy pos.
sorry, can't stop laughing with the visuals