Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Avoiding Idiots : a short film about a daily commute...

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-11, 08:53 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Avoiding Idiots : a short film about a daily commute...

Video: Avoiding idiots
By Dan Aspel

MCN News Link

Ever felt like you’re the only sane person on the road?

“Avoiding idiots” – a YouTube video shot by Rob Brannigan on his daily commute through the city of Dublini – highlights some of the dangers faced by bikers every day.

Brannigan told MCN: “There were 3 main motivations for shooting the video: firstly, I nearly got taken out at the first clip junction by a red light jumper."

"Secondly, a few weeks later a guy on my nearside nearly got taken out by a car that stopped two inches from him."

“Thirdly – and most importantly - I had a chat with a guy I never met before when I was coming out of hospital for a non-biking injury… he’d lost a leg nine months previously because a lady jumped a red light and took him out."

"There were no witnesses - even though it was a busy junction - and the lady is denying all responsibility. He was a truck driver and lost his job as a consequence.”

(Warning: NWS language in song, so Mute it if you have to...)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE2xNtjJeC0

Last edited by PhilipMSPT; 02-16-11 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-16-11, 09:15 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always wondered what were some extra things to look out for as a cyclist.

I'm planning on getting a bike this year and I don't want to be one of the unlucky riders. How do you avoid people who don't pay attention?
Old 02-16-11, 09:51 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
I've always wondered what were some extra things to look out for as a cyclist.

I'm planning on getting a bike this year and I don't want to be one of the unlucky riders. How do you avoid people who don't pay attention?
After a while, you learn how to predict what people will do. It comes with experience. (See how the driver in the video waits a few seconds after a light turns green, or keeping a safe distance behind cars.)

While I ride, I can tell if someone is going to change a lane, tap on their brakes, or whatever; all depending on how the car is moving, and how the driver inside the car is moving (you can tell which drivers pay attention, and which ones just stare forward without checking their mirrors or blind spots).

Since most car drivers can't see you, you have to assume that they have no clue that you're there. You have to do the work for them...
Old 02-16-11, 09:52 AM
votru
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like this type of video .
Old 02-16-11, 09:59 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Awesome song . I noticed a big issue in the video were people making last minute decisions. I don't understand why folks do that. When I need to get to a lane that leads to my offramp, I get in far away, there's no rush.
Old 02-16-11, 10:16 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

looks like at 1:21 he gives the cutter the finger with his left hand....
Old 02-16-11, 01:48 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I try to be cautious around bikers because I know they have a lot to lose if they get hit.

In the same vein, I see bikers do stupid things just as often. There is this incredibly stupid guy in Anaheim Hills who has a yellow three wheel sport bike and I saw him swerve in and out of stop-and-go traffic, cutting off cars, squeezing in between cars, etc. Seeing the way he drove I'm surprised he is not dead yet.

I also hate it when they cut between lanes in jammed-traffic because when you have SUVs surrounding you and you want to quickly change lanes it's almost impossible to see a biker coming up between lanes. I know they want to save time (and depending on the circumstance it's legal) but I think it's too risky.