Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda Fit engine recall - 700,000 worldwide

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-11, 01:52 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of the primary motives in buying a Honda is knowing the engine will run forever with little problems. That's what makes this problem all the more disastrous for Honda.

So now nearly every Honda is butt ugly and the engine may need replacing at the mid-point of the cars life.

Honda's woes are far worse than Toyota's. It's just that few care.
Old 02-18-11, 02:20 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
That does suck and usually you don't see the problem until thousands of miles down the road when the tolerance is no longer good.

But I suppose this means Toyota's reputation as a great engine maker just eroded away?
well good thing about toyota is that even when they screw up, they take care of the customer... all those engines got extended warranty (8 years, 180,000km)...
Old 02-18-11, 02:29 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Recall the engine....... it doesn't FIT.
Old 02-18-11, 03:56 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhantomZX
And for some reason, most passenger car Honda engines are SOHC.
Trademark Honda stubborn attitude. They mostly have experience with SOHC engines, going back to motorcycles, so they stubbornly refuse to move all their engines to DOHC.

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
One of the primary motives in buying a Honda is knowing the engine will run forever with little problems. That's what makes this problem all the more disastrous for Honda.

So now nearly every Honda is butt ugly and the engine may need replacing at the mid-point of the cars life.

Honda's woes are far worse than Toyota's. It's just that few care.
This right here. I agree completely. Honda's troubles are indeed worse than Toyota's, but very little attention is given to this.
Old 02-18-11, 06:09 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

that's bad.

i thought honda engines were supposed to be bulletproof.
Old 02-19-11, 12:00 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
that's bad.

i thought honda engines were supposed to be bulletproof.
Honda engines USED to be bullet proof =/
Old 02-19-11, 05:42 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

No one makes a bulletproof engine. There is a failure rate for all engines no matter where they came from.
Old 02-20-11, 01:00 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSteg
No one makes a bulletproof engine. There is a failure rate for all engines no matter where they came from.
That is obvious, but not what was being discussed.

The point is, Honda clearly had a reputation in years past of having "bulletproof" engines. No, that did not literally or absolutely mean all engines were bulletproof or 100% reliable. That means Honda had a reputation for MOST of their engines being very durable and very reliable. Not all, but most.

Now with this problem, a lot of Honda engines have problems, and one can no longer claim Honda engines have a "bulletproof" reputation.
Old 02-20-11, 08:46 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

i always find it funny that with all the known issues with TMC engines, they keep being the most reliable in the business... so how awful is the rest of them? :-). Same applies to Honda.

I remember the (hopefully now gone) issue with new AD block diesels in Toyotas, where some of them liked to spend some fuel if driven in high revs constantly... and Toyota has gone through 4 revisions that I know of, and still didnt manage to eliminate it completely.

We were at Avensis educational conference and we were talking about that, and one VW dealer that has just turned Toyota told me: "Rav4 engine? That was 1 out of 3... you should see 2.0 TDI, every each one does it and they never do anything about it but give refills to the customers".

Moral of the story: everything breaks, some less and some more than others. Thats why we have the stats... So even if Honda does have an recall, we still know their engines are way more reliable than the average...
Old 02-20-11, 08:55 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
That is obvious, but not what was being discussed.

The point is, Honda clearly had a reputation in years past of having "bulletproof" engines. No, that did not literally or absolutely mean all engines were bulletproof or 100% reliable. That means Honda had a reputation for MOST of their engines being very durable and very reliable. Not all, but most.

Now with this problem, a lot of Honda engines have problems, and one can no longer claim Honda engines have a "bulletproof" reputation.
Read what spwolf had to say. Honda still has a reputation for reliability even some of the engines cracked. We are talking about a relatively low percentage of a single engine block. Honda makes multiple engines and they sell millions of them. You make it seem as if all their engines are prone for failure.

The reputation is just the same as Toyota. Some engines were notorious for blowing head gaskets, accumulating sludge faster than other, etc. Despite all that, Toyota is still recognize for being one of the more reliable engine builders. Unless most of their engines start failing, then I highly doubt it's going to damage Honda's reputation.
Old 02-20-11, 11:29 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Recalls are good since the company accepts responsibility and is willing to fix the problem before the owner has to foot the bill.

But an imperfect system is causing all manufactures to cut costs in one way or another and flaws like this get through to the end user. I can't celebrate or snicker when any car company is having these issues because it's ultimately us, the consumer, who could gets hosed if something goes wrong. It could result in a costly repair... heaven forbid there be some catastrophic failure. A consumer should buy a product with reasonable confidence that the thing will last and be safe.