Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Help me pick a car? 12k or less

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-11, 01:34 PM
David1990
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me pick a car? 12k or less

Looks like a messed up the title.. oh well.

Hey guys, long time lurker here. I'm 20 years old, in college, and looking for a car below 12k. Looking for something that will last me a 4-5 years. So far i'm looking at:

2003 IS
2003 Maxima (hard to find ones that are well taken care of)
2003 I35 (same as above, kinda lacking in the handling department)
2003 Accord V6 coupe
2003 GS430 (not so sure about the insurance rates on the V8)
2002-2003 ES
1998 LS (not quite sure about the age though)
1998 SC (same as above)
2003 Passat V6
2003 Altima V6

I used to have a 2006 GLI, but I ran into some problems so I had to sell it.
Any other suggestions?

I'm a member of a lot of forums, but I feel like Club Lexus is a pretty fair forum. That's why I decided to post here. Thank you for all your help!

Last edited by David1990; 02-17-11 at 02:01 PM.
Old 02-17-11, 01:49 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

If you're planning to use this as a daily driver, not really transporting passengers, and still getting pretty decent gas mileage, I'd go with the IS, ES, or Accord coupe. The V8 of the GS would give you some added power and insurance rates probably won't be all that high considering its almost 8 years old. The LS and SC are over a decade old, and if you don't mind taking it in for the more costly maintenance services (if they haven't been done already), then they're classics to own and enjoy. I haven't heard that many good reviews about the Maxima, and it's typically the interior doesn't do it for those drivers as well as some reliability issues. Aside from the cars listed, shop around. There might be better deals for even newer vehicles. Hope you find what you're searching for.
Old 02-17-11, 02:23 PM
ekc
Pole Position

I would stay away from any VWs; reliability is marginal at best. I didn't like the Maxima's styling for that generation, but that's just me. Other than those, the remaining options are all good choices IMO, though V8s will cost more to maintain.
Old 02-17-11, 02:25 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I vote for the IS, depending on condition. Its a good combination of reliability, sportiness, good styling, and ok gas mileage.
Old 02-17-11, 02:27 PM
magneti
Pole Position

a boosted sc of course. just tune it for a daily.
Old 02-17-11, 02:35 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i would pick the 2003 IS. If your kinda handy with cars and like to mod, I would pick the SC
Old 02-17-11, 02:38 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
I haven't heard that many good reviews about the Maxima, and it's typically the interior doesn't do it for those drivers as well as some reliability issues.

The 2003 Maxima was pretty bullet proof and solid. It was the 04 that fell victim to Ghosenizing.

A friend of mine got a sweet 02 GS300 for a little over 13K on Craig's List. It was well cared for.
Old 02-17-11, 02:42 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Go for the IS, but dont expect super mileage.
Old 02-17-11, 02:43 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was in your boat 4 years ago (just graduated college) Needed a car under $15k to last me 4-5 years.
I actually bought a 98 prelude ($5000) and with the extra $10k i saved, i used it on gas/servicing. Never got close to $10k.

2003 IS - Toyota reliability, still looks good too.
2003 Accord V6 coupe - very reliable car, 2 friends have one - no issues. ones at 160k miles.

I'd stay away from the GS (you'll use the gas money you save), and ES/LS (your 20 be a bit sporty! lol), stay away from VW's too. Reliability is on the rocks with some of their cars. Altima is a good car, love Nissan reliability - my families old Nissan went 260k before we donated it - nothing but regular servicing and a new radiator around 150k. (still running). SC is nice, but the age would concern me.

Out of all of them, i'd say 2003 IS or 2003 Accord coupe. Both reliable cars, i can't really say too much about the IS, but i know the 03 Accord coupe should last you if its been maintained well and you keep it that way
Old 02-17-11, 03:06 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I would not get a Lexus or something from a luxury brand while you are going to college. Get something nicer when you are out of college and if you can afford it later. Chances are it is going to get dinged up a few times while you are on campus and insurance is going to be really high on nicer cars at your age. When I have been on different campus's I have noticed students targeting nicer cars when they vandalized them. If it snows where you are going you definitely don't want a IS300(they are terrible in the snow) or really any rwd Lexus. I would also stay away from VWs or anything German due to reliability issues.

I would stick with the Accord or Altima from your list or anything reasonable from Toyota, Scion, or Honda and then Nissan or Mazda.
Old 02-17-11, 03:07 PM
David1990
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
I was in your boat 4 years ago (just graduated college) Needed a car under $15k to last me 4-5 years.
I actually bought a 98 prelude ($5000) and with the extra $10k i saved, i used it on gas/servicing. Never got close to $10k.

2003 IS - Toyota reliability, still looks good too.
2003 Accord V6 coupe - very reliable car, 2 friends have one - no issues. ones at 160k miles.

I'd stay away from the GS (you'll use the gas money you save), and ES/LS (your 20 be a bit sporty! lol), stay away from VW's too. Reliability is on the rocks with some of their cars. Altima is a good car, love Nissan reliability - my families old Nissan went 260k before we donated it - nothing but regular servicing and a new radiator around 150k. (still running). SC is nice, but the age would concern me.

Out of all of them, i'd say 2003 IS or 2003 Accord coupe. Both reliable cars, i can't really say too much about the IS, but i know the 03 Accord coupe should last you if its been maintained well and you keep it that way
I'm leaning toward the Accord Coupe. It's just not really sporty at all, and I'm a big fan of triptronic transmission, and Honda's don't have that. Also people want ridiculous amounts of money for a 8 year old Honda. They hold their resale value so good.

What's the gas mileage like on the IS?
Old 02-17-11, 04:30 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by David1990
I'm leaning toward the Accord Coupe. It's just not really sporty at all, and I'm a big fan of triptronic transmission, and Honda's don't have that. Also people want ridiculous amounts of money for a 8 year old Honda. They hold their resale value so good.

What's the gas mileage like on the IS?
Honda's do have tiptronic transmissions, its just the 03 accord coupe doesn't i think. My 98 Honda Prelude had tip tronic. Your actually better off without it, better reliability out of the transmission With the Prelude, a lot of people had transmission problems when driving with the tiptronic all the time.

The Accord rides pretty nice though, 240HP 3L engine means another 25hp over a (heavier i believe) IS300.

Honda's do hold their value really well, just negotiate and take your time. People will come down on their prices lol. Not sure about the MPG on a IS300, maybe someone can chime in, but my buddy says he gets 25-27 mpg always on his Accord Coupe.
Old 02-17-11, 05:05 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

ehh on the IS. as a 300 owner, its not that great of a car. Doesnt have the creature comforts of a Lexus and honestly the interior materials surprise me now given how they are so "toyota" in nature. Completely hard plastic upper dash, not a single piece of wood, no rear AC vents etc. Its a pretty stripped out car. Reliability is pretty spot on though, except for pesky O2 sensors (Ive had two changed) and a broken CD player. Gas mileage is just below average, but the car is surprisingly pretty peppy given what it has. Its one of the few cars that feels faster than it is.

Suspension is pretty hard, and has really low profile tires, so avoid potholes. You can probably find one for less than 12K.
Old 02-17-11, 07:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
ehh on the IS. as a 300 owner, its not that great of a car. Doesnt have the creature comforts of a Lexus and honestly the interior materials surprise me now given how they are so "toyota" in nature. Completely hard plastic upper dash, not a single piece of wood, no rear AC vents etc. Its a pretty stripped out car. Reliability is pretty spot on though, except for pesky O2 sensors (Ive had two changed) and a broken CD player. Gas mileage is just below average, but the car is surprisingly pretty peppy given what it has. Its one of the few cars that feels faster than it is.
Wood-trim on the door panels and console was offered as a factory option on all but the few yellow IS300s.

The interior and basic design of the car, otherwise, I agree, did have some flaws. The climate-control system constantly wanted to default back to the recirculate setting.....you had to keep switching it manually to outside fresh-air intake (for the defroster) more than should be necessary. And the design of the transmission shift lever, despite a snap-precise operation, had too many restrictions and limitations in what gear you could select at what time.

Suspension is pretty hard, and has really low profile tires, so avoid potholes. You can probably find one for less than 12K.
Some IS300 models were sold with smoother-riding 16" wheels and higher-profile, 55-series tires (I had one myself for several years) Ride-comfort and pothole-protection are generally not issues with that version. (in fact, it's a shame they dropped that option on the 2Gen model)
Old 02-17-11, 07:30 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I would avoid any used luxury car due to possible repair costs. Generally, in that price range, I feel that you'll get more car for your money with lower repair costs and more convenient repair shops if you buy domestic. However, some brands / models will likely require more repairs. A Fusion / Milan may be good choice. If you want larger, consider an Impala, LeSabre, or Taurus. If you want a Japanese brand, Mazda tends not to command the same price premium as Honda, Toyota, or Subaru.

Quick Reply: Help me pick a car? 12k or less