Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cheap oil used by Lexus dealership in Indianapolis

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-11, 01:58 PM
HGill2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I belive it is dealers responsibilty to inform customer of the parts used for service if they are not genuine. Motor Oil sold in bulk are the biggest challenge for API quality audit. Beware of cheap oils used by dealers and quick lubes. One buys Lexus knowing it is a quality vehicle. You will be compromising the performance of Lexus using lower quality parts (Oil).
Old 02-21-11, 02:21 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

HGill2, you keep on insisting that there are better oils used elsewhere and that we should be aware of cheap oils. How do you know Mechanics Pride is cheap? How do you know they're not quality? Are you basing it on the assumption that because it's unknown to you; therefore, it is not good?

If you think Mechanics Pride oil is hard for API to audit, then it's going to be harder to them to audit Toyota, Mobil, etc brand of oil since their bulk is MUCH larger.

I'm willing to bet the majority of the older Lexus on the road today are no longer being serviced by the dealer. Most of them are probably brought to an independent/local mechanic that uses non-Toyota oil. When was the last time you've heard of a catastrophic engine failure due to the use of non-Toyota oil?

The dealers are not going to inform the customers about the oil being used because it's irrelevant. Most are there for an oil change and could care less about what parts are being used as long as nothing bad happens. I would say you are in the minority; however, you are more than welcome to switch dealers.
Old 02-21-11, 03:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The dealer has no incentive to put poor quality oil in the vehicle where it might damage the engine (maybe the costliest part of the car) and they are held responsible for engine issues due to poor quality oil. That makes no sense at all. Not only would it be a costly issue but it would damage reputation and customer loyalty.
Hard to tell, Mike. On the surface, what you say makes some sense. But you never know with some shops. They might put the El Ceapo stuff in the older cars they work on (and those out of warranty) to save money, and save the better, more expensive stuff for the cars that will cost them (and Lexus) more if they screw up.
Old 02-21-11, 06:00 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by The X Men
I would have no problem if they use a name brand like Mobil 1, Amsoil or Royal Purple instead of Toyota oil, but Mechanics Pride oil? Come on. Whats next? Will that dealer use a Fram oil filter instead of Toyota oil filter or maybe a Wix air filter is a few dollars cheaper, will the dealer use Wix filter in my car without telling me about it.
Some of these so call no name oil can be use as long as the owner know that it is in there and do some research and change it out sooner than 10K miles if necessary. Personnaly, I would rather pay $1 extra a quart so I can get the full 10K mile oil change interval and a peace of mind on top of that. Some Lexus owner dont care what type of oil goes into their car, but I for one as well as few others here are very particular about what type of oil we use.
If you're that particular about what goes in your car, then it's your duty to do your research and ask the dealer about what parts and materials they use. If you want to know, it's your job to ask, not theirs to tell you.
Old 02-21-11, 06:13 PM
GSteg
Rookie

I would have no problem if they use a name brand like Mobil 1, Amsoil or Royal Purple instead of Toyota oil, but Mechanics Pride oil? Come on. Whats next?

You're under the assumption that because you do not recognize Mechanics Pride it as a name brand, then it automatically means its cheap/crap/etc. There are a lot of 'no-name' brand that performs better than the brand name you speak of. Mind you not all of these brand names are all that is said to be either.

If you truly do care about performance, then you'll do the research to see whether the product in use is actually good or not. If you decide you want to skip the research and just go straight for the name brand just because you are comfortable with it, then you are not really after the best. If you've done your research and determine that the cheaper Havoline motor oil outperforms the more costly Mobil, will you still use Mobil? If yes, then you're not after the best protection your money can by, but rather buying it for the sake of having the brand name.

In any case, the Mechanics Pride will not cause engine failure. The dealership could have done a lot worse and use oil that's not API-approved. Those who care about using a particular brand will either bring in their own, or request it. Those who aren't particular will be fine with the oil the dealership uses.
Old 02-22-11, 05:49 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Mechanics Pride can be a better oil than Toyota's or it can be worst, the point is I do not know. If my dealer is going to use it in my car, they should tell me before hand.
By the way, if a dealer's service department use a non API-approved motor oil, they can lose their dealership.

Not much on a google and yahoo search of Mechanics Pride oil.In fact, I can't find anything except an an oil distribution company who sells it.

Last edited by Joeb427; 02-22-11 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-22-11, 09:04 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Mechanics Pride can be a better oil than Toyota's or it can be worst, the point is I do not know. If my dealer is going to use it in my car, they should tell me before hand.
They shouldn't have to tell you anything. They are not going to explain every aspect of the service and I don't know any dealership that does so. Most people who bring their cars in for service could care less, otherwise they would do their own oil change or bring in their own box of oil.

By the way, if a dealer's service department use a non API-approved motor oil, they can lose their dealership.
But they're not, so what's the problem?

I'm sure Tom Wood Lexus knows this, and they would not risk putting something in your car that will cost them money in the end.
Old 02-22-11, 05:07 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Kmart sells Mobil, Castro, Pennzoil, etc so yes, I'm okay with them using "Kmart" oil.

I care what goes in my car, which is why I did the research and not rely on brand name only. After all, many people trusted Mobil when buying their Mobil 1 synthetic, but many didn't realize some were based on group III oil. You pay the price of real synthetic to get something less than that. But hey it's a brand name so you can trust them, even though you're not getting the best for your money

If you are expecting the best, then the dealership isn't going to provide you with that. They cut cost too, even on their own OEM parts. You do get great customer service though! When you go to the dealership for an oil change, you pay for the service. Toyota and Lexus stock the same oil and filter, but you pay out of your butt for Lexus' oil change so is the extra money actually going towards better parts? Not really.

Obviously we are not going to agree, but I'm going to side with Lexus and the rest of the industry. Brand name doesn't matter. It's the actual performance of the oil that matters, PERIOD.
Old 02-22-11, 05:12 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm happy with the Kmart oil which happens to be Mobil1 synthetic (per my order) as filled by Lexus service department.
Old 02-23-11, 04:28 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not worried about it (at my Lexus dealership service dept)..
Old 02-23-11, 05:53 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

You do research on the oils that goes into your car right, show me some long term research and independent lab result for this Mechanics pride oil you like so much.
I've not seen one post where he says he "likes" Mechanic's Pride oil, but you do realize that in order to get the API certification the oil has to live up to the same standards as every other oil that carries the seal of approval, right??

You can nitpick with the dealer all you want, but you are simply saying the same thing over and over and over again here whenever someone doesn't come in and agree with you, despite all the statements to the contrary about what is required of the dealer. As has already been stated - if you want to know, ask. If you don't ask, don't complain that you didn't.

And just a suggestion - your posts will offer more validity if you proofread them before posting. Deciphering them can get tedious:

Name brand do cost more and certain brands of generic oil can be better than some name brands. Unfortunately, dealers don't have time to research different generic oil and cost is their main factor in determining what brand of oil they use.
The Lexus dealer I go to used all OEM parts and fluids, that is the reason I go there. If for any reason they put in a generic oil or non-OEM parts in my car without asking me before hand, they would lose my business. I am sure a lot of Lexus owners don't feel that way, most of them are so busy with their lives that they barely have time to drop off their car for maintenance. Some dealers try to take advantage of that fact and cut back on parts and fluids. I guess that's the American way.
That's not 'the American way.' The dealership provided the service you paid for according to the Lexus standard. They used an approved and certified oil that met the OEM requirement and gave you the vehicle back in proper operating condition that will go the specified mileage until it needs to be changed again.

Big Mack
Old 02-23-11, 07:30 PM
LexFather

I have to admit I googled and could not find anything on this oil and I'm damn good at google

Old 02-24-11, 04:27 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I have to admit I googled and could not find anything on this oil and I'm damn good at google

I tried earlier too.Just a oil distributor who has that oil and others.
Strange that there's nothing on the net about that oil.Just this thread!
Old 02-24-11, 06:49 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

That is exactly my point, how can I do research on the brand when there is no information. Just because an oil brand is API approved, it just mean it meets min. requirement, it doesnt mean it is as good as the other brands.
It also doesn't confirm it's any worse.

Look X-Men we all know that you are a very particular consumer and that's fine. But you are assuming that the Lexus dealer owes you explanations that they simply DON'T. If you want to pay extra for brand name retail oil, that's completely your perogative. However, that is completely above and beyond what any dealer owes you. They simply don't. The oil they use is 100% adequate and MEETS LEXUS REQUIREMENTS. Period. So if you want better, ASK (and pay extra) for better.

Please take a look at the below picture. This is a 2003 4Runner V8 that I personally have removed the valve covers from. This engine has 140,000 miles (one owner) on it, and from day 1, has been maintained with cheap, generic no-name brand oil changed at 5k mile intervals WITHOUT EXCEPTION.

As you can see it's spotless. It's also above average from other engines I have seen. The only thing that makes this engine exceptional is the strictly followed oil change interval. If you want to pay more for expensive retail bottled oils, go ahead. But I can gaurantee you this: your engine won't be any cleaner than this one when you hit 140k miles, if you are still driving the same car by then.
Attached Thumbnails Cheap oil used by Lexus dealership in Indianapolis-photo.jpg  
Old 02-24-11, 07:15 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

X Men, if the 4 Runner motor above used same no name brand and went every 10K instead of 5K there would be an issue? And unless you change the oil yourself or watch them put it in you have no idea what they use. I personally buy oil and take it to my guy to change and I'm under car looking at other stuff while that's being done.

Quick Reply: Cheap oil used by Lexus dealership in Indianapolis