Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cheap oil used by Lexus dealership in Indianapolis

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-11, 07:37 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by The X Men
I believe he said he change his oil every 5K miles. The dealer I use always use Toyota motor oil and I can also bring in my own oil if I choose to use Mobil one.
I'm sure there are toyota/lexus motors using the Mechanics Pride oil that have done 10K oil changes and don't have issues. I'm sure I can find out but not really worth it. Very interesting info and perceptions in this thread.
Old 02-24-11, 07:59 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I think we are just going around in circles here. I maintain that Lexus dealers should use Lexus parts and fluids, and you dont.
There's no such thing as Lexus parts nor fluids.

As for fluids, Toyota recommends you use what they spec, or equivalent. Mechanics Pride with the proper rating is that equivalent if it meets the spec the car requires.

I understand what you are saying, but the only real fluid you should be worried about is genuine transmission fluid and coolant. Everything else is fine on Toyota vehicles. Brake, power steering, differentials... Generics are fine that meet the spec.

But when it comes to ATF, I only use T-IV or WS if that's what the car calls for. Same with coolant. Toyota red or Toyota pink.
Old 02-24-11, 09:01 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I have to admit I googled and could not find anything on this oil and I'm damn good at google
Originally Posted by Joeb427

I tried earlier too.Just a oil distributor who has that oil and others.
Strange that there's nothing on the net about that oil.Just this thread!
That is exactly my point, how can I do research on the brand when there is no information. Just because an oil brand is API approved, it just mean it meets min. requirement, it doesnt mean it is as good as the other brands.

If I can find Mechanics Pride in the area, I will buy it and use it in my car. I will also do a used oil analysis to confirm that the engine isn't going to self-destruct anytime soon. However, I only do my oil change once a year (yes, UOA confirmed) so even if I do switch over to Mechanics Pride, you will not get any results from me until the next year.
Old 02-24-11, 10:45 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Around here the pricing is as follows per quart:

Wholesale Generics: $1.89
Retail Brand Name Conventional: $4.49
Retail Brand Name Synthetic: $8.49

So it's more than a dollar typically. You might have a different situation. If a dollar will step you up to something that makes you feel better, then by all means go for it.

But that dollar eighty-nine dino juice sure has served the 4Runner well. And millions of other cars on the road. The long-term proof is right there.
Old 02-24-11, 11:16 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,934 Likes on 2,471 Posts

Just because an engine is clean does not mean that the oil is offering the best wear protection. Not saying a particular oil is bad, but you certainly cannot judge the overall quality of a lubricant based on the surface appearance of an engine.

It's all a matter of value. Some people don't see the value in spending more for a quality synthetic oil, which is fine. If you change your oil at proper intervals, almost any oil will offer at least adequate protection.
Old 02-24-11, 12:17 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whatever, always fun talking about oil with words like, "it's fine, value, makes me feel good, perceptions, looks clean, good as other brands, sold at Kmart, guessing, ...........".

10K intervals w/Mobil1 synthetic at my Lexus dealership reduces (for those prone to such) anxiety and concern.
Old 02-25-11, 12:25 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HGill2
I belive it is dealers responsibilty to inform customer of the parts used for service if they are not genuine. Motor Oil sold in bulk are the biggest challenge for API quality audit. Beware of cheap oils used by dealers and quick lubes. One buys Lexus knowing it is a quality vehicle. You will be compromising the performance of Lexus using lower quality parts (Oil).
whats a 'genuine' lexus oil? Lexus makes oil now?

I haven't had the best experience with Tom Wood Lexus either but I'll say that while I have never had my Lexus serviced at Tom Wood Lexus, I have bought plenty of parts from them and the parts/service department has always treated me well. My parents has had their Lexus serviced at Tom Wood Lexus since when they were next to Ford and haven't had an issue.
Old 02-25-11, 01:23 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I've found through Google,

Oil Distributing Company is located in Ohio.

from their website, www.oildistributing.com

Passenger Car Oils (Installer / Retail)

The Oil Distributing Company specializes in the dealership, lube center, and auto/tire repair centers. We offer branded products that feature customized signage, equipment loans, and co-op advertising monies. Our Shell/Pennzoil/Quaker State program drives new customers, increases your ticket average, builds repeat business, and adds value to your service center.

* Leaders in Synthetic Marketing *

In addition, our Shell, Citgo, Service Pro and Mechanic's Pride program allows our customers a more economical lubricant without sacrificing product quality.

Along with engine oils, Oil Distributing also markets transmission fluid, greases, gear oils, filters, mineral spirits, brake clean, floor cleaners ...

A basic explanation of what they do, also from their website:

Company Profile

The Oil Distributing Company, founded in 1982, is the Midwest's premier marketer of lubricants, coolants, and chemicals. Oil Distributing is headquartered in Cincinnati, Ohio with a separate distribution center in Columbus. All told, between 4,000,000 to 5,000,000 gallons of product flow through these facilities to our primary marketing area (including SE Indiana, Northern Kentucky, and Ohio).

The Oil Distributing Company services all of your lubricant, coolant, and chemical needs. We specialize in the automotive, commercial, and industrial markets featuring the Pennzoil, Quaker State, Shell, BP, Castrol and Citgo brands. In addition, we market a high quality, economical private label product line. "Mechanic's Pride" branded lubricants serve your automotive needs, and "ODC Industrial" will handle your commercial, industrial, coolant, and chemical requirements.
These are Mechanic's Pride's licenses according to API.

http://eolcs.api.org/brandSearchResu...ride&go=Search

Last edited by whoster; 02-25-11 at 01:31 AM.
Old 02-25-11, 05:01 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by whoster
From what I've found through Google,

Oil Distributing Company is located in Ohio.

from their website, www.oildistributing.com

A basic explanation of what they do, also from their website:

These are Mechanic's Pride's licenses according to API.

http://eolcs.api.org/brandSearchResu...ride&go=Search
That's wonderful but I'll continue to buy name brand oil until I see any generic brand oil's numbers of these typical physical properties.

Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C,
Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C,
Viscosity Index
Cold Crank Simulator Apparent Viscosity
Pour Point °C (°F)
Flash Point °C (°F)
Fire Point
Noack Volatility
High Temperature/High Shear Viscosity
Total Base Number

Last edited by Joeb427; 02-25-11 at 05:05 AM.
Old 02-25-11, 08:57 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
That's wonderful but I'll continue to buy name brand oil until I see any generic brand oil's numbers of these typical physical properties.

Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C,
Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C,
Viscosity Index
Cold Crank Simulator Apparent Viscosity
Pour Point °C (°F)
Flash Point °C (°F)
Fire Point
Noack Volatility
High Temperature/High Shear Viscosity
Total Base Number
These physical quality hardly affects the average consumer. I know internet geeks like to dissect these numbers and try to get 'the best' but in actuality, the car will break down due to other problems long before the engine dies. Unless you are racing in Formula 1 or running around in the Arctic, the difference is negligible and will not affect street driven cars. I highly doubt the average consumer will even approach the oil's flashing point. If they are, then something is wrong, or they used oil that's not meant for the car.
Old 02-25-11, 09:55 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSteg
These physical quality hardly affects the average consumer. I know internet geeks like to dissect these numbers and try to get 'the best' but in actuality, the car will break down due to other problems long before the engine dies. Unless you are racing in Formula 1 or running around in the Arctic, the difference is negligible and will not affect street driven cars. I highly doubt the average consumer will even approach the oil's flashing point. If they are, then something is wrong, or they used oil that's not meant for the car.
True but I like to know what the quality is with anything I install or use in my vehicles.
Especially in an oil I'm going to use with a long interval but I'm OCD when it comes to my vehicles.

Buy a used vehicle from me and it's a great one.

Last edited by Joeb427; 02-25-11 at 09:59 AM.
Old 02-25-11, 11:01 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Mediocrity is good enough for some people as far as oil is concern, but I like to use an oil that exceeds Mediocrity, just like my Lexus exceeds Mediocrity.
Spot on!!!
Old 02-25-11, 02:22 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,273 Likes on 1,380 Posts

HGill2,

I've waited several days for a response to my private message regarding your potential business-related conflict of interest in creating this thread.

I await your reply.