Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Peugeot RCZ??????

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-11, 02:45 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Peugeot RCZ??????

so I'm stuck in Monterrey, Mexico and went walking around -- and saw this pretty cool looking Peugeot at a dealer.....actually looks like an Audi TT clone to me....

What is it?
The Peugeot RCZ is the French company’s TT - a brand new coupe built to give the firm’s image a boost and show that it still has its flair for design and dynamics. It’s the 2007 Frankfurt concept car made real, in just two years, and it’s turned out better looking, too.

Technical highlights?
Finally, Peugeot has released its own, high power version of the 1.6-litre turbocharged ‘four’ jointly developed with Mini/BMW. The range-topping 197bhp engine has direct injection, variable inlet and exhaust valve timing and a twin-scroll turbo, and delivers 206lb ft or torque from just 1770rpm. There’s a 156bhp version and a 163bhp diesel, too. The RCZ is reasonably light at 1270kg and uses a wider-track version of the ‘platform 2’ chassis seen on the 308 and others.

What’s it like to drive?
The handling of the 197bhp petrol RCZ – which features some extra bracing – is exceptionally clean and precise, which sounds a bit dull if you’re a fan of traditional, fluid, tail-happy Peugeots. But although the front tyres do most of the work and the coupe’s balance is unwaveringly neutral, the front seems never to run out of grip, despite not having a limited slip diff or leaning on electronic traction control. And yet it rides with impressive suppleness and poise, being caught out only by big bumps and sharp ridges. The diesel is noticeably more nose-heavy and a bit joyless but it does suggest that the base petrol model, which shares the same chassis, will be good, clean fun.

How does it compare?
It makes the base Audi TT feel a bit woolly (but not under-powered), and the base BMW Z4 laden with character but less able. Both those rivals look like the entry-level models they are, while all RCZs look top-of-the-range spangly. Closest rival is the Volkswagen Scirroco, which is vastly more practical as a four-seat coupe, because despite the RCZ’s gorgeous double-bubble roof/rear screen, its tiny rear seats are largely cosmetic.

Anything else I need to know?
The 156bhp petrol and 163bhp diesel models arrive in the UK first with the 197bhp petrol and autos following in the summer. Prices are keen, from £20,450 to £25,050.

kinda similar info here in an old thread... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...v-concept.html

Last edited by bagwell; 02-18-11 at 02:53 PM.
Old 02-18-11, 04:25 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautiful car.

I've seen a handful on the roads here and they're headturners. What a stunning machine.
Old 02-18-11, 07:28 PM
acheparev
Driver

I like it somewhat, but the grill should go on the Ugliest Grill list. Looks like a toothless smile.
Old 02-19-11, 05:54 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

One of the fortunate things about when I lived in Mexico was seeing these beautiful European vehicles that will never grace our roads.
Old 02-19-11, 11:50 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ interesting, I thought they ( Peugeot ) folded years ago and this is why we don't see them anymore.
Old 02-19-11, 12:59 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by passnu2
^ interesting, I thought they ( Peugeot ) folded years ago and this is why we don't see them anymore.
its crazy --- it seems that Mexico gets more type of cars than the US and they border each other.
Old 02-19-11, 01:04 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I saw many of those in Paris, and they did remind me of the Audi TT.
Old 02-19-11, 03:07 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool review of something we will not likely see locally.
Old 02-20-11, 10:45 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
its crazy --- it seems that Mexico gets more type of cars than the US and they border each other.
There's differences in safety/emissions standards, primarily safety with reasons we don't get some of those vehicles in the Mexican market coming to the U.S.

Fiat, Peugeot, Renault, Seat are ones offhand. In addition, most other manufacturers bring a full range of the vehicles they sell in Europe. I loved the turbocharged Ford Focus they sold down there, a popular vehicle at our track.
Old 02-20-11, 11:33 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Saw these in Europe last year. Gorgeous car in person. Looks better than a tt.
Old 02-20-11, 01:17 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by speedflex
Gorgeous car in person. Looks better than a tt.
I think it makes the Audi TT look really, really plain.

This car has style, flair and visual character. I wouldn't mind one in my garage even though I'm not the sporty type.
Old 02-20-11, 05:49 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

a bit short on power tho, 197hp/206tq....just needs a slight bump.