Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

hyundai/kia definitely making a dent in the market, at least in florida...

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-11, 11:57 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Haven't seen that many KIAs, but I've been seeing a lot of Hyundai, particularly the Sonatas.
Old 02-22-11, 06:43 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see Sonatas all over the place. I haven't seen a hybrid yet, but I saw my first turbo model yesterday. Aside from the "2.0T" on the trunk lid, you can't really tell it apart from the regular model. I have seen quite a few 2011 Elantras lately too.
Old 02-22-11, 09:08 PM
YEH
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cherplex
I've noticed a lot of the new Sonata's in the DC area, not as much Kia's though.
Yeah, a lot of 2011 Sonatas in and around DC; see more Genesis sedans around Northern VA than I usually do as well (altho the real hotspots for the Genesis sedan are in CA and FL); haven't seen too many of the new Elantras yet, but see plenty of the Santa Fe.

Also see more Azeras than what one should think.

Even tho the Soul and Forte/Koup have been out quite a bit longer, I see more 2011 Sorentos around (not really surprising considering the Sorento sells at about 2x the rate).

Still, the most common vehicles I see by are the Accord and Odyssey.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
As Mike stated tons of them here. Reminds me of Nissan's style resurgence in the early 2000s, a bunch of non enthusiasts that can't tell you how to change the oil looking smug, in the fast lane and double parking.
Well, that's better than non-enthusiasts who evidently don't know how to drive (well, according to Toyota).

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Optima has a $199 lease looking like penetration pricing right now.
Not exactly penetration pricing these days.

Can easily find sub-$200 Camry deals - such as $189 w/ $499 down or $158 a month w/ $999 due at signing.

Last edited by YEH; 02-22-11 at 09:19 PM.
Old 02-22-11, 09:18 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A lot of Genesis Coupes and the new Sonata's here in the Inland Empire that im seeing driving around now. I like the new Sonata 2.0T, i checked it out before buying the IS for kicks, i actually wanted one for a while but couldn't after seeing a pearl white IS
Old 02-27-11, 01:43 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by YEH

Can easily find sub-$200 Camry deals - such as $189 w/ $499 down or $158 a month w/ $999 due at signing.
Nationally, no you cannot. National Camry deal is $259/month lease rate. For the Sonata, the national deal is $199/month. You can probably find cheaper local deals for the Camry, but you will also be able to find cheaper local deals for the Sonata as well.

The Camry is a dated design on its way out while the Sonata is a new model, yet the Sonata is offered for a lower lease rate than the Camry.
Old 02-27-11, 02:09 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

Lots of new base model Sonatas in Los Angeles. Haven't seen any new Optimas yet though. New Tucson seems to be selling well. Hardly seen any Souls or Sportages.
Old 02-27-11, 07:25 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,516 Likes on 1,655 Posts

i continue to be stunned at how many hyundais and kias i see around here...

saw a couple of souls yesterday, a new sonata turbo, a couple of genesis, of course several sorrentos... and i like in a small town.
Old 02-27-11, 10:28 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, starting to see a lot Hyundai Sonata cars propping up here in Metro Manila (Philippines).

Heck, if this keeps up, I might see more Sonatas than Accords (US body) :P
Old 02-27-11, 03:07 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 163 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Nationally, no you cannot. National Camry deal is $259/month lease rate. For the Sonata, the national deal is $199/month. You can probably find cheaper local deals for the Camry, but you will also be able to find cheaper local deals for the Sonata as well.

The Camry is a dated design on its way out while the Sonata is a new model, yet the Sonata is offered for a lower lease rate than the Camry.
thats 20% less too, not small money. It is as if Camry was $20k and Sonata was $16k
Old 02-27-11, 07:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

The local Sonata TV dealer-ads, here in the D.C. area, have been touting it as currently the fastest-growing car in America. While not definitive, there seems to be at least some truth to that claim.
Old 02-27-11, 11:39 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
thats 20% less too, not small money. It is as if Camry was $20k and Sonata was $16k
Makes you question all the online hype for the Sonata. If Hyundai is offering such low national lease rates, then they are desperate to sell Sonatas, and the car is not quite as hot in the market as the online hype makes it seem. Sales figures don't lie either, and Sonata sales have been cooling down the past few months.
Old 02-28-11, 10:12 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
not sure of the need for such condescension.

most ANY vehicle owners can't tell you how to change the oil, and people in all brands hog the fast lane and most double parking is done by expensive cars i'd say who believe they've somehow bought a right to violate the law.
What I am saying is I cannot fap off to cars that everyone has that replace old Hyundais or Camry's, Civics etc. Yeah I see a lot of them, I noticed they are the new ***** of pedestrian brands like how Audi is the new ***** of luxury brands. For the 1 millionth time its great what they have done but lets be realistic, they are pedestrian vehicles and yawn inducing.

Again this is no different than what Nissan did in the early decade, make more stylish cars that people swarmed to. Kudos to them but I'm not about to put a poster on my wall.

Maybe I am desensitized seeing Panamera's, Astons, Ranges, Maser's etc on a daily basis. A Camry, Sonata, Accord doesn't make me drool, sorry.

Originally Posted by YEH
Well, that's better than non-enthusiasts who evidently don't know how to drive (well, according to Toyota).
Thanks for coming here to make swipes at Toyota. I am very happy for you, I really am. It must have been hard being a Kia/Hyundai fan and be the laughingstock of the vehicle world for over 20 years. So I can understand the enthusiasm for the new vehicles. Its great, much better than 1989. That said if it wasn't for the very brand you make jabs at, Hyundai would be clueless. They simply used the Toyota playbook, hired ex Toyota employees and added some styling.

Originally Posted by YEH

We know this is hard for you but this has nothing to do with the Camry. Saying a brand has a lease rate isn't derogatory, they have a lease rate. Everyone here is well aware of Toyota's incentives and here you are trying to make up some rate.

Yes its penetration pricing. Lucky its not dumping, which is illegal. Though I wonder if our great Military Bases were not there protecting how things would be different. Amazingly we are protecting, in some cases building and buying the cars.

There should be a free Hyundai/Kia for American troops that serve there.