Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

hyundai/kia definitely making a dent in the market, at least in florida...

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-11, 07:08 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,516 Likes on 1,655 Posts
Default hyundai/kia definitely making a dent in the market, at least in florida...

i live in a small town in florida, fair amount of low income, so not surprised that hyundai/kia would do quite well here. but this weekend i went down to a ritzy beach area. saw lambos, bentleys and the rest... but what SHOCKED me was how many kias and hyundais i saw. loads of sonatas, sorrentos, and that new kia optima which is SHARP looking.

anyone else notice they're making pretty big inroads?
Old 02-21-11, 07:32 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely seeing a lot of them here. I've had a few friends trade in Jettas and Civics for the new Elantra and I have quite a few Sonatas in my parking decks at work and home.

Also seeing plenty of new Optimas...nice car.
Old 02-21-11, 07:46 AM
LexFather

As Mike stated tons of them here. Reminds me of Nissan's style resurgence in the early 2000s, a bunch of non enthusiasts that can't tell you how to change the oil looking smug, in the fast lane and double parking. The attitude turnaround is amazing. Also there is a Kia plant in GA and there was an article stating how its helped the area around it.

Optima has a $199 lease looking like penetration pricing right now. For pedestrian cars they have done a great job with styling.

Old 02-21-11, 08:49 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't see anything wrong with bringing some style and swagger to the mainstream where the vast majority of us live. For too long it was that you had to settle for reliable and affordable but bland and style-less.

Both of these brands are on the rise and they are both making smart decisions and it's showing in the market where it really counts.
Old 02-21-11, 09:01 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I haven't seen many Optimas on the road here in Tucson yet, but the Soul seems to be everywhere. The Hyundai Sonata is a big seller here and you see lots of them around. The local rental agencies also have the new Sonata which the rent as full size cars alongside the Fusion.

Maybe they are more noticeable because of the styling, but obviously Hyundai has a hit so far. One of the local Hyundai dealers is charging a premium over list for the Turbo. Haven't seen a hybrid yet.
Steve
Old 02-21-11, 09:17 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

it reminds me of honda in the 80s which had hit after hit and grew market share...
Old 02-21-11, 09:18 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Sonata and Soul are common in northern CA. At first I was thinking they were mostly rentals, but not the case.
Old 02-21-11, 09:19 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
... a bunch of non enthusiasts that can't tell you how to change the oil looking smug, in the fast lane and double parking. ...
not sure of the need for such condescension.

most ANY vehicle owners can't tell you how to change the oil, and people in all brands hog the fast lane and most double parking is done by expensive cars i'd say who believe they've somehow bought a right to violate the law.

For pedestrian cars they have done a great job with styling.
damning with faint praise. it's like saying - for midgets, they're pretty tall.
Old 02-21-11, 09:34 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I've noticed a lot of the new Sonata's in the DC area, not as much Kia's though.
Old 02-21-11, 10:59 AM
bad co
Lexus Champion

I tetst drove the new optima turbo, that car is very well buil nicce and quiet and pulls very well.
Old 02-21-11, 02:14 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

looks like their advertising is paying off.

i just saw a video clip of a slam dunk contest, with some guy dunking over a new optima.

kia is just getting this car wherever they can show it.
Old 02-21-11, 03:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

I'm not a fan of Hyundai's latest stying trends, much-preferring the look and feel of their last-generation products (especially the Sonata and Tucson), but there is no doubt that the new ones are selling just as well or better than their immediate predecessors. Some of the popularity, of course, is from clever (but sometimes tacky) TV/magazine ads like the Kia Soul hamsters, but, in general, these vehicles don't need ads to sell.....their quality, value, and warranty do that job for them. In fact, if they would get around to doing something along the lines of the Outback/Venza/Crosstour (such as an AWD Sonata raised-suspension wagon), I'd seriously consider one myself. But Hyundai's corporate management, at this time, is not receptive to AWD in their pasenger-car lines, and restrict it solely to the SUVs (I asked about this at the recent D.C. Auto Show).

My brother, BTW, was sold (or, rather Soul-ed) on the Kia Soul. We went shopping for a new one last July, and came home with one for him that night. So far, he loves it.
Old 02-21-11, 05:20 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

I've seen a lot of Optima and Sonata's on the road. They are both well built cars and im not surprised they are selling well.
Old 02-21-11, 11:05 PM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

They're definately becoming very popular here in NY as well. Even I may end up in a Genesis Coupe as a next car.
Old 02-21-11, 11:40 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Hyundai Sonata loud and clear on tonight's episode of House

Quick Reply: hyundai/kia definitely making a dent in the market, at least in florida...