Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

well, I've finally seen $3.01/gallon REGULAR gas...

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-11, 08:26 AM
LexFather

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/02/...hutch-parkway/

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Pain at the pump got more severe last week. AAA said the average cost of a gallon of gas jumped about 15 cents.
Drivers are on the lookout for price gouging, but one local official said the city is allowing it to happen right under its nose, reports CBS 2’s Tony Aiello.
The price at this pump is enough to make your heart jump.
RELATED: Gas Prices Continue To Rise In Tri-State | NY Lawmakers Introduce Bill To Prevent Gas Price Gouging | Analyst: Libya’s Unrest Won’t Have Big Impact On Gas Prices | To Many Area Drivers, New Jersey Is Gas Price Utopia | Thanks Libya: Tri-Staters Bracing As $4 Gas Nears | Unrest In Libya To Hit You At The Gas Pump
“I was really blown away by the price!” one driver said.
It’s $4.09 a gallon for regular at the two CITGO stations on the Hutchinson River Parkway just north of the Bruckner. One driver didn’t pay attention and a fill-up cost him $63.
“Kind of in a hurry, coming back from vacation, just wanted to get where I was going, did not look,” said Tracy McMillan of Fairfield, Conn.
Aiello looked and found gas 40 cents cheaper at a nearby Hess station, 50 cents cheaper at a BP station and 60 cents cheaper at an independent station. And that has Bronx City Councilman James Vacca calling for action against the CITGO stations.
“They’re obligated to be in sync with surrounding gasoline prices in the immediate community,” Vacca said.
The CITGO stations sit on city land and operate under a deal with the Parks Department. Last summer the department warned the stations about price gouging — reminding the owner to offer “quality and price as prevail at other stations within a 5-mile radius.”
“I want the city to terminate this contract,” Vacca said, adding “$4.09 is nowhere near any gas station in the immediate vicinity, and they’re violating the terms of their agreement.”
These prices are actually an improvement over last August, when this station was caught selling gas for about 90 cents more per gallon than other stations in the area.
The owner denied gouging, telling Aiello the stations are expensive to operate because of the rent the city charges — despite their convenience on the parkway.
Some drivers told Aiello the prices at the stations are always peculiar and that they always just drive right on by.
It turns out, there’s cheaper gas at the next exit.
Late Monday the Parks Department said based on complaints it is “evaluating” prices at the CITGO stations.

Old 03-01-11, 09:21 AM
Danimal
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been lucky so far, I live moderately close, about 15 minutes away walking distance, to a campus bus route. I get to catch that thing for free (well... except what I put in as tuition and taxes, I suppose).

I think the last time I filled up the SC was the first week of January. That's right, I own 2 cars and I take public transportation almost everywhere. Hell yeah.
Old 03-01-11, 09:28 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Danimal
That's right, I own 2 cars and I take public transportation almost everywhere. Hell yeah.
you're lucky
Old 03-01-11, 09:53 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, gas prices here have been stable for a whole 3 days, wtf.
Old 03-01-11, 10:35 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

I'd rather have this issue than what we deal with up here. At least it's only one rogue station being higher. Because we have so many fewer fuel companies up here, they work together to set their prices as there is less competition. It's collusion and I have always wondered why it has never been challenged in court? Oh...that's right...I forgot...the oil companies make billions a year and profit and would make a legal challenge cost prohibitive.

In most places in Canada, you can find, in any densely populated area, the exact same price at any station within say a 5 km radius. And even if you expand the radius, you might find a station or two that would be a couple cents cheaper per liter.

Long weekend coming up? Prices go up at all of them. There is no "competition" as they all work together to protect their prices and ultimately their profit.
Old 03-01-11, 03:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Wow, gas prices here have been stable for a whole 3 days, wtf.
It's dropped a little in my neighborhood in the last few days.....but only a few cents. Light sweet crude, though, is still running around $100 a barrel, so I don't look for any major price drop in the immediate future.

One thing, though, that could be affecting local demand at the pumps (and might bring at least some lowering prices), right now, is people simply driving less. My experence, in the past, is that local traffic levels aren't usually affected until gas gets above $4 or so. But, in today's economy, a lot of people simply don't have the income to spend on gas that they did in the past....so gas may not have to get to $4 or more to start affecting sales. And, regardless of what official crude world-prices are, gas-station owners have to drop their prices if they can't sell their current stocks.

(it's interesting, though, that U.S. auto-sales are up for February, despite much higher gas prices.....I'm currently doing a new thread on that)
Old 03-01-11, 03:57 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

still rising slowly in my area....$3.29 regular
Old 03-01-11, 04:10 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall

(it's interesting, though, that U.S. auto-sales are up for February, despite much higher gas prices.....I'm currently doing a new thread on that)
Yes, it will be interesting to see how the (auto sales) product mix changes going forward with the higher gas prices.
Old 03-01-11, 05:13 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

BTW -- oil closed at 100.35/bbl today.
Old 03-02-11, 12:02 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Oil is over trading over $101 today. Local gas price today is $3.85 for Chevron regular.
Old 03-02-11, 12:28 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

This price increase is different because we are seeing the same price per barrel with less demand than before. Things could get ugly quick should demand pick up (like it does, always) after the start of the year.

Make your plans now, gasoline is going to skyrocket soon and you don't want to be caught unprepared.

**** like this: http://www.energypublisher.com/article.asp?id=49476 is making everyone in energy trading go crazy.

*edit* ^ Brent crude is @ $115+. At least Natural Gas is down - we have so much domestic production and future supply that it's quelling any fears of middle east instability.

Last edited by Infra; 03-02-11 at 12:33 PM.
Old 03-05-11, 07:58 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

US$5.07/C$4.93 per gallon here in Montreal for regular.
Old 03-05-11, 09:21 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

$104.42/barrel COB yesterday, futures predicting $115.00 by end of next week

Gas $3.42 regular here... and no matter what happens, if oil stabilizes for the next 2 weeks at $105, there's STILL another 35-cent rise in gas prices coming to catch up... so we're looking at $4.00 a gallon as we head into "driving season"
Old 03-05-11, 09:40 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

$3.89 for chevron regular today here, add 18 - 20 cents for premium.
Old 03-05-11, 09:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
$104.42/barrel COB yesterday, futures predicting $115.00 by end of next week

Gas $3.42 regular here... and no matter what happens, if oil stabilizes for the next 2 weeks at $105, there's STILL another 35-cent rise in gas prices coming to catch up... so we're looking at $4.00 a gallon as we head into "driving season"
The Saudis, with their enormous capacity, have promised to step in and increase production to keep prices from completely getting out of hand. The main problem is, though, that even the Saudis can't necessarily keep speculators from just going nuts with their bids.

Although the issue of national energy-policy is probably better-discussed in the DEBATE forum than in CAR CHAT, it seems to go without saying that we badly need to start converting to non-petroleum auto fuels. Except for E85 ethanol stations (primarily in the Midwest), we have not really invested much in a non-petroleum refilling infrastructure.....and ethanol, of course, takes up a significant portion of our corn-crop.

Quick Reply: well, I've finally seen $3.01/gallon REGULAR gas...