Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

well, I've finally seen $3.01/gallon REGULAR gas...

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-11, 02:07 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

gas as my local station shot up 10 cents from yesterday
Old 02-24-11, 02:57 PM
ekc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Regular gas in my area just went above $3.60/gallon. The unrest in Middle East is fueling the price increase big time.
Old 02-24-11, 03:07 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RXSF
gas as my local station shot up 10 cents from yesterday
Wow, at that rate of $.10/day increase, we will hit $8.00 in 6 or 7 weeks.
Old 02-24-11, 03:21 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ekc
Regular gas in my area just went above $3.60/gallon. The unrest in Middle East is fueling the price increase big time.
Step up Volt and Leaf production!

I do wonder what would happen if Lexus were bold enough to only offer the RX in hybrid form. I think that people would continue to buy it just as much as they do now and it would save a lot of fuel. 2.5-2.7L I4 hybrid for the RX, ES, Tacoma, you name it. But I suppose that you have to have the capacity produce that many.
Old 02-24-11, 03:58 PM
ekc
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Step up Volt and Leaf production!

I do wonder what would happen if Lexus were bold enough to only offer the RX in hybrid form. I think that people would continue to buy it just as much as they do now and it would save a lot of fuel. 2.5-2.7L I4 hybrid for the RX, ES, Tacoma, you name it. But I suppose that you have to have the capacity produce that many.
Problem is, the batteries in the Volt and Leaf are lithium-ion batteries. Lithium is a limited natural resource just like crude oil. Depend on them too much and it'll just become another oil problem.
Old 02-24-11, 05:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Yep....shot up another 10 cents in my neighborhood last night, too. In two days, Shell regular gas has gone from $3.26 to 3.46.
Old 02-24-11, 05:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Wow, at that rate of $.10/day increase, we will hit $8.00 in 6 or 7 weeks.
I actually heard some $8.00 predictions for gas here in the U.S. today from some people, but I question the credibility of those predictions. For one thing, the Saudis have already pledged to step up their oil production/exports (and they have the capacity to do it) to replace the lost sources from Libya. That may not stop price-increases in the short run, but should at least keep them from going through the roof. Fortunately, unlike neighboring Bahrain just off the Saudi coast, there is no immediate threat to the Saudi regime itself...so the Saudi oil fields are not threatened.
Old 02-24-11, 06:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ekc
Problem is, the batteries in the Volt and Leaf are lithium-ion batteries. Lithium is a limited natural resource just like crude oil. Depend on them too much and it'll just become another oil problem.
That's a good point. A good part of the world's lithium supply, today, is locked up in the Bolivian Andes. A number of high-tech companies, as would be expected (and companies who produce lithium/ion batteries), are competing for access to those Bolivian mines/exports as we speak.
Old 02-24-11, 06:09 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
haha...Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Tell craig and dede I said wussup

Old 02-24-11, 06:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Tell craig and dede I said wussup

Like R-Truth? He's famous for his "Wuss-Up" lyrics. That's the way he makes his show-entrances on Monday Night Raw and Smackdown.

Old 02-24-11, 06:43 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ekc
Which is why I said that you have to have the capacity to produce them.

That being said, Li-ion batteries are not a done deal once they are "dead". I'm no chemist, but from what I read they are highly recyclable whereas gasoline, well figure out how to recycle that after it has been burnt off. Nevertheless, the question becomes will hydraulic hybrids become a reality?
Old 02-24-11, 06:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
That gasoline, well figure out how to recycle that after it has been burnt off.
For the most part, that's what catalytic converters do....recycle gas/exhaust fumes into water vapor and a small amount of sulfuric acid.

Nevertheless, the question becomes will hydraulic hybrids become a reality?
Hydraulic Hybrids? Explain, please......I'm not familiar with that term.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-24-11 at 06:55 PM.
Old 02-24-11, 07:18 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Like R-Truth? He's famous for his "Wuss-Up" lyrics. That's the way he makes his show-entrances on Monday Night Raw and Smackdown.
arent you alittle old to be watching that? btw, i cant wait to see Cena put the FU on the Miz
Old 02-25-11, 06:15 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah, it's about $3.70 to $3.85/gal for premium and it's about 10 cents or so cheaper for regular gas here in NY.

The WORST was back a couple of summers ago when I saw gas as much as 4.59/gal for premium...where my car only takes premium and I only get 15mpg. Good thing I only drive about 230 miles per week. It still costed me almost $75 bucks a week though! Amazing...$300 a month on gas for car. I really don't want to go through that again.

That's why I am looking into a cheap 4 cyl car as my daily beater; that can take the cheapest gas, less of it and better gas mileage. My GS will just be a weekend garage queen.

I heard something ridiculous, something to the effect that we have like 100 YEARS worth of oil in our OWN country; where we can be 100% independent of foreign oil! The ONLY reason I can think of why this isn't being utilized is that some politicians (gov't) are being heavily GREASED by these foreign oil companies to keep importing oil from them. The whole wildlife protection of the damn carabeau is JUST a scapegoat IMHO. I am SURE we have the technology to extract this oil from the ground without effecting the wildlife in Alaska. It is all crap!
Old 02-25-11, 06:53 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
Amazing...$300 a month on gas for car.
you can lease a Prius for $199 with zero down and cut your gas bill by 2/3

Quick Reply: well, I've finally seen $3.01/gallon REGULAR gas...