Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2012 Aston Martin Virage

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-11, 08:14 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default 2012 Aston Martin Virage

Old 02-22-11, 08:18 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this a Vantage refresh/replacement???

I'm not fully aware of the AM lineage, but I saw a Vanquish S at the Miami Beach Golf Club today, and was still in awe of how beautiful it was. The Vantage replaced the Vanquish correct? And this is the progression? Looks good imo.
Old 02-22-11, 08:20 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

This seems so dumb to me. I really have no clue why this is a new model that sits between the DB9 and DBS yet looks exactly the same on the inside and out. What the hell is the point???? Its no more or less beautiful than the current models. It should just replace the DB9.

Virage and Virage Volante complete the Aston Martin sporting GT line-up sitting between DBS and DB9

The Virage sits between the enduringly elegant DB9 and overtly sporting DBS, providing customers with a car that remains luxurious and understated but delivers increased performance and crucially performance that is always accessible for effortless driving.
Aston Martin's revered hand-built 6.0 litre V12 engine produces 490 bhp (365 kW/497 PS) and 570 nM (420 lb. Ft) of torque and through its carbon fibre prop shaft, is mated to a six-speed Touchtronic II automatic transmission mounted on the transaxle contributing to perfect 50:50 weight balance.

The Virage's dynamics have been tuned to deliver an engaging yet more refined driving experience, where the driver can extract the maximum performance from the car with greater ease. A newly developed Adaptive Damping System (ADS) intelligently 'reads' the road to provide optimum road holding, adapting to different conditions. The system now selects up to five different stiffness settings within normal mode, and a further five stiffer settings within sport mode.

Aiding driver control, a 'Sport' button on the facia allows the driver to select a sharper throttle response and faster gear changes while also holding the gears without automatically shifting up at the revolution limiter.

Virage will be delivered with Carbon Ceramic Matrix (CCM) brakes as standard - bucking the trend in this market - offering progressive and tremendous stopping power. Powerful, resistant to fade and much lighter than conventional cast-iron discs, the CCM braking system means that not only is the overall vehicle weight reduced, but the weight saving at each wheel means that a better balance between ride comfort and handling can be struck. Lower rotational mass also provides improved acceleration.

Virage capitalises on the technology from the DBS and unites it with the comfort and refinement found in the DB9 and Rapide. Aston Martin's own bonded aluminium 'VH' architecture that forms the backbone of the marque's sports cars, takes inspiration from the aerospace industry where weight reduction is the ultimate goal. Strong yet light, the inherent properties of modular aluminium lend themselves perfectly to an extremely rigid and versatile platform which allows the production of a Virage coupe and Volante.

The Virage sits low and wide asserting the power which lies beneath; single bi-xenon headlamps follow the lines of the car's flanks to give a more crisp and modern look from the front. A new aluminium metal front grille, inspired by the One-77, features five horizontal vanes which are chamfered creating an aerofoil profile. The new front bumper is pure and relieves the car of any visual complexities, contributing to the overall simplicity of design. The front wings distinguish the Virage from its stable mates housing a new modern interpretation of the Aston Martin iconic side strake housing six LEDs elegantly forming the side repeater. Virage's side sills carry the simplicity of the front bumper through to the rear diffuser which houses a body-coloured blade accentuating the width of the car.

As drivers and passengers open the signature swan wing doors, they are greeted by the aroma of seven hides of the finest Bridge of Weir leather expertly hand stitched by craftsmen. Inspiration has been taken from luxury leather goods to produce a pinstripe welt which flows down either side of the facia and along the seat and door, drawing your eye through the car. Each Virage will have 70 man hours of expert craftsmanship lavished on the interior alone to create the famous sophisticated Aston Martin interior. In all, over 200 man hours will be spent handcrafting the Virage at Aston Martin's global headquarters in Gaydon, Warwickshire, England as it becomes the tenth major production car to be built there in the space of less than eight years.

Simplicity runs throughout the car with the new fully integrated Satellite Navigation system that has been developed in conjunction with Garmin. The new system simplifies operation through the existing four-way joystick mounted on the facia. A new 6.5 inch high resolution display uses the latest graphics and maps to visually and aurally guide the driver to their destination.

Standard equipment includes heated seats (Sports seats only), cruise control, satellite navigation, Bluetooth telephone preparation and the powerful 700W Aston Martin Premium Audio System with Dolby® Pro Logic II® and full iPod® integration.

The Virage and Virage Volante are on sale now, available from Aston Martin's global dealership network spanning 132 dealerships in 41 countries. Pricing for the new Virage will be confirmed at the Geneva Motor Show where it will be joined by two further new cars; the V8 Vantage S and the new Tailor-Fit Cygnet city car, all of which will be brought to production in the UK by Aston Martin in 2011.
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/02/22/2...nte/#continued
Old 02-22-11, 08:22 PM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Is this a Vantage refresh/replacement???

I'm not fully aware of the AM lineage, but I saw a Vanquish S at the Miami Beach Golf Club today, and was still in awe of how beautiful it was. The Vantage replaced the Vanquish correct? And this is the progression? Looks good imo.
It looks like a refreshed Vantage to me as well. It doesn't make sense that they would make a baby baby AM. It also doesn't look large in the pictures to replace the DB9, but there is nothing to compare it to.

I still love the Vanquish. If I understand correctly, the Vanquish was basically the DB9. It was AM's large 2+2 and the DBS replaced the Vanquish S. It was not an exact replacement since the Vanquish and DB9 ran side by side, but the Vanquish was much bigger than the Vantage, closer in size to the DB9, if not larger.
Old 02-22-11, 08:39 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mbenz528i
It looks like a refreshed Vantage to me as well. It doesn't make sense that they would make a baby baby AM. It also doesn't look large in the pictures to replace the DB9, but there is nothing to compare it to.

I still love the Vanquish. If I understand correctly, the Vanquish was basically the DB9. It was AM's large 2+2 and the DBS replaced the Vanquish S. It was not an exact replacement since the Vanquish and DB9 ran side by side, but the Vanquish was much bigger than the Vantage, closer in size to the DB9, if not larger.
Thanks man.

I really don't see the difference in size between the different AM's. Like I mentioned, I'm down in South Beach and have seen a ridiculous amount of high end cars, including Vantage's, DB9's, DBS's and the aforementioned Vanquish S (which was from Canada ironically...lol). Each of them looks pretty similar in terms of pure exterior sizing to me. Maybe the DB's are slightly longer and have a slightly wider stance....but it isn't dramatic, imo.
Old 02-22-11, 08:48 PM
YEH
Pole Position

While I really like the look of Astons, they really need to differentiate btwn the models a bit more.
Old 02-22-11, 08:53 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Looks nice but based on the exterior, I'd have guessed that it slotted below the Vantage. Looks a little more downscale for some reason.

Last edited by MPLexus301; 02-22-11 at 09:00 PM.
Old 02-22-11, 08:56 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

New model my @$$.

Still looks pretty good though.
Old 02-22-11, 09:18 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

same sh--. different name.
Old 02-22-11, 09:21 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Still looks absolutely beautiful to me. To think that the DB9 came out in 2004. I love using these cars as my desktop pictures.
Old 02-22-11, 09:24 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

I'd still hit it regardless
Old 02-22-11, 09:32 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

The recent Aston lineup has been slightly confusing, especially with the names.

The Aston Martin DB7, basically a heavily modified Jaguar XJS, ran from 1994-2003. It was their "entry level" car at the time, slotted beneath the Virage, which debuted in 1989 but was built up to 2000 in small numbers.

In 2001 the Vanquish came about and that ran until 2007, and was Aston's flagship vehicle.

The DB9 debuted in 2004 and is still in production today.

The V8 Vantage debuted in 2005 and is the current entry-level AM.

The Vanquish was replaced by the DBS in 2007 --and now the DBS is AM's flagship.

So the return of the Virage in between the DB9 and the DBS I believe may point to a discontinuation of the DB9 in the near future, as Aston's previous models have had overlapping years before they were phased out of production.
Old 02-22-11, 10:10 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Sexy but redundant lol
Old 02-22-11, 10:26 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Some engineers and designers in AM got lazy.

The One-77, DBS, Rapide, and Vantage are all perfect. The DB9 is getting old, and the Virage should have replaced it immediately (and should have been styled with a more dramatic evolution in design). The Cygnet will surely cause trouble, good and bad.

You know what Aston is missing? A hardtop convertible GT, just like the Ferrari California. Make that (and make it beautiful), and Aston will surely progress.
Old 02-23-11, 05:34 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

It's a freakin' Vantage V12 with the N420 package

Still....
Name:  Drool.png
Views: 429
Size:  22.8 KB

Quick Reply: 2012 Aston Martin Virage