Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Kia K9 sedan spied, upscale cues include Maserati-style side vents

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-11, 02:41 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy

The Maserati-style fender ports are visible even with the camo, as is the general style of the grille. We can also see the general style of the headlights.
I have a better idea. How about we wait until the car is unveiled before calling it a copy cat? If it turns out to be one (more so than not), then so be it. The only thing that matches the 5-series so far is the camo cutouts. 90% of the front is is masked off . Where the 5-series's headlights are curved, this one seems to be a bit more sharp. No one knows until the the cover is pulled off so let's wait until it's shown before throwing dirt on it. Once it is, then you can crap on it all you want.
Old 02-28-11, 02:49 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by speedflex
Well, Car Lounge is where all makes are discussed, right? I don't think anything is above criticism, that includes your favorite brands (I for one will not hold back from stepping hard to even my own favorite car makers if I feel they deserve criticism, for example, I really like Infiniti but they just plain flubbed it with the new M and I make no excuses for them). But some do take cheap shots, as mentioned above.
I have no problem criticizing Toyota and Lexus myself when it is warranted.
Old 02-28-11, 02:56 PM
LexFather

Yes b/c this already looks better than the Avalon and its masked up

Old 02-28-11, 03:05 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I have no problem criticizing Toyota and Lexus myself when it is warranted.
Of course you don't have problems with that, but you do go into major defense mode when someone else criticizes a Toyota/Lexus vehicle that's covered up even when it's their opinion. I rarely get excited/disappointed by a car that's covered up because it could end up being the polar opposite, whether it is better or worse.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Yes b/c this already looks better than the Avalon and its masked up
I happen to like the Avalon a lot! It may be bland, but my grandmother says it's the best looking car ever
Old 02-28-11, 04:36 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

not impressed if it's derivative.

peter shreyer now works for them. they should not be copying stuff from other makers.
Old 02-28-11, 05:15 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dunnojack
not impressed if it's derivative.

peter shreyer now works for them. they should not be copying stuff from other makers.
He works for them yes, but he does not have final say on designs. Peter Shreyer still takes orders from the Korean executives that run the company when it comes to design.
Old 03-02-11, 05:53 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by meowCat
Korean car manufacturers are highly skilled in copying. The front grille does look like a 100% copy of a Maserati. Maserati is popular import car in Korea so they get to copy it. Infiniti is insanely popular in Korea so they copy that too. LMAO

I quote, "I have a better idea. How about we wait until the car is unveiled before calling it a copy cat?" - GSteg

Just out of curiosity, where did you hear the claims of the imports? As I recall, the most popular imports are Benz, BMW, VW, and Audi.

http://joongangdaily.joins.com/artic...sp?aid=2931940

Bottom line? Korean cars in general = F A I L
They seem to be full of "win" recently.

"Best Automotive Company: Hyundai
According to BrandKeys, no car company inspires more customer loyalty than Hyundai. The company ranks fifth overall for its ability to delight custo*mers, and it’s not hard to see why: Hyundai’s cars are consistently afford*able and come with an incredible 10-year/100,000 mile warranty. And the company has not really been set back by recalls in recent years."

metro article: http://www.metro.us/newyork/national...-love-the-most

"It's no secret that Hyundai has been enjoying a healthy dose of praise lately, especially with fresh new products like the Genesis, Tucson and Sonata garnering a lot of media attention. But it isn't just the press that thinks Hyundai is on a roll – Kelley Blue Book now reports that the automaker now holds the Number One spot in brand loyalty, with 56.3 percent of Hyundai owners looking within the brand for new car purchases. Honda continues to hold the second place rank at 55.8 percent, and Toyota, in light of its recent recall woes, is down 4.4 percentage points to 53.3 percent, putting it in the third place spot."

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/15/s...honda-takes-1/

Kia needs to tone down, don't go crazy with the design.

Oh and did I mention? K9 sounds very gay.

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA
Need to tone down?

before

After

Last edited by tofu_house; 03-02-11 at 05:57 PM.