Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Dealing with people who slam their door into your car in parking lot

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-11, 03:56 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dealing with people who slam their door into your car in parking lot-glock.jpg

Just kidding... ... but I do make them "aware" of what they did if they show no remorse.... if they apologize, over right then and there
Old 03-01-11, 07:34 AM
ken386
Driver School Candidate

hate that crap!!! how about when you park further in the parking lot where theres nobody around.. you walk out of the store and theres a friging car parked right next to yours.. WTH is all you can say !!!
Old 03-01-11, 04:17 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Probably not for the smallest scratches/dings, but, yes, they usually would for the more noticeable ones.
Agreed, especially since most premium car owners have deductibles in the $500 to $1000 range. The owners of the (damaged) cars will usually choose not to involve their insurance company.
Old 03-01-11, 04:46 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

I think the situation gets really interesting when your actually in the vehicle and someone hits your car while opening their door. If the person decides to be ignorant and deny they hit your car then pictures may not be enough. If I was in that situation then I'd hope there was some sort of paint transfer to prove to the person and the cops that the other person dinged my car.

In one of the buildings that I work in, the parking spaces are incredibly tight and people tend to overlap into the spot next to them. I and a few others over there that actually care about their vehicles park in the back of the lot. It's a bit of a walk but I rather do it. Not that I need the walk or anything but it's to prevent another dent that someone already left for me in the past
Old 03-01-11, 05:58 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hblexus07
It is a inexpensive repair but a valuable lesson for stupid people.

Valve stem removers can be purchased at auto parts bicycle shops and many other locations.

why not just slash them and make them buy new tires.....

hammer and nail to the sidewall
Old 03-01-11, 06:11 PM
RalAegidius
Lead Lap

You guys who retaliate by damaging the other person's car -- you know that's some seriously passive-aggressive stuff, right?

I can't condone damaging someone's car. But honestly I don't get too bent out of shape over a door bonk unless it leaves an actual dent. My car has enough dings, chips and scratches on it that one more isn't going to matter.
Old 03-01-11, 07:32 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RalAegidius
You guys who retaliate by damaging the other person's car -- you know that's some seriously passive-aggressive stuff, right?

I can't condone damaging someone's car. But honestly I don't get too bent out of shape over a door bonk unless it leaves an actual dent. My car has enough dings, chips and scratches on it that one more isn't going to matter.

so says the dude with a 19 year old car.
if my car were that old, i wouldn't care either.
Old 03-01-11, 09:17 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

This is what a police officer will tell you:

If you are there when it happens, take pics of the person, his/her vehicle, license plate, and both cars side by side. You have to act and think fast. If the person denies or refuses to give info or payment, call non-emergency police number and report it as a hit and run, which it technically is. Once, if ever the police do show up, you can file the report but actually have something to work with thanks to the photos you took. If the police do not show up, go to the local department and file a report. Again, with the photos, you have evidence (license plate #). A hit and run is still a hit and run.
Old 03-01-11, 10:56 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7

If you are there when it happens, take pics of the person, his/her vehicle, license plate, and both cars side by side. You have to act and think fast. If the person denies or refuses to give info or payment, call non-emergency police number and report it as a hit and run, which it technically is. Once, if ever the police do show up, you can file the report but actually have something to work with thanks to the photos you took. If the police do not show up, go to the local department and file a report. Again, with the photos, you have evidence (license plate #). A hit and run is still a hit and run.
I like this idea!
Old 03-02-11, 07:19 AM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Nothing much you can do, NYPD are too lazy to write a report out of this crap.

NYPD will tell you: What do you want me to do, arrest the man who tipped your car by their door when space are tight & not enough to get out??? It's normal wear & tear for parking on street, parking lot. My RSX have 2~3 ding on each side from my parking lot......I notice it happen after those beat-up car parked next to me......ex. fat/old lady with their 15 yrs old car
Old 03-02-11, 07:53 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dunnojack
so says the dude with a 19 year old car.
if my car were that old, i wouldn't care either.
I thought the same thing as well. My car is 16 years old and it's just not an issue anymore. If I was making $400+ payments a month, I might have a little anger and strike back though.
Old 03-02-11, 08:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7

I'm not sure I like the idea of getting police involved....and having names/addresses on file. Once the cops are gone or are out of the picture, that just invites retaliation by the other party if they know where you live.......especially if the car is parked outside. Instead of a small ding, you could end up with smashed windows or slashed tires.
Old 03-02-11, 11:08 AM
sethjon
Driver

Originally Posted by JessePS
Hasn't happened yet, if it does and they don't say ****. I'll just slash their tires when they aren't looking.
A great idea. The "key" method works too.
Old 03-02-11, 12:11 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

What you do is file a claim with your insurer. They in turn will pursue collections against the other party on your behalf.

If they refuse to pay it goes to subrogation. With your photos you will receive a favorable judgement.
Old 03-02-11, 12:16 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RalAegidius

This is the internet, lots of talk, little else. Yes and just say NO.

Quick Reply: Dealing with people who slam their door into your car in parking lot