Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Auto stop-start

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-11, 05:58 AM
DrDrilZ
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto stop-start

had this feature in my panamera loaner the other day. basically, when the car comes to a stop, the engine shuts off. then it restarts when you take your foot off the brake. supposedly its to save fuel. but doesnt that add a lot more wear and tear on the engine? i always thought engines were subjected to the most wear during a start up. i see that this feature is pretty much gonna be standard on a lot of cars.
Old 03-02-11, 06:02 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

And did it feel like a normal car? Did it start back up quick enough? Just curious. If you think about stop and go traffic this feature could indeed save quite a bit of fuel if equipped across the board.
Old 03-02-11, 06:15 AM
DrDrilZ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
And did it feel like a normal car? Did it start back up quick enough? Just curious. If you think about stop and go traffic this feature could indeed save quite a bit of fuel if equipped across the board.
honestly it was a little annoying. i turned the feature off. there was a little bit of delay but not bad enough in normal driving. i wouldnt recommend it on a drag strip. i am curious about wear on starter motor, battery, etc. also, how does the engine off affect things like engine cooling, a/c, and other stuff that usually requires the engine to be running to operate?
Old 03-02-11, 06:30 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Once the engine is warm, a brief shutdown probably won't hurt anything because all moving parts should be bathed in oil. I'm sure it's annoying, particularly in city traffic where you come to a full stop at least every few blocks. As far as fuel economy goes, my guess is that it was designed to perform well on government mileage tests, no matter how it works out in the real world. Anyone remember the old GM 350 V-8 that in Cadillacs was blessed with that 8-6-4 cylinder cutout? Most owners claimed it worked for about a week after purchase, some never at all. There was a nice cottage business for mechanics in disabling and removing the requisite hardware.
Old 03-02-11, 07:50 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
Once the engine is warm, a brief shutdown probably won't hurt anything because all moving parts should be bathed in oil. I'm sure it's annoying, particularly in city traffic where you come to a full stop at least every few blocks. As far as fuel economy goes, my guess is that it was designed to perform well on government mileage tests, no matter how it works out in the real world. Anyone remember the old GM 350 V-8 that in Cadillacs was blessed with that 8-6-4 cylinder cutout? Most owners claimed it worked for about a week after purchase, some never at all. There was a nice cottage business for mechanics in disabling and removing the requisite hardware.
and it is also designed to work on 30% of your stops, not always (when conditions are met such as state of the battery, engine/oil temp, current draw, a/c on/off, etc).

it really is mostly for the european tests, which favor it... IF cars had bigger batteries like in mild hybrids and as such, A/C would be blowing even during the stop, it would become a lot more useful.
Old 03-02-11, 07:52 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

How does this system works in the panamera?

On a regular car, starting puts wear on the starter motor. Hybrids are able to do instant start stop with the electric motor. Is the panamera a (mild) hybrid?
Old 03-02-11, 08:00 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
How does this system works in the panamera?

On a regular car, starting puts wear on the starter motor. Hybrids are able to do instant start stop with the electric motor. Is the panamera a (mild) hybrid?
no, lots of cars in europe have start/stop feature only.

it has bigger starter, built into the engine for faster startup, and slightly bigger battery to handle increased draw demands.

but as i said, it does not work always, and when it does, your A/C will not work when the car is off for instance, which is really silly for car like Panamera where you paid 100k in order for your A/C not to work.

For instance, Toyota system will not shut down the car if your A/C is running, but then that got reviewers to say that it doesnt work well
Old 03-02-11, 11:12 AM
LunaVyohr
Lead Lap

In a car like the Panamera, what's the point? If you have the money to pay for such a car, I doubt you're too worried about saving a few dollars on gas. Besides, it's not like you were getting great gas mileage to begin with in that car.

On an unrelated note to gas mileage, the Panamera has got to be one of the ugliest cars around.
Old 03-02-11, 12:18 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

The 2011.5 BMW M3 has this auto stop-start feature too. Luckily there is an off button.
Old 03-02-11, 12:19 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

These are going to become standard on a lot of cars in the future. Mercedes is also adding them to new models. The 2012 C class refresh will have this feature.
Old 03-02-11, 12:20 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i thought you would have to idle a car for at least 3 mins to be equivalent to starting the car once. If this is true, i don't really see how this start/stop feature is really saving any gas
Old 03-02-11, 12:31 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

^^ I dont think that is true, common misconception. If restarting an engine uses more fuel than idling, then hybrids wouldn't keep turning the engine on and off.
Old 03-02-11, 01:24 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
The 2011.5 BMW M3 has this auto stop-start feature too. Luckily there is an off button.
Yes, my M3 has this option. But the default setting is off. I haven't actually tried this feature yet.
Old 03-02-11, 03:52 PM
Marzabella
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

You can turn it off in the panamera too, also it won't do it if there is too much draw from the a/c, cooling, low batt, high/low eng temp etc. I really don't think these systems are designed to keep consumers happy, it's all about official consumption figures. Why else would you have the option to turn it off?
Old 03-02-11, 06:46 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Just mild hybrid it then.

Quick Reply: Auto stop-start