Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Did Mitsu can the EVO?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-11, 07:59 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

This article is highly dubious..NOT TRUE
Old 03-02-11, 09:08 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

I don't see the point to this company anymore. They dropped the 3000GT, and let the once awesome Eclipse slowly lose it's roots. The EVO is the only thing they have going for them IMO. The rest of their cars??? Galant...Endeavor...Outlander... who buys these??? Few have even heard of them. I'm surprised they haven't gone the way of Isuzu (even Suzuki). It's all fun and good to be on the fuel economy band wagon but come on, where's the sport and fun factor??? Clearly no one's buying your product because anything you can do EVERYONE else can do the same and better!!
Old 03-03-11, 02:41 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

I wouldnt bet too much on this being 100% true... Autocar is known for their bull.

If anything, their huge success RSX(Outlander Sport) has been based on EVO design.
Old 03-03-11, 07:03 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mitsu should've known that if ever they kil the Lan evo, then they kill the most significant vehicle in their entire lineup.

Still, I'm hoping that the article is BS.
Old 03-03-11, 09:16 AM
Dexterr
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^ I hope the article is BS as well. Cause if they can't see the beauty on these EVOs...something is wrong with them.

Old 03-03-11, 09:24 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I don't see the point to this company anymore. They dropped the 3000GT, and let the once awesome Eclipse slowly lose it's roots. The EVO is the only thing they have going for them IMO. The rest of their cars??? Galant...Endeavor...Outlander... who buys these??? Few have even heard of them. I'm surprised they haven't gone the way of Isuzu (even Suzuki). It's all fun and good to be on the fuel economy band wagon but come on, where's the sport and fun factor??? Clearly no one's buying your product because anything you can do EVERYONE else can do the same and better!!
Mitsubishi will finance people that no one else will.
Old 03-03-11, 09:39 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
totally agree with you there

I can only think of EVO and eclipse when I hear mitsubishi (along with the 3000GT and their big screen TVs)

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
Mitsubishi will finance people that no one else will.
And nissan with " Your job is your credit"
Old 03-03-11, 12:41 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Jalopnik contacted Mitsubishi to try to verify / get clarification on Gayu Eusegi's statement.

http://jalopnik.com/#!5774829/mitsub...ead-after-2013

We reached out to a Mitsubishi spokesman who would only say "The current Evo is planned through 2012-2013, but we're not talking about our plans after that."
Certainly sounds like the Evo as we know it is doomed.

To be honest, I'm not that surprised. We've talked before on these forums how Mitsubishi is completely ruining their performance-oriented lineup. In fact, it was just six months ago when we were talking about the Eclipse marque being driven into the ground that I wrote that I feared the Evo marque might soon be recklessly destroyed as well.

I'm as mad as anyone at Mitsubishi for selling out. At the same time, I can't blame them that much either because they're just responding to the market. My big fear right now is that, unfortunately, young people just aren't interested in cars anymore, and because of that, affordable performance cars are sparse.

Who knows why there's a lack of interest these days - the success of the progressive liberal environmentalist movement in making performance cars uncool, increased safety regulations and focus on safety that have bloated up cars and made them less interesting, or more generally the advent of many technologies and resulting gadgets that are attractive to young buyers and take disposable income away from car purchases. This is not just true in the US... in fact, it might actually be a worse problem in Japan and may be one reason that Japanese automakers are focusing so much on hybrids: Domestically in Japan, people (and especially young people) just don't care that much about performance anymore. (Of course one reason for this is high gas prices - about double the price of gas in the US, as I observed when I was recently in Japan to take my tour at LFA Works in Toyota City.) There's a reason why the Prius is the best-selling car in Japan - people there want "Eco", not performance.

Toyota and other manufacturers certainly share some of the blame, too. Toyota bastardized the MR2 then killed it, mainstreamed and then killed the Celica too, and as of late has been creating little but humdrum cars. Mazda and Honda have also canned their affordable performance cars (and well, the not-so-affordable ones too). The lack of affordable performance-oriented vehicles over the past several years is also a huge problem because it reduces the used inventory of fun-to-drive cars, further hindering affordability and accessibility for young people. What enthusiast vehicle can a 16-year-old actually beg mom and dad to buy these days?

Quite simply, it's a downward spiral. If more and more manufacturers stop making affordable performance-oriented vehicles, drivers will become less interested in them and will become less likely to buy them, and then even more manufacturers like Mitsubishi will throw their hands into the air and kill off more affordable performance-oriented vehicles.

I think the downfall of the Eclipse and now possibly the Evo, and of Mitsubishi performance in general is a reflection of the sad state of performance vehicles in the world today. I think vehicle manufacturers, especially those like Toyota that want to remain committed to affordable fun-to-drive performance-oriented cars, need to think a lot about how they want to move forward in effectively marketing these to a new generation of young drivers.

Last edited by gengar; 03-03-11 at 01:07 PM.
Old 03-03-11, 04:32 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

well, with IS-F and upcoming FT-86, not sure it is all downward from Toyota.

But i understand why did Toyota "kill" Celica and MR-2 (lack of engineers, too many other projects that sell in volume), but Mitsu has a lot smaller volumes and without EVO, who the heck would buy Mitsu?
Old 03-03-11, 07:24 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i just talked to a friend who is a real EVO enthusiasts. He confirms that this story is true.
Old 03-03-11, 08:52 PM
Hoovey689

Default Followup: Mitsubishi unconvincingly addresses Evo death rumors via Facebook *UPDATE

Followup: Mitsubishi unconvincingly addresses Evo death rumors via Facebook *UPDATE

Will the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X be the last Evo ever built? Rumors to that extent were flying fast and furious across the Internet yesterday. Mitsubishi has decided to address these claims by way of a post on its Facebook page:

Further to some comments published in the press recently, production of the current Lancer Evolution continues as planned. As for its successor, regulations and market feedback will dictate its engineering package & architecture. Stay tuned.

So relax Evo fans, this answer should make you feel... well, actually, stay worried – the above statement really doesn't answer anything about the model's future.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/03/03/f...eath-rumors-v/
Old 03-03-11, 10:38 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I hope its not true, its the only Mitsubishi i'd ever by. Last time i drove by a Mitsubishi dealership all i saw was a sea of Lancers/EVO's. You wouldn't even know sold anything else lol
Old 03-04-11, 01:55 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
I hope its not true, its the only Mitsubishi i'd ever by. Last time i drove by a Mitsubishi dealership all i saw was a sea of Lancers/EVO's. You wouldn't even know sold anything else lol
Well it's a bad thing, because that just shows they're not selling. There's a reason even Evo enthusiasts, like myself, refer to dealerships as the "Mitsubishi Museum" - because it's where you can check out all the rare Evos that you never see on the streets.
Old 03-04-11, 03:22 PM
Hoovey689

Default Cause to keep Mitsubishi Evo alive and pure pops up on the web

Cause to keep Mitsubishi Evo alive and pure pops up on the web

Speculation surrounding the Mitsubishi Evolution has reached a fever pitch over the last few days. Has the Lancer Evolution reached the end of the line? Is Mitsubishi going to produce a new version that utilizes a hybrid powertrain? We don't have an answer, but we do know that fans of the Evo are scared. The object of their affection has potentially met its demise. In an effort to show how much the car would be missed, a group of Evo-lovers have banded together to show support for the car they so-admire.

The title reads "Mitsubishi, Keep the Evo Alive" and it's for an online petition to show the tri-diamond automaker how much its sports sedan will be missed. If you want to join in and show support, head over to the site and join the cause. If you prefer the dirt-drift action of a Subaru, then lean back in your chair, don't click anything and cackle wildly.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/03/04/c...p-on-facebook/
Old 03-04-11, 06:13 PM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nooooo!!!!! This is just sad. :cry