Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Did Mitsu can the EVO?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-11, 02:53 PM
LexFather

Default Did Mitsu can the EVO?

A lil busy maybe someone can google? Someone told me the EVO is canned and they won't build it anymore.

I hope this isn't true! Can someone investigate?

Old 03-02-11, 02:59 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/03/02/r...chise-is-dead/
Old 03-02-11, 03:16 PM
LunaVyohr
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow. They killed the one good car that they had left.
Old 03-02-11, 03:19 PM
Agent0024
Pole Position

Lame, all these years the Evo was the only Mitsubishi car that I would ever consider owning.
Old 03-02-11, 03:28 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OK i can revert to my old post.

This is not true. They are dropping number on Evo badges or maybe the name itself.
New four door S-AWC concept is coming.

Last edited by Vladi; 03-03-11 at 08:52 AM.
Old 03-02-11, 03:32 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Outside of the Evo, Mitsubishi doesn't really have much to offer. I miss the old Eclipse where build quality was more important. But its new "i" might be taking the brand in a new direction, but not enough to bring that much awareness to the brand.
Old 03-02-11, 03:36 PM
dsnowgs4
Pole Position

Wow that suxs

I recently test drove an Evo X and was amazed at the out of the box performance. Interior was still sub par vs Subaru, Honda, or Toyota.

I just kept thinking if I was rich i would pay $30k for one of these things and run it at the track. Not a 911... Cheap and fun as heck....

Too bad.. now we are stuck with the STI. I wonder if they will eventually bring it back in a few years.

Thats if the company is solvent...
Old 03-02-11, 03:46 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

wow.. RIP evo.. honestly, i hardly see any of the older evo 8s on the road..
Old 03-02-11, 03:55 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

i should snag a new one with whatever their double-clutch system is called......
Old 03-02-11, 04:59 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

The only thing mitsu has going for it is the outlander now.
Old 03-02-11, 05:24 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

If this is true, I predict Mitsubishi will be out of the US market in less then 5 years, first no turbo/awd eclipse and now this, just dumb..
Old 03-02-11, 05:47 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

What the hell? All these Mitsubishi officials should be fired.
Old 03-02-11, 06:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
Outside of the Evo, Mitsubishi doesn't really have much to offer.
The new Outlander is (supposedly) an improvement over the clearly unimpressive last-generaton model (and Mitsubshi s putting a lot of hype into its ads), but I can't comment any more on that until I see and revew it. I didn't see one at the recent D.C. Auto Show....in fact, I don't remember Mitsubishi displaying anything at the show.

I miss the old Eclipse where build quality was more important.
The Eclipse's build quality, regardless of generaton, was never very important.....that was also the case, of course, with the Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and the other Mitsubishi/Chrysler vehicles built in the notoriously poor Diamond-Star plant at Normal, IL. Many of them were plagued with poorly-done paint jobs, squeaks/rattles, and a lot of loosely-attached parts.

I looked at one brand-new Eclipse, in the showroom, in 1995, I remember, where its lime-green paint job looked (and felt) like they had actually sprayed the paint and primer over lumps of dirt on the sheet metal.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-02-11 at 06:14 PM.
Old 03-02-11, 06:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2002GGPIS3
If this is true, I predict Mitsubishi will be out of the US market in less then 5 years, first no turbo/awd eclipse and now this, just dumb..
Mike (1SICKLEX) and I discussed this topic a few years ago. We both agreed that Mitsubishi's future in the U.S. was questionable......especially after the demise of the popular 2Gen Turbo and AWD Eclipses. The Evo, of course, was only a partial replacement for the turbo Eclipse....and the Evo, of course, had strong competition from the AWD Subaru STi, and less-intense competition from other pocket-rockets like the FWD VW R32 and Ford SVT Focus. I felt, though, that Isuzu would leave the American market before Mitsubishi did, and, of course, that happened. Suzuki, we both felt, was another questionable company, especially considering its very limited non-motorcycle dealer network in the U.S., but, surprisingly, they have managed to hang on until now. I think Suzuki might have folded its car-operations by now if the new Kizashi had not gotten such good reviews in the auto press (I gave it some pretty decent marks in my own review of it). Still, the Kizashi, like other Amercan-market Suzukis, just doesn't seem to be selling much (the spare dealer-network obviously doesn't help), and it looks like they might fold here in America before Mitsubishi does.

But, to address your issue here, it may sound like I'm wimping and taking the easy way out (but this is my honest opinion).......I'd give Mitsubishi about a 50/50 chance of being here in 5 years, and a little less than that, maybe, for Suzuki's auto-operations (their popular motorcycles, of course, will remain).
Old 03-02-11, 06:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
A lil busy maybe someone can google? Someone told me the EVO is canned and they won't build it anymore.

I hope this isn't true! Can someone investigate?
Autocar suggests that there may be a hybrid Evo coming, which would compete with a diesel Subaru STi, but it does not look to me like a particularly credible article.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/06/11/a...-mitsubishi-e/

Quick Reply: Did Mitsu can the EVO?