Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Will Volt kill GM???
Yes- betting the house yields epic fail, people are still smart
28.00%
No- doesn't matter, Obama Motors runs "smoothly"
72.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Prediction- will Volt wil KILL GM??

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-11, 04:21 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Would be nice if it did, I don't know why GM even exists.
Old 03-05-11, 04:58 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I agree.

This single model won't make or break GM. If it suceeds, it will help GM's image. If not it will be another footnote in automotive history.
Agreed. No single car can cripple an automaker, even a car more costly to develop than just about any car in history. Every company produces flops from time to time. Yes, if the Volt flops though, it will be one of the biggest ever.

Originally Posted by Och
Would be nice if it did, I don't know why GM even exists.
I believe they exist because they sell more cars than any other company outside of Toyota. Good enough for me. Point taken though. Remember though that they'd still be here even without the bailout. They would've simply reorganized properly through bankruptcy.
Old 03-05-11, 05:37 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

well obviously GM is doing something right... like purchase of Daewoo and renaming it to Chevy... thats major source of their growth.
Old 03-05-11, 06:21 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

won't kill it.

but it certainly won't help it anytime soon.

it will just go the way of the HS250h. out of sight, out of mind. forgotten.

fact: The volt is one ugly overpriced car.
Old 03-05-11, 07:09 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

If anything the technology developed for the Volt is a precursor to future vehicles. I am sure that a Voltec Equinox is on the way.
Old 03-06-11, 07:58 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

epic failure, as predicted.
Old 03-06-11, 12:40 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm thinking yes. But then again, except for the H2, SUVs, muscle cars or anything with a V8 in it, GM has always been epic fail.

The Volt is just as disappointing as Honda's "hybrids".
Old 03-06-11, 12:54 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
If anything the technology developed for the Volt is a precursor to future vehicles. I am sure that a Voltec Equinox is on the way.
i doubt it... it would be like $70k.
Old 03-06-11, 02:51 PM
TOPSECRTIS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gengar
Has GM made any comments on actual targeted sales figures for 2011?

Of course, getting a bad review from Consumer Reports probably doesn't help.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/m...view/index.htm
I was way off about the Volt. That link has some good info in it. Thanks!
Old 03-06-11, 03:18 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I see the volt having a better chance of surviving than the leaf. People are not ready for an all electric car. At least the Volt gives you the option to be a hybrid.

Fully electric cars are not feasible for the average family. No one wants to leave the house having to constantly think about whether or not they will have enough range to get back. The only people who will buy this car are hardcore greenies, and as someone said earlier, everyone knows where our electricity comes from.

Utilities need to step it up at the same time electric cars are rolled out. Currently, this is a one armed approached, especially on the east coast, where power comes predominantly from coal burning plants. At least on the east coast, we are more alternative energy friendly.
Old 03-06-11, 04:18 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RXSF
I see the volt having a better chance of surviving than the leaf. People are not ready for an all electric car. At least the Volt gives you the option to be a hybrid.

Fully electric cars are not feasible for the average family. No one wants to leave the house having to constantly think about whether or not they will have enough range to get back. The only people who will buy this car are hardcore greenies, and as someone said earlier, everyone knows where our electricity comes from.

Utilities need to step it up at the same time electric cars are rolled out. Currently, this is a one armed approached, especially on the east coast, where power comes predominantly from coal burning plants. At least on the east coast, we are more alternative energy friendly.
I agree that the Leaf is the bigger potential failure. Also too expensive but handicapped by an 80-100 mile range and also carries the honor of being the ugliest car sold in America. At least the Volt has no limit and is great looking IMO. As far as most are concerned, the Volt's only major drawback is its price, which of course is one of a car's biggest buying factors. I think we need to wait and see this first generation play out. Perhaps we'll actually see this generation come down in price after two years especially if sales are lagging well below supply or more desirably, because economies of scale bring down the cost of the Volt's battery.

Just as producing a Prius has come down significantly since its inception, so won't the Volt's. It has to, otherwise there's no question that the Volt won't see a 2nd generation.
Let's not forget that the Prius and Toyota got criticized by the press, other automakers, and much of the public for a long time because everyone was saying much of the same - that it was a bad business decision. The major difference was is that Toyota took a much greater loss during the first several years than GM is set to lose. From what I've read, the Volt costs GM roughly a couple grand more to produce than the $41K price. I've heard the first generation Prius cost Toyota about $100K a pop to build while selling it for about $25K. Not sure if that counts R&D. With Toyota's massive war chest of cash, it was a reasonable investment for the future. Needless to say, it kind of paid off.

In GM's case, they could never sell the Volt at such of an extreme loss for two main reasons. They don't have any money and the public wouldn't stand for it after bailing them out.
Old 03-06-11, 04:19 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
i doubt it... it would be like $70k.
Case in point the Prius. There have been some expensive hybrids from Toyota and some cheap ones. Now the technology has been paid for and it evolving and covering the spectrum. I'm hoping that we will see the Yaris hybrid in the States, which will presumably be cheaper than the affordable Prius.

Originally Posted by RXSF
Bingo. I was thinking today that what if there were a power outtage. Years ago Hurrican Flloyd left us without power for a week. So basically with an EV you don't have a car for that amount of time. I'd fear that I wouldn't want the car to wait to charge during the night. I'd want it to charge during as soon as I plugged it in just to know that it was charged and ready.

Gotta start somewhere.