Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Gas Treatment on a NEW Car

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-11, 05:44 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Clogging that is there (supposedly and in theory per the sales pitch) means nothing to the measurable performance/economy of the car during my lifetime, not a concern for those of us using exclusively correct grade of Chervon. My exhaust system has stuff there too, but I'm not paying to have the inside of it cleaned out.
My car has always ran Chevron 91 octane since it rolled off the dealer's lot. I pulled my injectors out at 140k miles and bench test them to find out they were slightly clogged. I set the fuel pressure to 51 psi for the cleaning process and after running the cleaner through the injectors, the pressure dropped to 48 psi. That's 3psi of loss pressure due to clogging, which translated to an increase of 2-3 mpg on the highway for me. Having a thin film of byproduct in the exhaust pipe won't do anything because the exhaust pipe is much larger. On the other hand, the injector's spray tip is very small. Over a lifetime, most drivers will not notice anything because the changes are so gradual.

But of course, I know the "feel good" factor about this type of stuff has merit from a marketing standpoint, and certainly boosts supplier profits.
If these things are considered 'feel good' items, then so are synthetic motor oil because they do nothing to the measurable performance/fuel economy It's only a 'fuel good' factor if you are buying random cleaners and expecting them to be effective. Not all cleaners are the same.
Old 03-10-11, 05:50 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GSteg
My car has always ran Chevron 91 octane since it rolled off the dealer's lot. I pulled my injectors out at 140k miles and bench test them to find out they were slightly clogged. I set the fuel pressure to 51 psi for the cleaning process and after running the cleaner through the injectors, the pressure dropped to 48 psi. That's 3psi of loss pressure due to clogging, which translated to an increase of 2-3 mpg on the highway for me. Having a thin film of byproduct in the exhaust pipe won't do anything because the exhaust pipe is much larger. On the other hand, the injector's spray tip is very small. Over a lifetime, most drivers will not notice anything because the changes are so gradual.

Sounds valid to me, or specifically an accurate report on 1 isolated case of 1 specific car. By all means that car needs more regular use of approved cleaner, and in that case it goes beyond "feeling good", agreed. And probably a good suggestion for the few that keep cars for more than the average number of years, thanks.

Keep in mind my original post which mentions "lifetime", my ownership experiences don't involve keeping cars for over 10 years and for over 100K miles, so not applicable.

Last edited by IS-SV; 03-10-11 at 06:04 PM. Reason: sp
Old 03-10-11, 06:02 PM
GSteg
Rookie

The problem is most people think injectors either work or they don't (fully clogged). There is a difference between fully clogged and not running at optimal performance and most cars follow the latter. I've tested enough injectors to know 'quality' gas only helps reduce the amount of buildup, but it will not eliminate it because nothing is ever 100% clean in an internal combustion chamber. Over time, you WILL have buildups.
Old 03-10-11, 06:06 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

^^ Good clarification, all part of the automotive (engine) aging process.
Old 03-10-11, 06:50 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I sometimes use marvel mystery oil in a tank of gas since the fuel injectors on my es300, and most of these 3.0 toyota/lexus v6's are so loud, and there is a difference in the noise level. Gas mileage also does slightly increase, but then again it's not a new car.
Old 03-12-11, 11:15 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,396 Likes on 1,570 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
The better cleaners out there contains a hefty amount of PEA which is effective for cleaning. Redline SI-1, Gumout Regane, older Chevron Techron, etc are some of the cleaners that work well.
where is the evidence for this? for example, actual tests comparing engines driven with and without cleaners?
Old 03-14-11, 11:47 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,396 Likes on 1,570 Posts

crickets.
Old 03-14-11, 03:42 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know if it works or not but I use a bottle of gumout regane once a year in each car as psychological reassurance. Seems to be working well on my psyche.
Old 03-14-11, 03:52 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

"gumout regane", does that promote hair growth like Rogaine, or is it mostly placebo effect?...jk
Old 03-14-11, 11:03 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
where is the evidence for this? for example, actual tests comparing engines driven with and without cleaners?
Originally Posted by bitkahuna
crickets.

Sorry been busy for the last two days.

You can't really compare engine to engine because unless the injectors are ridiculously clogged, then you probably won't notice a difference in acceleration. Most cars fall under this category. In some older GM vehicles, injectors clogging was not uncommon at all, and the remedy was to use GM's fuel injector cleaner (great stuff). That did the trick for a while until it started clogging up again. I use them to maintain a good flowing injector. I went with Chevron 91 octane thinking it was all fine and dandy only to find my injectors reducing fuel pressure.

Most people won't care to use cleaners, then again most people don't ever change the coolant and brake fluid either.
Old 03-14-11, 11:04 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by T0ked
I don't know if it works or not but I use a bottle of gumout regane once a year in each car as psychological reassurance. Seems to be working well on my psyche.
Gumout Regane is definitely on the good list. It contains a sufficient amount of PEA (30%?) and it's not too expensive either. All the other Gumout (non-Regane) are not worth paying for.