Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

1st 7 months of ownership Lexus GS350 vs Genesis........

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-11, 08:42 AM
rickyb80
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mahmudb
I sat in the Hyundai Genesis and the Equus at the autoshow and the interior buttons kind of felt like they would break after a while. The leather also wasn't as nice as other manufacturers, but its great that you are having good luck with your Hyundai. I'm just not sure if I'd go for one.
That's the exact impression I got when I drove the Equus and Genesis. Looks pretty nice but doesn't necessarily feel "premium". I'd take a Genesis over a Camry or an Avalon, but certainly not over a GS or LS.

I think it's a little ridiculous when people compare Hyundai's as an alternative to a proven premium brand. I think Hyundai's should be an alternative to buying a Honda Accord, or a Nissan Maxima, but Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, and Audi are all proven companies with quality engineering to back.
Old 03-10-11, 08:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
My personal experience with Lexus IS (2007 sport pkg) is 2 TSIB's, 4 recalls and zero defects/rattles so far. During the TSIB/recall visit, I've enjoyed 1st class service, Lexus loaner cars, gas fillups, car washes and recently a $500 Visa gift card.
A $500 gift card just for bringing your car in for a TSB? And no catch? Almost too much to believe.
Old 03-10-11, 08:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by rickyb80
I think it's a little ridiculous when people compare Hyundai's as an alternative to a proven premium brand.
You're discounting two things here. First, most reviewers (including me) don't rate the Equus as a totally equal competitor to the LS460. Second, though, I've looked at and driven both cars, and as far as they look and drive, the Equus is a lot closer to the LS460 than a lot of people would think. The Equus trails only in the area of slightly more road noise, fewer exterior color choices (oddly, the Equus offers only 4 colors), and a very slight loss of transmission smoothness. And its warranty easily trumps that of the LS460.
Old 03-10-11, 09:26 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You're discounting two things here. First, most reviewers (including me) don't rate the Equus as a totally equal competitor to the LS460. Second, though, I've looked at and driven both cars, and as far as they look and drive, the Equus is a lot closer to the LS460 than a lot of people would think. The Equus trails only in the area of slightly more road noise, fewer exterior color choices (oddly, the Equus offers only 4 colors), and a very slight loss of transmission smoothness. And its warranty easily trumps that of the LS460.

Along with 5/60 free maintenance with car pick up,delivery and loaner.
I'm still not a fan of the Equus,though.

Last edited by Joeb427; 03-10-11 at 09:31 AM.
Old 03-10-11, 10:47 AM
ekc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Along with 5/60 free maintenance with car pick up,delivery and loaner.
I'm still not a fan of the Equus,though.
They are nice cars, but at this point I can't imagine myself buying a $40k Hyundai, let alone a $60k one...

I think Hyundai is currently where Honda and Toyota was 15-20 years ago, when they first delved into the luxury foray. It takes time to build a brand, but I think the public will eventually warm up to them.
Old 03-10-11, 11:23 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Thanks this well help my dad out....he wants the GS350 but has had one eye on the Genesis Sedan for a while now lol. He's still not sold "because of the name", and yeah it won't be worth as much in 3 years...but he's not realizing it has a 10 year/100k warranty and he usually keeps his cars till they don't drive anymore haha
If the Genesis holds up over the years it sounds like a very good candidate for your dad if he keeps his cars for a longer time with the 10 year/100K warranty. The Genesis and newer Hyundai's have not been out long enough to give a reliable determination of long term durability and reliability, it has to be much better then their bottom rankings in the 80's and 90's which is not saying much though. Hopefully is he gets one he will have a good experience with it and put the money he saved over some competitors to better use.
Old 03-10-11, 11:40 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

A $500 gift card just for bringing your car in for a TSB? And no catch? Almost too much to believe.
YUP!! I am actually getting two of them because I had to have it doe on my GS350 then I traded it a couple of months later for an LS460 that need the same thing. I called Lexus and they said I have 2 cards coming. AWESOME!!
Old 03-10-11, 11:49 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not for a TSB, it's for a recall.

No catch, the $500 gift card can be used at any Lexus dealership for an products or services. It's for the value spring recall (6 hour job). I will have it done this spring, when I have my usual annual oil change (Mobil 1 synthetic). Of course I expect I my car will receive 1st class treatment, I will leave in a Lexus loaner from a beautiful and modern facility (after I chat with the senior management that I know there), car will returned clean, with a full tank of gas, business as usual at my Lexus dealership.
Old 03-10-11, 01:01 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Hoping to see used genesis prices drop in the next year or so. It'll be a very nice buy
Old 03-10-11, 01:10 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
If the Genesis holds up over the years it sounds like a very good candidate for your dad if he keeps his cars for a longer time with the 10 year/100K warranty. The Genesis and newer Hyundai's have not been out long enough to give a reliable determination of long term durability and reliability, it has to be much better then their bottom rankings in the 80's and 90's which is not saying much though. Hopefully is he gets one he will have a good experience with it and put the money he saved over some competitors to better use.
Yeah i'm really trying to push him towards it. But there's not many long term reviews, even searching on Google the highest mileage i could find was about 32k (guy had 0 issues tho). I think the money saved is what will appeal to him, and you can get a really loaded one for a good price. I think the quality will be fine though, a family friend has an 06 Sonata and that thing as nearly 100k miles on it now, i know he had one small issue with it but the dealer took care of it free, he hasn't paid out anything outside of regular service and wear and tear parts.
Old 03-10-11, 02:10 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a very positive impression of the Genesis. It's an excellent car.

Of course you are comparing it to a car with a 5 year older design. If you compare it with the best of current designs like the BMW 550i you would find it to be nowhere near as good, but excellent value for money.