Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2011 NY Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-11, 07:03 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We should either change the thread title or split off the Jaguar XF portion.

I got excited to maybe see some updates on the FT-86...
Old 03-23-11, 07:28 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Talking Thread Title

I changed the title of my original post to reflect that the thread is about the 2011 Auto Show in general, to differentiate it from the GS thread ... but it did not change in the forum list. I think that a mod has to do that ...
Old 03-23-11, 07:41 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GS69
I changed the title of my original post to reflect that the thread is about the 2011 Auto Show in general, to differentiate it from the GS thread ... but it did not change in the forum list. I think that a mod has to do that ...
Yea I hate that.
Mod? Any mod?

Now go find me some juicy FT-86 info!
Old 03-24-11, 07:51 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Post Fiat 500C

Interest in the pint-sized 2012 Fiat 500 is set to ignite once again with word on the street that its convertible sibling, the funky 500C, is set to make its North American debut at the 2011 New York Auto Show next month.

That word comes by way of Fiat’s local chief, Laura Soave, who in the past has also hinted at production of the all-electric Fiat 500 BEV in 2012 and the launch of a 2nd-generation Abarth performance version.

As for the Fiat 500C, expect it to be very similar to its European cousin though some of the changes made to the hard-top version sold in the States should also feature on the convertible. This includes stuff like a beefed-up heating and air-conditioning system, modified suspension and a larger 10.5-gallon gas tank for greater range.

The convertible mechanism will be an automated sliding soft-top with an integrated glass backlight and built-in center high mounted stop light. The lining for the roof is a weather resistant canvas that should be available in mulitple colors.

Power will come from the same 101 horsepower 1.4-liter MultiAir 4-cylinder engine that powers the hard-top.

Stay tuned for an update as we approach the 2011 New York Auto Show’s April 22 opening. In the meantime, check out our previous story on the Fiat 500C for more details.

Last edited by GS69; 03-24-11 at 07:55 AM.
Old 03-24-11, 07:55 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Default Bmw

1 of the 3 world premiers at the 2011 Shanghai Auto Show is the new BMW 6 Series Coupe. Previously revealed in a concept form at the 2010 Paris Motor Show, the new 6 Series Coupe will be joining the 2012 M5 Concept and an all-new 5 Series electric vehicle. Its North American debut will take place at the New York Auto Show that runs concurrently with the Chinese event.

Set to get its 1st public airing at the Shanghai motor show in April, the 6er coupe will arrive in European and U.S. showrooms after the summer, and will be competing against the Mercedes-Benz E63 Coupe and Jaguar XK.

Initially, the 2012 BMW 6 Series Coupe launches with 2 gasoline engine variants in Europe, the 640i and the highest offering, 650i, powered by a 6-cylinder engine, respectively V8 turbocharged. BMW announced that the 640i coupe will cost 74,700 euros in Germany. No U.S. pricing is available at the moment.

With the new BMW 6 Series, BMW has another opportunity to outline the new design language under chief designer Adrian Van Hooydonk. Escaping from the sometimes radical and adventurous Bangle design, the new 6er Coupe is an evolution of the previous model, but its design lines continue to emit a strong presence.

The F12 6 Series Coupe comes to emphasize this new design language at BMW which started in 2009 with the E89 Z4, followed shortly by the F01/F02 7 Series and last year’s big seller, F10 5 Series. The high-end Coupe features shorter rear deck and a dramatic slope of the rear light, along with perfect proportions. The road presence is impressive and it aims to stand out amongst the crowd.

The unique shape of the headlights are inspired from the Gran Coupe Concept, the 4-door coupe that will come next year to further expand the flagship offerings from BMW. Same headlights design is said to be featured in the 2012 BMW 3 Series. At the end, BMW fans will praise the new design that makes forgotten the overly discussed Bangle-butt. The L-shape taillights continue to remain a BMW icon and the full LED treatment bring out the luxury and sportiness from the new 6.

We expect the U.S. pricing to be announced next month in New York.
Old 03-24-11, 08:06 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If the GS looks anything like a Panamera, BMW GranTurismo, or a Crossturd/ZDX; I am going to close my CL account and buy a Hyundai...
Old 03-24-11, 12:10 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
If the GS looks anything like a Panamera, BMW GranTurismo, or a Crossturd/ZDX; I am going to close my CL account and buy a Hyundai...
does even Panamera look like ZDX? I dont see the connection?
Old 03-24-11, 01:07 PM
Initial B
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree minus the Panamera - they are gangster in person.
Old 03-24-11, 01:13 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
does even Panamera look like ZDX? I dont see the connection?
I'm just talking about the humpback whale proportions of such cars.

An elongated hood paired with the lack of a trunk line makes it look turtlelike...
Old 03-24-11, 01:17 PM
Alucard
Pole Position

If it were up to me, the new GS would bring back the curvy design language of the first gen SC.

Clay-filled balloons > L-Finesse
Old 03-24-11, 05:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by GS69
fixed.
Old 03-24-11, 05:19 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Alucard
If it were up to me, the new GS would bring back the curvy design language of the first gen SC.

Clay-filled balloons > L-Finesse
Curves are out, nowadays it is all about edgy/sharp designs as production cars look closer to their concept forms every year. I figure eventually in the future (decades), we will see a move back to curvy designs as manufacturers seek highest efficiency with aerodynamics.
Old 03-24-11, 05:29 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Is hard to say, everyone is making a hatchback/wagon/shooting brake now a days.

When I saw the Ferrari FF, I know it is over

Is it me or car's styling is really getting worst over time? I can't think of many newer generations cars that looks better then the older generations.

Last edited by BNR34; 03-24-11 at 05:44 PM.
Old 03-24-11, 08:47 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Lightbulb Mb

Mercedes-Benz and tuning division AMG will unveil 3 world premieres at the upcoming New York International Auto Show in April, with speculation pointing towards the new Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Roadster being 1 of the key candidates.

Although it’s not official yet, reports say the highly-anticipated drop-top version of the SLS AMG will be unveiled at the 2011 New York Auto Show. This will be the 1st time the car will be seen in full detail, apart from a quick glimpse given out during a Super Bowl commercial earlier this year.

The Roadster version of the Gullwing is expected to be 1 of the most beautiful cars of 2011, showcasing a linear waistline and an elegant rear end just like the original Mercedes-Benz 300SL Roadster, and the classic 1960s 230SL. The shape can be seen in our latest spy shots of the car, even though it is wrapped in camouflaging.

Mercedes-Benz and AMG will also unveil the new Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Coupe – a model that has already been unveiled online – which is set to make a show appearance in the metal for the 1st time. Meanwhile, the third model to be unveiled is said to be an all-new concept car.

We’ll be sure to keep you updated with all the previews prior to the show which commences on April 22.

Old 03-24-11, 11:29 PM
emad2007
Driver

gs spy shot :

http://lexusenthusiast.com/2011/03/2...s-gs-spy-shot/

Quick Reply: 2011 NY Auto Show