Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Questions on the IS300

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-11, 08:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
I'm sure mmarshal will chime in with his thoughts (or you can PM him) - he does car reviews.
Yes...in addition to that, I owned an IS300 for almost 5 years. Very well-built car....one of the best I've owned (and, IMO, better-built than the 2Gen models that replaced it). Had some quirks, though.....the climate-control system, with the 3 round dash-*****, tended to keep kicking-in the cabin-recirc air.......you often had to re-set it manually for outside air. The all-metal metal chrome-ball transmission-shifter was a classic (but don't let it heat up in the sun), and had a delightful, high-quality snap-snap motion, but there were limitations in what the engineers allowed it to do. You couldn't shift it manually down into first with the lever, and there were also limitations in the lever's 5-4 downshift----you sometimes had to use the steering-wheel shift-buttons instead. 2001 and 2002 models had some ECU TSBs to address transsmision shift-and rolling-start quirks, and were not totally successful. And the in-line-6, though butter-smooth and tough as nails, drank premium gas at V8 rates. But, except for those quirks, an excellent car, and very well-built.

I noticed some comments about the IS300's harsh ride. Look for one with the factory 16", 55-series all-season tire option (as mine was) and that won't be a problem.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-17-11 at 08:35 PM.
Old 03-17-11, 08:52 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Can you find a decent IS300 at a dealer for $8,000-$10,000? You might have trouble financing one as well. For that price I would guess its going to have more than 100,000 miles which is a risk in itself. Banks usually won't finance a car with over 100,000 miles or if its older than 9 years. If you do find someone willing to finance the interest will be sky high. It won't be worth paying more interest than principal. Consider this when your looking for one.
Old 03-18-11, 11:36 AM
Berzie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Well just a little advice: Don't max out your budget on a car. ever. There will always be things that can go wrong or need repairing. It's always better to spend under your budget and save the rest for "a rainy day" Be sure to consider insurance too (full coverage required if you finance). Seems like your still pretty young so consider the whole picture before making a move!

If your moving from one "old" car to another, there's always a risk your taking. You could be spending more money on your newer (But still old) car and on top of that have to pay for repairs. If your budget is tight, stick with your Legend for a while or get a car that's priced on the same level, so that worst case scenario is that your back to square 1 with the same kinda car that isn't reliable.

IMO, Lexus IS300 doesn't seem like the "perfect" fit for you. Seems like you need something a little cheaper on servicing/repairs and a car that doesn't burn through thru tires.

DEFINITELY not trying to say you are poor or anything BTW...i was in your same situation exactly 3 years ago. My budget was limited and I paid all my expenses and was on my own for 90% of things. I wanted to get a new car at the time too, cuz my 98 prelude was becoming a money pit (transmission died twice ) but i stuck with the car, and towards the end it had no problems cept for burning a quart of oil between oil changes (Classic issue with the H22 motor) Glad i did cuz when i graduated i got a good paying job, traded in the Prelude and had enough saved from NOT buying a new car to put a good amount down on my IS250 and have low payments on it

If you ask me, gotta suffer a bit now to enjoy the luxuries of life later on
This is very sound advice. I wouldn't max my budget out on a car, I was hoping to find something the payments for which wouldn't require all of my monthly earnings. I do agree that I should be pragmatic now in order to really enjoy having nice things later in life. I'm still not entirely sure what I'm actually doing, which is why I joined this forum and created this thread. The Legend is definitely my baby, but like I said, it requires a lot of attention. I'm going to do whichever is cheaper, be it fix my car up or get a new one that requires less attention. You guys have been very helpful in informing me about this car, though.

Oh, and I didn't think you were calling me poor. I prefer to call it spread too thin haha. No offense taken.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes...in addition to that, I owned an IS300 for almost 5 years. Very well-built car....one of the best I've owned (and, IMO, better-built than the 2Gen models that replaced it). Had some quirks, though.....the climate-control system, with the 3 round dash-*****, tended to keep kicking-in the cabin-recirc air.......you often had to re-set it manually for outside air. The all-metal metal chrome-ball transmission-shifter was a classic (but don't let it heat up in the sun), and had a delightful, high-quality snap-snap motion, but there were limitations in what the engineers allowed it to do. You couldn't shift it manually down into first with the lever, and there were also limitations in the lever's 5-4 downshift----you sometimes had to use the steering-wheel shift-buttons instead. 2001 and 2002 models had some ECU TSBs to address transsmision shift-and rolling-start quirks, and were not totally successful. And the in-line-6, though butter-smooth and tough as nails, drank premium gas at V8 rates. But, except for those quirks, an excellent car, and very well-built.

I noticed some comments about the IS300's harsh ride. Look for one with the factory 16", 55-series all-season tire option (as mine was) and that won't be a problem.
Thanks man, I appreciate the detailed information.

Originally Posted by COOLIS
Can you find a decent IS300 at a dealer for $8,000-$10,000? You might have trouble financing one as well. For that price I would guess its going to have more than 100,000 miles which is a risk in itself. Banks usually won't finance a car with over 100,000 miles or if its older than 9 years. If you do find someone willing to finance the interest will be sky high. It won't be worth paying more interest than principal. Consider this when your looking for one.
I've found like two in my area that are under $10,000 at a dealership. But they're both the type of ads where they say they'll finance anybody no matter what, which invariably means insane interest, like you said.