Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Questions on the IS300

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-11, 10:42 PM
Berzie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions on the IS300

I'm new to the idea of owning a Lexus. I currently own a 1991 Acura Legend coupe that I've taken very good care of and have done a lot of work to. Problem is, I'm a fully emancipated adult paying for just about every expense I have, and the car is turning into a money pit. So why am I asking about a newer, more expensive car? Because I think a monthly payment would be better than constant maintenance costs. My Acura a fabulous car, but it needs a lot of work. So, I'm toying with the idea of a post-2002 IS300. I want to know if it would serve well as an impoverished sport-luxury enthusiast's daily driver. I'll be able to keep up with fluid changes and other basic maintenance, but major repairs would only make me kick myself for selling my current ride. I drive ~30 miles a day, to and from school and work. I have a garage to keep one car in, and am a huge automotive enthusiast. Is this car a good fit?

Moderators: I'm pretty sure this is the correct forum to post this in, if not, feel free to move it as needed.

Thanks guys.

-Berzie

Last edited by Berzie; 03-16-11 at 11:25 PM.
Old 03-16-11, 10:48 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Lexi are generally very realiable. Never owned an IS300, but owners can tell you about it... I'm sure mmarshal will chime in with his thoughts (or you can PM him) - he does car reviews.

You should also check out the 1st gen IS (IS300) section.
Old 03-16-11, 10:52 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I have a 2002 IS300. Its not my favorite car that I have owned. Ill give you some pros and cons and hopefully this will help.

Pros:

Car is very eager to go fast, one of the few cars I have owned that feels faster than it is
Pretty low on maintenance cost except for a few problems (see cons)
well put together, not a single rattle since day 1
xenons standard
steering wheel E-shift buttons can be fun

Cons:

Eagerness mentioned in Pros also creates jerky rides from transmission and sensitive pedals
Replaced two O2 sensors within a few months of each other, CD player is a common problem (mine is broken)
few luxury amenities, literally hard plastic dash (not even the fake leather/rubber you get in most cars)
Mediocre gas mileage rated at something like 17/24 -- I avg 19 in mixed driving
High performance tires (dunlops stock) dont last very long
Suspension is not comfortable at all, potholes will be your mortal enemy -- recently got a tire bulge too
Dont buy Black. Mine is, and the swirls are horrible. Its a pretty low grade black if you ask me
Overly small cup holders (dont even try to fit a thermal mug)

Not trying to discourage you from buying an IS, but as you can see there are more cons than pros that I can think of right now. Make sure you do a long test drive to see if you really like it.
Old 03-16-11, 11:20 PM
Berzie
Driver School Candidate

^ Most of that stuff I already put up with haha. I'm a little bit of a snob, and I did read about that dashboard. I'd say that the three things I hate about these cars are the chrome taillights, the plastic dash, and that weird shaped instrument bezel. Other than those things, I think I really like the IS 300. My Legend has no cup holders, so I'm used to that. I get 19 mpg average as well. I am spoiled and have a very smooth ride though. What common problem does the CD player suffer from? Which one of the three engines it was offered with is generally considered the best? The 2JZ?
Old 03-16-11, 11:51 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

the CD player will get stuck, such that no CDs go in and no CDs come out, and it doesnt play. I took apart the dash (big mistake) to try to unstick it. What ended up happening is that its almost impossible not to scratch the side of your dash as you are taking it apart. So now I have scratches all along the side, a broken CD player, and 1 remaining disc in there that cant be removed.

I am not aware that the IS300 came in 3 engine configurations...
Old 03-16-11, 11:57 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

I think any review of an older car is going to have a longer list of negatives. Time has brought enhancements, inventions, and technology to the plate- much of which early 2000 cars did not have. Also, time ages a car and more things are bound to break. So in fairness, you'll likely hear a list of negatives to any older model of anything. Personally, my experiences with the first gen IS were very positive. My ex owned one and it was pretty highly regarded at the time. It's also held it's "panache" quite well over time. This will be a car many will seek out in 15 years, much like the first gen LS and SC.
Old 03-17-11, 10:24 AM
Berzie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RXSF
the CD player will get stuck, such that no CDs go in and no CDs come out, and it doesnt play. I took apart the dash (big mistake) to try to unstick it. What ended up happening is that its almost impossible not to scratch the side of your dash as you are taking it apart. So now I have scratches all along the side, a broken CD player, and 1 remaining disc in there that cant be removed.

I am not aware that the IS300 came in 3 engine configurations...
I read it on edmunds, I may have misread the information though.

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I think any review of an older car is going to have a longer list of negatives. Time has brought enhancements, inventions, and technology to the plate- much of which early 2000 cars did not have. Also, time ages a car and more things are bound to break. So in fairness, you'll likely hear a list of negatives to any older model of anything. Personally, my experiences with the first gen IS were very positive. My ex owned one and it was pretty highly regarded at the time. It's also held it's "panache" quite well over time. This will be a car many will seek out in 15 years, much like the first gen LS and SC.
I was prepared for this. I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty though. It's just buying parts I'm worried about. My car now is 20 years old, and it demands a lot of attention and parts that are difficult to source. I don't know what it's like to own a new luxury vehicle, so not having something like a bluetooth connection won't bother me haha. Overall though, it sounds like any aging sport-luxury vehicle; it has a few problems, but it's still cool enough to draw people to it.
Old 03-17-11, 11:03 AM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My served me well, but started to have a lot of problems towards the end of my ownership. Very harsh ride and terrible fuel economy were my biggest complaints. Also had quite a few battery problems, timing belt, O2 sensor and CD player always got jammed. Black paint also started to fade as well, quite quickly in fact.

lol pretty much exactly what RXSF said.

Loved the engine though, so sweet and smooth. 2JZ was a peach, wish they still made it.

Last edited by venom21; 03-17-11 at 11:12 AM.
Old 03-17-11, 11:09 AM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I had a 2001 IS300 for 2 years and was one of the best cars i've owned. I bought it with 80K and drove it to 150K with only 2 things replaced other than normal maintenance: an O2 sensor and the thermostat. The car did burn through tires. I think the most I got out of a set was 18K and that was really pushing it. The CD player was broken from day one. I heard this issue was fixed for 03. The car is built pretty solid. No rattles and although everything was plastic it was high quality plastic and never looked tired. I talked to the guy I sold the car to the other day and it currently has 180K and said it runs like new still. Only thing he has done was the timing belt/water pump again. The gas mileage is just average, nothing great. And the car does wanna go fast. I got a speeding ticket doing 97 in a 65, but luckily the cop didn't show up when I tried to fight the ticket so got out of it. If I were you I would get one, but be careful cause a lot of them are trashed. Many teenagers get them now cause they're cheap and tear them up.
Old 03-17-11, 11:30 AM
Squirrelz
Pole Position

Would just like to say, the most expensive thing I've had to worry about for my IS were its god damn tires. So expensive replacing them, and they don't last very long either. RXSF already mentioned this, I just wanted to chime in and say it is 100% true.
Old 03-17-11, 12:25 PM
Berzie
Driver School Candidate

So it sounds like a badass little car, which was my perception of it initially. Its appetite for tires might be a deal killer though. Any ideas why it wears them out so fast?
Old 03-17-11, 12:32 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How much are you willing to spend on the monthly payments? Might be better options for you, but not sure how much your willing to spend
Old 03-17-11, 12:40 PM
Berzie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
How much are you willing to spend on the monthly payments? Might be better options for you, but not sure how much your willing to spend
That depends mostly on what condition and configuration it's in. If it's a mint white on black Sport Design, I'll be willing to pay as much as possible. I also need to see what my living arrangement will be next year, as my current lease expires soon. I'd probably be looking in the $8,000 range, maybe up to $10,000 depending on what life is like after summer. I don't even have a ballpark for monthly payments yet.
Old 03-17-11, 01:41 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well just a little advice: Don't max out your budget on a car. ever. There will always be things that can go wrong or need repairing. It's always better to spend under your budget and save the rest for "a rainy day" Be sure to consider insurance too (full coverage required if you finance). Seems like your still pretty young so consider the whole picture before making a move!

If your moving from one "old" car to another, there's always a risk your taking. You could be spending more money on your newer (But still old) car and on top of that have to pay for repairs. If your budget is tight, stick with your Legend for a while or get a car that's priced on the same level, so that worst case scenario is that your back to square 1 with the same kinda car that isn't reliable.

IMO, Lexus IS300 doesn't seem like the "perfect" fit for you. Seems like you need something a little cheaper on servicing/repairs and a car that doesn't burn through thru tires.

DEFINITELY not trying to say you are poor or anything BTW...i was in your same situation exactly 3 years ago. My budget was limited and I paid all my expenses and was on my own for 90% of things. I wanted to get a new car at the time too, cuz my 98 prelude was becoming a money pit (transmission died twice ) but i stuck with the car, and towards the end it had no problems cept for burning a quart of oil between oil changes (Classic issue with the H22 motor) Glad i did cuz when i graduated i got a good paying job, traded in the Prelude and had enough saved from NOT buying a new car to put a good amount down on my IS250 and have low payments on it

If you ask me, gotta suffer a bit now to enjoy the luxuries of life later on
Old 03-17-11, 08:14 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

I have owned my IS300 since 2004 and just love it! Just do routine maintance, make sure the timing belt is changed before 90,000 miles and you'll be fine! They really are fun to drive, I don't feel the ride is to bad, think BMW like and if taken care of, will last a long time. The only frustrating thing is that CD changer!, but it is a easy fix to get a aftermarket unit.

Quick Reply: Questions on the IS300