Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Camaro Convertible has arrived

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-11, 12:14 PM
jimxo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Camaro Convertible has arrived

I saw the new Camaro Convertible sitting outside my local Chevy dealer.
Attached Thumbnails Camaro Convertible has arrived-imag1310.jpg   Camaro Convertible has arrived-imag1308.jpg   Camaro Convertible has arrived-imag1306.jpg   Camaro Convertible has arrived-imag1305.jpg   Camaro Convertible has arrived-imag1307.jpg  

Old 03-17-11, 12:16 PM
jimxo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One more......................
Attached Thumbnails Camaro Convertible has arrived-imag1309.jpg  
Old 03-17-11, 12:21 PM
norapat01
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Camero are nice, but i think the coupe still looks better.....
Old 03-17-11, 12:32 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by norapat01
Camero are nice, but i think the coupe still looks better.....
Yeah, but that goes for almost any drop-top. This looks really nice.
Old 03-17-11, 01:47 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh boy.... i forsee seeing tons of these this summer in CA....lol
Old 03-17-11, 01:54 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I rented the super sport last year when I was in Hawaii. I guess I will have to rent the convertible this year. I did a review on the hard top. The convertible will be the typical added weight and less chassis rigidity. I think it would look insane dropped on a set of staggered 22s
Old 03-17-11, 04:19 PM
TOPSECRTIS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Looks like a nice rental car. Really I can say that about most GM vehicles.....
Old 03-17-11, 04:39 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

How much of a premium above MSRP was the dealer attempting to charge?

Having grown up in a GM family, I really want to like that car. But, it doesn't do anything for me. IMO, that steering wheel looks hideous and the dash is only slightly better. I also have to really wonder about the quality - as I found it lacking in other GM cars that I owned.
Old 03-17-11, 05:29 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great. Best to ignore any attempts at markup over MSRP, those attempts will weaken soon enough.

I assume the Camaro convertible (like the 'Vette and 'Stang) lacks rollover protection.
Old 03-17-11, 08:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Looks great. Best to ignore any attempts at markup over MSRP, those attempts will weaken soon enough.
It took them a LONG time, though, for them to weaken when the current-generation Camaro debuted some two years ago (some of the mark-ups I saw back then at Chevy shops were ludicrous)....and you're still likely to find some mark-ups today on 6MT SS models (that's why, despite a good number of CL member-requests, it took me such a long time to find an unsold, untaken SS to finally test-drive).

I agree we'll probably see some mark-ups on the convertible, but the car's novelty has worn off some.....I'll definitely be surprised if we see the 15-20K mark-ups we saw two years ago on SS coupes.

I assume the Camaro convertible (like the 'Vette and 'Stang) lacks rollover protection.
The Camaro's fairly low center-of-gravity and it's (now) decent-handling supsension will, of course, help prevent at least some roll-overs.....the 'Vette's even lower COG and sharper suspension all the more.

Also, remember that most soft-top convertibles have even lower COGs than their sedan/coupe counterparts, because the roof itself, on top of the car, is much lighter, and because there is more frame-stiffening in the chassis, particularly underneath, adding weight down low.

Notice the big, thick, wide A-Pillars on the Camaro convertible, holding up the windshield pillars. It is obvious that this car was designed from the start with a convertible version in mind.....that should help keep the windshield pillar from collapsing if the car, for any reason, does roll. That won't necessarily help those in the rear seat......but when is the last time adults ever tried to sit in a pony-car rear seat? .......it is basically a package-shelf, and little else.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-17-11 at 08:20 PM.
Old 03-17-11, 11:08 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Camaro's fairly low center-of-gravity and it's (now) decent-handling supsension will, of course, help prevent at least some roll-overs.....the 'Vette's even lower COG and sharper suspension all the more.

Also, remember that most soft-top convertibles have even lower COGs than their sedan/coupe counterparts, because the roof itself, on top of the car, is much lighter, and because there is more frame-stiffening in the chassis, particularly underneath, adding weight down low.

Notice the big, thick, wide A-Pillars on the Camaro convertible, holding up the windshield pillars. It is obvious that this car was designed from the start with a convertible version in mind.....that should help keep the windshield pillar from collapsing if the car, for any reason, does roll. That won't necessarily help those in the rear seat......but when is the last time adults ever tried to sit in a pony-car rear seat? .......it is basically a package-shelf, and little else.
No need to remember, because most Car Chat (being knowledgeable) members know that these casual observations/common knowledge about extra weight/reinforcements added to stiffen the car, insignificant changes in CG and thicker appearing windshield pillars were not intended to increase rollover safety. All these additional stiffeners were designed to stiffen the chassis and the net result is still less chassis rigiity (and a less capable chassis) than the coupe version. As I simply stated, the Camaro convertible has no rollover protection and GM isn't attempting to design-in or claim any such protection (the car is exempt from US rollover regs, so GM decided to not address the safety issue). Not that this is uncommon in convertibles, including Corvette and Mustang both very popular convertibles for example and the incident of rollerovers should not be any higher than equivalent coupes.

Last edited by IS-SV; 03-17-11 at 11:39 PM.
Old 03-17-11, 11:28 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

I remember just before the coupe finally made it's debut, GM announced there will be no convertible model at all. Now, here we have it. So often, GM can't be trusted or believed.
Old 03-18-11, 05:31 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

^^^
I recall that GM said the convertible would be coming at a later date. There was some fear that it would be cancelled due to the company's problems.
Old 03-18-11, 06:33 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

i think it's an ugly car, with ugly guages, and the most worthless rear seats possible.

it will sell though...
Old 03-18-11, 06:50 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I guess GM doesn't believe that people have legs. You couldn't even fit a child in the back seat. What is the asking price for these?

Quick Reply: Camaro Convertible has arrived