Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Traffic ticket help for a friend

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-11, 02:33 PM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traffic ticket help for a friend

Got a friend who got caught texting while driving. She let her insurance laps and registration. She has all that corrected now, but has a court date soon. She is in GA. Any advice?
Old 03-17-11, 02:36 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

Originally Posted by lexmenow
Got a friend who got caught texting while driving. She let her insurance laps and registration. She has all that corrected now, but has a court date soon. She is in GA. Any advice?
Tell her to stop texting, beg for mercy, pay the fine, and be done with it. She also needs to think about the consequences of what could happen - no insurance? No registration? Texting? Sounds like a very irresponsible driver who is very lucky she didn't hit someone and pay an even bigger fine. Hopefully this lesson is learned.

Big Mack
Old 03-17-11, 02:40 PM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Big Mack
Tell her to stop texting, beg for mercy, pay the fine, and be done with it. She also needs to think about the consequences of what could happen - no insurance? No registration? Texting? Sounds like a very irresponsible driver who is very lucky she didn't hit someone and pay an even bigger fine. Hopefully this lesson is learned.

Big Mack
I agree 100%. I hope she does not lose her license she is a single mom. You are right there are consequences.
Old 03-17-11, 03:50 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In Texas they charge you a ~$300/year surcharge for 3 years if you are caught driving without insurance. Which is really quite dumb, because most of the people caught under that are people who couldn't afford insurance in the first place - I don't think 3 years of fines in addition to the cost of the ticket is a sensible way to handle it.

Anyways, be on the lookout for something like that, not sure if GA has something similar or not.
Old 03-17-11, 04:50 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I have to chuckle because I have a couple "adult" children who have been in similar situations. Some learn from it. Others, well...

BTW, I don't know if you are romantically involved with this friend, but I would advise against it.
Old 03-17-11, 05:13 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Unfortunately the evidence of multiple offenses outweighs any tips that might be provided here, other than the obvious proper behavior, attitude, attire for the court room on that date.
Old 03-17-11, 05:37 PM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by caddyowner
I have to chuckle because I have a couple "adult" children who have been in similar situations. Some learn from it. Others, well...

BTW, I don't know if you are romantically involved with this friend, but I would advise against it.
lol no just a friend
Old 03-17-11, 05:50 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I say let her handle it herself. Texting and driving = NO NO. As someone else said, she seems very irresponsible, I wouldn't give her any advice. Funny though, cause I know a girl in the exact same scenario in GA as well, aside from a couple small differences. Would be funny if it were the same girl.
Old 03-17-11, 06:31 PM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Jewcano
I say let her handle it herself. Texting and driving = NO NO. As someone else said, she seems very irresponsible, I wouldn't give her any advice. Funny though, cause I know a girl in the exact same scenario in GA as well, aside from a couple small differences. Would be funny if it were the same girl.
That would be something.
Old 03-17-11, 07:16 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Infra
In Texas they charge you a ~$300/year surcharge for 3 years if you are caught driving without insurance. Which is really quite dumb, because most of the people caught under that are people who couldn't afford insurance in the first place - I don't think 3 years of fines in addition to the cost of the ticket is a sensible way to handle it.

Anyways, be on the lookout for something like that, not sure if GA has something similar or not.
Seriously!!!! don't drive if you can't afford!!! These sucker drive like nuts.......cop don't arrest or press charge on them. you are screwed if you got hit & don;t have full coverage. No way they will pay you even i fyou suit them & win. WHy?? because they have no property, no work, drive jun k car, lives on food stamp, & wellfare
Old 03-17-11, 07:43 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

tell her to pray its a male judge and to start crying when apologizing. Sounds like she is going to get chewed out and fined BIG TIME
Old 03-17-11, 07:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Mack

Big Mack
Yep.....pretty much what I would say. I don't always agree with you in the DEBATE forum, Big Mack, but you're right on target here. Texting, cell-phones, and other electronic driver-distractions are becoming as much of a problem, if not worse, than DUIs/DWIs.
Old 03-22-11, 10:44 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by lexmenow
I agree 100%. I hope she does not lose her license she is a single mom. You are right there are consequences.
Any update? You said her court date was soon...

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yep.....pretty much what I would say. I don't always agree with you in the DEBATE forum, Big Mack, but you're right on target here. Texting, cell-phones, and other electronic driver-distractions are becoming as much of a problem, if not worse, than DUIs/DWIs.
Thanks, mang. And while we don't always agree, we do respect the opinions. Debate - not only used for catching defish.

Big Mack
Old 03-22-11, 10:53 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Have a peek at this vid and maybe have her watch it to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DebhW...layer_embedded