Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes-Benz: U.S. fuel too dirty for next-gen efficient engines

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-11, 08:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

All the more reason we need to get busy developing alternate-fuel engines and the infrastructure to support the needed refuelling and recharging stations.
Old 03-19-11, 11:57 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bad co
I remember that VW threatened to pull its TDi car's off of the U.S market because the fuel was so bad. Now all diesel is ultra low sulfur and manufactures like MB BMW and VW are bringing over more diesel options. U.S has some of the crappiest fuel. 91 octane is the highest rated fuel in a lot of U.S cities. While 91 is the lowest rated in most European Cities.
One thing to note though. When you say 91 Octane over there in Stateside, it may mean something else in Europe.

Remember: Europe uses Research Octane Number (RON) while America I think uses Active Knock Index (which is RON+MON/2).

There are differences with how octane ratings are computed.........but I'm too lazy to do the conversions atm so you guys check it out for yourselves.

Old 03-19-11, 01:18 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wake me up when they get rid of that ICE garbage concept!
Old 03-19-11, 03:23 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
One thing to note though. When you say 91 Octane over there in Stateside, it may mean something else in Europe.

Remember: Europe uses Research Octane Number (RON) while America I think uses Active Knock Index (which is RON+MON/2).

There are differences with how octane ratings are computed.........but I'm too lazy to do the conversions atm so you guys check it out for yourselves.

US 91 equals Euro 95 and US 93 equals Euro 98.
Old 03-21-11, 12:05 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This engine still seems to make less HP, less torque, and less mileage than the 2GR-FSE... MB is just talking hot air about "EU" superiority here.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
All the more reason we need to get busy developing alternate-fuel engines and the infrastructure to support the needed refuelling and recharging stations.
I'm not picking on you specifically, but I see people say this all the time.

You're welcome to take your shot at it - if you succeed, I'm sure you'll be a billionaire. In the meantime, I'd prefer to not have my money, via taxes, be wasted on failed ideas such as E85.