Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buicks REALLY outselling Lexus?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-11, 10:45 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by madmax2k1
In this economy, Buick is a better value than Lexus. The Japanese Luxury brands are no longer the bargains they used to be.
and Japanese vehicles aren't built as well as they once were.
Old 03-18-11, 10:53 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Buick, for real? Any links?
Old 03-18-11, 11:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
and Japanese vehicles aren't built as well as they once were.
Yep, that's the real problem, although the amount of build-quality deterioration in Japanese nameplates varies some, brand by brand, and model by model. As far as the comparison between the typical Buick and the typical Lexus, I'd say Lexus still uses better-quality materials in the interior, and, in some cases, better-refinement and sound-insulation, but, on the whole, there just isn't that much difference between Buicks and Lexuses anymore. And both brands are now emphasizing somewhat more sport-oriented handling than they formerly did with ultra-smooth rides.
Old 03-18-11, 11:28 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do see differences in Lexus vs. Buick (other than the similarities and the very good value from a purchase price standpoint that Buick offers).

. Lexus offers a more complete range of lux RWD/FWD/AWD cars/SUVs (crossovers and BOF)
. Lexus base models are better equipped, as expected in tier 1 premium car
. Lexus dependability and reliability is better than Buick (Buick is below average to average for popular models)
. Lexus resale value is considerably higher (an important cost factor in ownership cost).

None of the above diminishes what Buick has accomplished over last few years with improved product offerings.

Last edited by IS-SV; 03-18-11 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-18-11, 01:17 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by madmax2k1
In this economy, Buick is a better value than Lexus. The Japanese Luxury brands are no longer the bargains they used to be.
good point. I am seeing the new Buicks all over town where I live. I can spot them by the LS type rear exhaust tips
Old 03-18-11, 01:26 PM
ypnadkar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buick definitely is offering some good options. But Buick cannot really be included in the same league as Lexus/MB/BMW/Cadillac. It is not a luxury car maker, maybe near luxury but not really luxury. I would include Buick among car makers like Volvo/Saab which are near luxury automakers.
That said I think Buick cars look very good in pictures, not so great in person. Even with a leather dash on the LaCrosse I found it to be less luxurious than the ambiance i got in the ES350. I haven't seen the new Regal yet up close, but the Enclave is definitely not very good on the inside. Some design elements are good on all cars but overall definitely not luxury.
Old 03-18-11, 02:13 PM
felixdang
Driver

GM has step up there. Game alot since the bankruptcy,

Buicks are looking a lot better then they use too ( I'll give them that) but still can't compare it to the Lexus

I live in MI and here a lot of ppl buying buicks and I guess cause its cheaper then the lexus plus the 0% apr helps too..

Here I'm glad they they buy Buicks instead of Lexus, cause I see very very little is350 in my city which makes me feel special
Old 03-18-11, 05:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by felixdang

I live in MI and here a lot of ppl buying buicks and I guess cause its cheaper then the lexus plus the 0% apr helps too..

Here I'm glad they they buy Buicks instead of Lexus, cause I see very very little is350 in my city which makes me feel special
U.S.-nameplate vehicles have always been more popular in the American Midwest than those of other countries, notwithstanding the fact that today's auto buisness is truly global and many Japanese-nameplate vehicles are built in the Midwest, with American labor. This is one instance where local politics is not always based on factual reasons....or, in some cases, even common sense. Until very recently, the UAW has fostered an atmosphere that is basically linked back to the 1960's, before the rise of foreign-nameplates became a significant factor here in America.
Old 03-18-11, 06:09 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

i really like the new lacrosse. go buick
Old 03-18-11, 08:33 PM
ekc
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
U.S.-nameplate vehicles have always been more popular in the American Midwest than those of other countries, notwithstanding the fact that today's auto buisness is truly global and many Japanese-nameplate vehicles are built in the Midwest, with American labor. This is one instance where local politics is not always based on factual reasons....or, in some cases, even common sense. Until very recently, the UAW has fostered an atmosphere that is basically linked back to the 1960's, before the rise of foreign-nameplates became a significant factor here in America.
I couldn't agree more. I also think there are more Buick rentals out there, which can also attribute to the figures.
Old 03-18-11, 11:04 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

buick doesn't have any dealerships ?

huh?
Old 03-18-11, 11:07 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

awesome, good competition

Last edited by <VENOM>; 03-18-11 at 11:17 PM.
Old 03-18-11, 11:29 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Check out this Buick concept. With Buick doing so well in China I think we'll be seeing some pretty nice stuff coming out.

Old 03-19-11, 10:28 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's hot (the coupe).
Old 03-19-11, 11:07 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dunnojack
buick doesn't have any dealerships ?

huh?
Well they've always been Pontiac/Buick/GMC combos. Now with Pontiac gone, I assume most dealers have remained Buick/GMC.

Quick Reply: Buicks REALLY outselling Lexus?