Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lamborghini's future model changes revealed

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-11, 02:41 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Lamborghini's future model changes revealed

http://www.insideline.com/lamborghin...-revealed.html

Just the Facts:
Future models from Lamborghini are expected to include the Estoque four-door, the carbon-fiber-intensive Sesto Elemento and a Gallardo replacement that may be christened Cabrera.
The major product launch for 2011 is the Aventador LP700-4.
CEO Stephan Winkelmann has hinted that the Estoque is edging closer to production.

SANT'AGATA BOLOGNESE, Italy — Lamborghini is laying plans to launch several new models over the next two to three years, including the Estoque four-door, the carbon-fiber-intensive Sesto Elemento and a Gallardo replacement that may be christened Cabrera. The supercar maker, part of the Volkswagen Group, also has laid out a long-range blueprint for its future that relies heavily on VW Group platforms as the building blocks for new Lamborghinis between now and 2020.

There has been intense media speculation over Lamborghini's future plans, as well as how much the company plans to rely on its corporate parent for vehicle architectures and powertrains.

Some of that speculation has been fueled by Lamborghini CEO Stephan Winkelmann, who has hinted broadly to several publications that the Estoque, introduced as a concept at the 2008 Paris Auto Show, is moving closer to production.

A second model that appears to be edging toward production is the Sesto Elemento, unveiled as a concept last fall at the 2010 Paris Auto Show. At the time, Winkelmann said, "The Sesto Elemento shows how the future of the super sports car can look — extreme lightweight engineering, combined with extreme performance results in extreme driving fun.... We will apply this technological advantage right across our model range. Every future Lamborghini will be touched by the spirit of the Sesto Elemento."

Lamborghini's major new-model launch for 2011, of course, is the Aventador LP700-4, which was formally unveiled two weeks ago at the 2011 Geneva Auto Show and goes into production later this year as the successor to the Murcielago.

Also on the drawing board in Sant'Agata Bolognese is a replacement for the soon-to-be-discontinued Gallardo — an entry-level Lambo that may be christened Cabrera, according to speculation on several European Web sites.

A lengthy post this week on the fan site Teamspeed.com purports to detail Lamborghini's new model plans for the next 10 years. Among the highlights, according to the site, the Sesto Elemento and an Aventador roadster could arrive in 2012; the Gallardo replacement in 2013, and the Estoque in 2014.

The Gallardo successor may be named Cabrera "after one of the foundational bloodlines of Spanish fighting bulls," according to the Teamspeed.com post, which also predicts a Cabrera Spyder will arrive in 2014. The Web site expects a "next-gen V10" will be shared by the Cabrera and the Estoque, and speculates that the Aventador series eventually will include Spyder and Super Veloce variants.

A January story in Automobile magazine reported that Porsche is developing a new set of components, using the platform designation MSB, that will underpin the next-generation Audi A8, Bentley Continental and Porsche Panamera, and may also be used as the foundation for a new full-size Lamborghini sedan and coupe in 2017.

The MSB architecture is designed to accommodate both rear- and all-wheel-drive configurations, according to Automobile. The top engine is said to be a twin-turbo 4.8-liter V8 developing 600 horsepower.

While Porsche would develop the basic ingredients, Automobile said, each of VW's luxury brands would provide their own design and engineering interpretations on specific models.
Attached Thumbnails Lamborghini's future model changes revealed-lambo-range.jpg  
Old 03-18-11, 04:53 PM
LunaVyohr
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear Lamborghini,

Please, please, PLEASE make the Estoque. It's quite possibly one of the most GORGEOUS cars I've ever seen.
Old 03-18-11, 08:21 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I have to agree on that one. When I first saw the car my mouth was wide open. Its beautiful. Not one bad angle in my opinion
Old 03-19-11, 12:00 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sesto Elemento would be a neat addition..........as well as serving as the company's benchmark for light-weight vehicles

The Sesto Elemento will (I think) be the lightest Lamborghini vehicle EVER!!!
Old 03-19-11, 04:31 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Sesto Elemento would be a neat addition..........as well as serving as the company's benchmark for light-weight vehicles

The Sesto Elemento will (I think) be the lightest Lamborghini vehicle EVER!!!
It just sucks that it is a track day-only car :thumbed: I hope to see it on Top Gear
Old 03-20-11, 03:57 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JessePS
It just sucks that it is a track day-only car :thumbed: I hope to see it on Top Gear
What? It's not street-legal (i.e. you can't use it on public roads).

Well, I hope that won't be the case