Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Registration & Insurance same address???

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-11, 05:53 AM
questnyc
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Registration & Insurance same address???

Hey whats up guys. I have a quick question. My car is registered in VA. I recently changed my mailing address with dmv. When I received my new registration card it had my mailing address on it instead on my resident. Since my car insurance card shows my resident address, will that be a problem if im pulled over or anything? Thanks for ur feedback.
Old 03-19-11, 08:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Did you move into or out of VA? And which state is your legal-resident addess? You have NY on your call-sign here. Most states, especally those with personal-property (assessed-car-value) taxes require you to live in the state if your car is registered there, and vice-versa. Sometimes exemptions are given for active-duty military and for others who are based in the state away from home.
Old 03-20-11, 12:51 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Shouldn't be a problem. They'll just ask you if your address is current or not. At one time I moved so often that my address on my license never matched where I actually lived for almost 5 years. My car registration used to mostly go to my dad's house since that address is constant.
Old 03-20-11, 05:45 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,429 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Did you move into or out of VA? And which state is your legal-resident addess? You have NY on your call-sign here. Most states, especally those with personal-property (assessed-car-value) taxes require you to live in the state if your car is registered there, and vice-versa. Sometimes exemptions are given for active-duty military and for others who are based in the state away from home.
good points. questnyc, if your residence is in NY, why aren't you re-registering the car in NY?
Old 03-21-11, 04:29 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
good points. questnyc, if your residence is in NY, why aren't you re-registering the car in NY?
I'm guessing insurance costs.
Old 03-22-11, 03:18 PM
questnyc
Rookie

im not residing in NY anymore. I just never updated my location on here. I dont think my question was answered. Maybe i wasnt clear. Does the address on my insurance card have to be the same as the address on my registration card?
Old 03-23-11, 06:05 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by questnyc
im not residing in NY anymore. I just never updated my location on here. I dont think my question was answered. Maybe i wasnt clear. Does the address on my insurance card have to be the same as the address on my registration card?
What they ask on my insurance card is where is your vehicle principally garaged.

I know people in Florida with two residences (mostly retirees). They have a regular residence and vacation residence. However, they have a car with the same registration address as the regular residence (to coincide with the driver's license address), but they keep one car at the vacation residence full time (i.e., they fly down from say Sarasota to Key Largo), but the insurance company knows that the vehicle is principally garaged in Key Largo.

In my own case, I was living in Mexico for years but had to keep up my Florida registration (you had to maintain current U.S. vehicle registration for your Mexican insurance to be valid), but my insurance company knew my vehicle was principally garaged down there and that I had Mexican insurance as required by law there (U.S. insurance is generally good only within the first 75 miles of the border and sometimes not even that).

Another good example would be kids taking their cars to college, but keeping their parent's address and their home state's license plates.

Keep in mind that if you have NY plates for example, then you must have NY insurance. You can't have a vehicle that say has NY plates, but the insurance for VA.
Old 03-23-11, 12:17 PM
questnyc
Rookie

Yea I understand that but the thing is my registration and insurance are the same address butt I have a mailing address which all of my dmv documents are sent to. So that's why my registration has a different address. Got me? So I was just curious since they have differen addresses (both in Va) will that b a problem
Old 03-24-11, 05:40 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

I don't think mailing addresses for payment will be a problem either. I asked a neighbor with a kid in college out-of-state in Georgia. Kid got Georgia plates (not sure of reason), but insurance is paid for by parent and is mailed to their home in Florida.