Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Review: 2011 Lexus GX460

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-11, 10:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
unless you need its serious off-road capabilities, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense with today's competitors. it's not the best 7 seater. it drinks gas. it's body on frame. it's funky looking.

an rx350 or better, rx450h, or even an explorer, esp. with awd, will be 80% as good off road as the GX (unless you're seriously off road in ditches and steep inclines with rocks, etc., something 99.9% of owners never do ) as well as more fuel efficient and cheaper.
Generally, I agree....but don't forget that the new 2011 Explorer is no longer body-on-frame. It gave up the old truck-frame this year and went unibody and FWD in its standard configuration, which did improve the ride and handling (and maybe the gas mileage), but decreased the off-road and towing capability. You are correct, though, that only a small minority of SUV owners actually need true mountain-goat off-road capabilities......Jeep Wrangler jocks are perhaps the only significant group of owners who actually do go off-road on a regular basis.
Old 03-20-11, 12:50 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GREAT review as always Mike... love the GX460

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
The Durango is at dealers, they have plenty of them
Not the R/T. One of my best friends is a Dodge GM, late April/early May ETA

Originally Posted by mmarshall
....I've got a CL-member request for the R/T.
Can't wait, especially if you get them in DC before here in WI...
Old 03-20-11, 01:10 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the review MM

I may have missed it, but how was trunk space with the third row down?
Old 03-20-11, 01:42 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Sadly, there's no V8 4Runner anymore.
Old 03-20-11, 02:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
Sadly, there's no V8 4Runner anymore.
Good point. Toyota seems to have dropped the V8 option with the redesign last year....perhaps with an eye on the upcoming truck/SUV fuel-economy standards. That same V8 (the 4.6L) in the GX450 gets atrocious gas mileage...one of the points I made in the revew.
Old 03-20-11, 03:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lamar411
Thanks for the review MM
Sure...anytime.

I may have missed it, but how was trunk space with the third row down?
The high, square roofline, of course, helps space-efficiency, but the twin 50/50 third-row seat-backs are located pretty close to the rear-window, so there isn't much available space with the seatbacks up. They drop down in halves, though, each with its own power-motor, so you can just drop one seat down if desired. With both seatbacks down, the available cargo space increases quite a bit, but not to what you would expect to find wth a full-size SUV like the Tahoe, Sequoia, Expedition, etc.... With the tall roofline, the GX's cargo space, seats up or seats down, seems to be geared as much or more toward height
as towards front-to-back length, but, if you need even more front-to-back room, the second-row seats, of course, also manually-fold down.
Old 03-20-11, 03:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
GREAT review as always Mike... love the GX460
Thanks, Russ. It's rugged, plush, comfortable, and a good off-roader, but, IMO, there are better-choices, even in the Lexus family, for daily-driving, especially if heavy-towing and 3rd-row seat capacity is not needed.

Not the R/T. One of my best friends is a Dodge GM, late April/early May ETA

Can't wait, especially if you get them in DC before here in WI...
Yes....I'll keep an eye out for it. I've also got review-requests for the new Ford Focus and Toyota Avalon.
Old 03-20-11, 03:14 PM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Great review again MM. As you know I had requested the GX460 review and currently own the 2010 4runner. I was hoping the handling was better on the Lexus being my 4runner does not have Xreas or KDSS and therefore leans and dives too much in my opinion. I believe the GX comes standard with KDSS. I think both sound like they are undersprung (is that a word)?

Can you elaborate more on the handling in comparison to the 4runner?
Old 03-20-11, 04:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bigbwb
Great review again MM.
Thanks.

As you know I had requested the GX460 review and currently own the 2010 4runner.
Yes, as long as it is a reasonably-accessable vehicle, and the shop allows test-drives, I try and get to requested reviews, even if there is only one request for it.

I was hoping the handling was better on the Lexus being my 4runner does not have Xreas or KDSS and therefore leans and dives too much in my opinion. I believe the GX comes standard with KDSS. I think both sound like they are undersprung (is that a word)?

Can you elaborate more on the handling in comparison to the 4runner?
I haven't driven the latest-generation (2010-2011) 4Runner for any appreciable distance, so I can't necessarily comment on its handling in direct comparison to the GX. The 4Runner, of course, has lighter V6 engines up front, which creates less weight on the front-suspension then the GX. But I did sample the GX in a variety of conditions yesterday. As I pointed out in the review, its tall (and fairly narrow) stance made me a little nervous about its center-of-gravity, even with the standard electronic-stability-system (Toyota/Lexus, I believe, because of patent-rights, does not have access to the even better Ford/Volvo Roll-Control Stability System). So, although I did give it some mildly-aggressive manuvers and steering input like I usually do with reviews, I was careful not to try anything dumb. The suspension is definitely on the soft side, especially by truck/SUV standards, and that, in combination with the relatively high-profile tires, produces slow steering response and marked body-roll. However, the roll, despite the high center-of-gravity and soft suspension, isn't necessarily unsafe. Consumer Reports does extreme roll-tests with outriggers fastened to the sides of the vehicle to prevent extreme tip-ups or rollovers, and they didn't specifically mention any extreme roll-tendencies or tip-ups with the GX, although, as I mentioned, some roll is noticeable even mildly-aggressive steering input. The GX, however, did have a factory recall to address a flaw in the stability system that allowed too much tail-out-slide (something I didn't try myself). CR mentoned that in their GX write-ups, but that should have been taken care of by now on production GX models.....that's why I didn't mention the recall in the review.

Another thing I noticed with the GX suspension (and, sorry, I forgot to mention it yesterday when I did the write-up) was the tendency for the front-end to bob-down momentarily and then pop back up again just as the vehicle stops. This occurs even with very mild applicaton of the brakes, which suggests to me perhaps a too-weak suspension, at low speeds, for the vehicle's weight. A shame, too, because the GX's suspension and tires generally produce good ride-comfort by truck-standards.

(I went back, BTW, and amended the review...I'll post it here):

One other annoying feature I noticed while braking, although it was more connected to the suspension than to the brakes itself, is that just as you come to a complete stop, the front-end of the GX bobs down momentarily in a rocking motion, and then springs back up. I haven't noticed that in a test-drive since I drove the enormous Ford Excursion some years ago (I didn't do a write-up on the Expedition). The massive Excursion, though, was so heavy, (7000 lbs. +/-, compared to the GX's 5400) that the rocking motion, coming to stop, from the too-weak suspension, was more pronounced than in the GX. The Excursion's suspension was simply inadequate for its massive weight.....the GX showed some signs of that, but to a far-lesser degree, and it, overall, was far more pleasant to drive than the Excursion.
I think both sound like they are undersprung (is that a word)?
Not necessarily. A number of factors go into a vehicle's handling softness/firmness, not just spring-rates (the tendency for springs to compress under pressure). Shock-damping rates (which are sometimes electronically-variable), anti-roll-bar size/strength, tire type/tread with/sidewall-height/PSI, front/rear weight distribution, unsprung weight(which is the amount of weight in the components under the springs/shocks that push up on them), weight of the suspension components themselves.....all of that, and much more, actually plays a part.

Also, don't confuse undersprung with unsprung weight....they are two different terms that address two different issues. Undersprung (as you use the term) refers to inadequate suspension firmness/damping for the vehicle's total weight. Unsprung-weight, as I just explained above, deals with the weight under the suspension itself pushing upwards on bumps and in corners.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-20-11 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-20-11, 05:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,416 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Generally, I agree....but don't forget that the new 2011 Explorer is no longer body-on-frame.
yes i know, thanks, which is why i put it in with the rx and edge as less 'goat-like' suvs.

I believe the GX comes standard with KDSS.
just looked and you're right. however the gx460 'premium' also has adaptive variable suspension (AVS) which probably makes a BIG difference.

from Lexus, kdss seems more about having flexibility for road conditions vs. off road with hydraulic mounts:

(KDSS) Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System (KDSS) is a unique, high-performance suspension system that incorporates thicker and stronger vehicle stabilizer bars which help to improve road feel at cruise speeds without diminishing off-road performance. KDSS utilizes hydraulic mounts that can adjust in off-road conditions to provide increased wheel articulation.
whereas AVS, only on premium model probably makes a huge improvement on road:

Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS) AVS is a computer-controlled system that continuously adjusts shock-absorber damping rates to help provide appropriate ride comfort and handling precision. Sensors monitor wheel speed, engine rpm, steering-wheel movement, brake application and vertical body motion to determine the ideal damping rate for each shock absorber. The driver can also select the ride firmness with the press of a button

mike - i think you did not test a premium one, right?
Old 03-20-11, 07:11 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I looked at a few CPO GX's before I bought my wife the 2011 Murano LE and I feel like it didnt seem as special as most of the other higher end Lexus vehicles. The fuel economy was really bad and the leg room in front wasnt all that great for taller drivers as well. Between those negatives ( amongst others) and the fact that I got the Murano at 1500 below invoice I went with the Nissan
Old 03-20-11, 08:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I looked at a few CPO GX's before I bought my wife the 2011 Murano LE and I feel like it didnt seem as special as most of the other higher end Lexus vehicles. The fuel economy was really bad and the leg room in front wasnt all that great for taller drivers as well. Between those negatives ( amongst others) and the fact that I got the Murano at 1500 below invoice I went with the Nissan
Well, I agree that the Murano, for most people, is probably a better and more-sensible overall daily-driver than the GX, but I've always found the styling, on both-generation versons, to be controversal and awkward-looking. Underneath, though, it's a good, solid, sensible mid-sized car-based SUV, though the 1Gen version had an extremely cheap interior and dash. That was rectified with the 2Gen model.
Old 03-20-11, 08:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
just looked and you're right. however the gx460 'premium' also has adaptive variable suspension (AVS) which probably makes a BIG difference.

from Lexus, kdss seems more about having flexibility for road conditions vs. off road with hydraulic mounts:

whereas AVS, only on premium model probably makes a huge improvement on road:

mike - i think you did not test a premium one, right?
No...I tested a option-laded base-version, which, at almost 59K, was expensive enough as it is.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-20-11 at 08:49 PM.
Old 03-21-11, 08:46 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good review

However, mmarshall

I have to say. It's good thing you didn't fall of asleep of boredom by driving what is the most boring looking Lexus SUV to-date.
Old 03-21-11, 10:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blackraven
good review
Thanks.

However, mmarshall

I have to say. It's good thing you didn't fall of asleep of boredom by driving what is the most boring looking Lexus SUV to-date.
Well, two things. First, the interior-trim was so nice that it tended to keep you fully-awake just looking at it. Second, (if you saw some of my subsequent posts), the vehicle's tall, narrow stance, despite the standard stability-control system, made me somewhat nervous about its center-of-gravity, especially during some of the more-aggressive steering inputs I gave it (I wasn't dumb enough, though, to really try something stupid).

Quick Reply: MM Review: 2011 Lexus GX460