Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Review: 2011 Lexus GX460

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-11, 10:33 AM
rcf8000
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently was in the market for a 3 row SUV to replace my RX350. I am a big fan of Lexus, but the GX460 just doesn't cut it, imo. I can't get past the barn door tailgate, the archaic third row seat design, and the high stance. I bought a GL450, which I notice is outselling the GX460 even though it costs a lot more. Memo to Lexus: convert the GX to a unibody design similar to the GL450 (but lighter, without the off-road capability) and I'll be the first to buy one. Leave the off-road capability to the LX.
Old 03-21-11, 10:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by rcf8000
I recently was in the market for a 3 row SUV to replace my RX350. I am a big fan of Lexus, but the GX460 just doesn't cut it, imo. I can't get past the barn door tailgate, the archaic third row seat design, and the high stance. I bought a GL450, which I notice is outselling the GX460 even though it costs a lot more.
The tailgate, if you noticed, also opens to the right, which is generally the wrong way for how most Americans end up parallel-parking. That's because the engineers didn't switch the door hinges/panel/hardware from the Japanese/British-market versions.

Memo to Lexus: convert the GX to a unibody design similar to the GL450 (but lighter, without the off-road capability) and I'll be the first to buy one. Leave the off-road capability to the LX.
Have you looked at the new car-based Explorer? Ford converted it from a truck-based rail-frame to unibody this year, an gave it a rather impressive new interior. Top-line versions, with options, can even run Lexus prices.....48-50K (I recently did an Explorer review)

Ford also does the Flex SUV with a 3rd-row-seat, but it has square, shoe-box styling....I don't know if it willl appeal to you or not. But the square-styling is space-efficient. Lincoln does a version on the same platform, called the MKT, but it is awkward-looking, and nothing like the Flex, style-wise.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-21-11 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-21-11, 10:55 AM
rcf8000
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I test drove the new Explorer, but I didn't like it enough to buy one. The Flex probably fits my needs better than anything else out there, but it's not really a luxury vehicle. Incidentally, my GL 450 has the blind spot detection, which is an awfully nice feature. I wouldn't buy another car without it.

I looked at the MKT, but the 3rd row seat is useless for anything but little kids.
Old 03-21-11, 11:01 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,354 Likes on 1,542 Posts

Originally Posted by rcf8000
I test drove the new Explorer, but I didn't like it enough to buy one. The Flex probably fits my needs better than anything else out there, but it's not really a luxury vehicle. Incidentally, my GL 450 has the blind spot detection, which is an awfully nice feature. I wouldn't buy another car without it.

I looked at the MKT, but the 3rd row seat is useless for anything but little kids.
would appreciate if you could start a thread with all your thoughts/experiences on the gl450.
Old 03-21-11, 11:13 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the in depth and objective review mmarshall. I was one of those that had requested this and I appreciate the time and energy it took for you to do this review, so again thanks!

I'd say my own personal observations are very much in line with what you've observed about the interior, exterior and on the road characteristics of the vehicle. I found the drivers seat and its surroundings a delightful place to spend time and, as you stated in your review, very Lexus like in details.

One thing I would use the GX for is long highway drives for work and family vacations and felt this would be an excellent vehicle for that and it would also give me the comfort to know when it was time to come home, no matter what the weather, the GX would get me their safely. I was hoping for an LS on stilts. Of course the GX doesn't quite deliver that but I do think for a BOF truck it rides/drives nicely. I think I gathered correctly from your review it would do that to some extent.

Funny you should mention the RX as I have looked closely at that as a possibility too. On the surface comparing the two may seem like apples and oranges but see what my needs are above and it's really not that far off.

2 Questions please

1) Day in and day out livability. Is the GX a vehicle you could personally get in and out of everyday and enjoy driving?

2) Speaking of apples and oranges did the Lexus dealer have any comments about your request to drive a GX after driving a CT a few weeks ago? I know you have a good relationship with them but that is quite a swing in interests
Old 03-21-11, 02:39 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

I think Prado and GX have always offered quite good driving skills... it has independent suspension and sure it is a truck, but i had a lot of fun bending it in curves... KDSS helps a lot and AVS should help a little bit more, but even without AVS it is quite decent.

it is billion times better car IMHO than RX450h...
Old 03-21-11, 02:42 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

it would be quite cool if they offered 3.0l D4D engine in 4Runner. It would probably get easy 25-28mpg, which is pretty much the best you will get in true truck. It is pretty slow though, nothing like V6 but that kind of goes together with it being truck.
Old 03-21-11, 08:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TripleL
Thanks for the in depth and objective review mmarshall.

I was one of those that had requested this and I appreciate the time and energy it took for you to do this review, so again thanks!
Sure. Anytime.

I was hoping for an LS on stilts. Of course the GX doesn't quite deliver that but I do think for a BOF truck it rides/drives nicely. I think I gathered correctly from your review it would do that to some extent.
If you want an LS on stilts, then you might prefer the larger LX570, although the LX, like the GX, is also truck-based and off-road-capable.

Funny you should mention the RX as I have looked closely at that as a possibility too. On the surface comparing the two may seem like apples and oranges but see what my needs are above and it's really not that far off.
The RX350, for a number of people, is not only, IMO, a better and less-expensive overall daily-driver for on-pavement work, but is also very refined, and drives like a silk purse.

1) Day in and day out livability. Is the GX a vehicle you could personally get in and out of everyday and enjoy driving?
I liked the GX's plush interior, basic control-layout, ride comfort, and ruggedness of build-quality, but the high, narrow stance and high center-of-gravity, even with the stability-control, makes me a little nervous in sudden sharp corners or if you have to swerve abruptly to aavoid hitting something. It also doesn't seem as quiet and refined in noise-control as the RX. The RX, besides costing less, will also use significantly less (and less-expensive regular) fuel.

2) Speaking of apples and oranges did the Lexus dealer have any comments about your request to drive a GX after driving a CT a few weeks ago? I know you have a good relationship with them but that is quite a swing in interests
I don't always go the same dealerships. For instance, there are 4 or 5 Lexus dealers within reasonable driving distance of my house. That is one of the advantages of living in the car-rich D.C. area....the second-largest new-car market in the country behind Southern California. We have auto dealerships up the kazoo in this area....they are almost everywhere, especially for popular brands like Ford, Chevy, Toyota, Honda, etc..... That's why it is usually, but not always, relatively easy fo me to do reviews.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-21-11 at 08:58 PM.
Old 03-21-11, 09:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
I think Prado and GX have always offered quite good driving skills... it has independent suspension and sure it is a truck, but i had a lot of fun bending it in curves... KDSS helps a lot and AVS should help a little bit more, but even without AVS it is quite decent.
AS you indicate, the KDSS and stability systems do help, but, given this vehicle's high, narrow stance and (potential) tipsiness, I still wouldn't push it in sharp corners, or with too-sharp steering-inputs at higher speeds. VSC can save you only to a certain extent. Sports cars and sports-sedans are designed to be driven aggressively.....truck-based SUVs are not. The laws of physics still apply at the limits.

it is billion times better car IMHO than RX450h...
For the average American driver, as a daily-driving machine in typical conditions, I can't agree. I think that, unless you need the extra towing, carrying, or 7-seat capacity of the GX, the RX makes more sense.
Old 03-21-11, 09:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

it would be quite cool if they offered 3.0l D4D engine in 4Runner

It would probably get easy 25-28mpg, which is pretty much the best you will get in true truck. It is pretty slow though, nothing like V6 but that kind of goes together with it being truck.
I'm not familiar with the "D4D" designation...is that a diesel? If so, I'm with you............I favor more diesels coming to America, but most manufacturers, except for a couple of German makes, have been reluctant to bring them here. And, any diesel used in the GX had better have some spunk to it.....you are talking about a vehicle that is well over two and a half tons (5400 lbs.), empty. The 4Runner, with less equipment, is a little lighter, but still no featherweight.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-21-11 at 09:19 PM.
Old 03-22-11, 03:34 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
AS you indicate, the KDSS and stability systems do help, but, given this vehicle's high, narrow stance and (potential) tipsiness, I still wouldn't push it in sharp corners, or with too-sharp steering-inputs at higher speeds. VSC can save you only to a certain extent. Sports cars and sports-sedans are designed to be driven aggressively.....truck-based SUVs are not. The laws of physics still apply at the limits.

For the average American driver, as a daily-driving machine in typical conditions, I can't agree. I think that, unless you need the extra towing, carrying, or 7-seat capacity of the GX, the RX makes more sense.
can you stop with the tipness please? car passed all the tests, it is not going to tip anywhere... we were driving it very fast on 40% angled test track and it didnt tip... not sure why are you even mentioning it.

you can push this baby as much as you want, you will get nice 4 wheel slide :-).

it has been built from components that are significantly higher quality and more durable than RX... it is going to last... forever.
Old 03-22-11, 04:47 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If you want an LS on stilts, then you might prefer the larger LX570, although the LX, like the GX, is also truck-based and off-road-capable.
Excellent point. I like the LX very much but size wise it doesn't fit my particular needs/wants.

The RX350, for a number of people, is not only, IMO, a better and less-expensive overall daily-driver for on-pavement work, but is also very refined, and drives like a silk purse.
Agreed, I've driven latest generation of the RX and it is definitely on my short list and a vehicle I could see in my garage.

I liked the GX's plush interior, basic control-layout, ride comfort, and ruggedness of build-quality, but the high, narrow stance and high center-of-gravity, even with the stability-control, makes me a little nervous in sudden sharp corners or if you have to swerve abruptly to aavoid hitting something. It also doesn't seem as quiet and refined in noise-control as the RX. The RX, besides costing less, will also use significantly less (and less-expensive regular) fuel.
I agree about the interior. The narrow stance didn't bother me but I was on the line of whether it was quieter than the RX or not. I was expecting it to be much quieter and felt it was about the same at best.

I don't always go the same dealerships. For instance, there are 4 or 5 Lexus dealers within reasonable driving distance of my house. That is one of the advantages of living in the car-rich D.C. area....the second-largest new-car market in the country behind Southern California. We have auto dealerships up the kazoo in this area....they are almost everywhere, especially for popular brands like Ford, Chevy, Toyota, Honda, etc..... That's why it is usually, but not always, relatively easy fo me to do reviews.
WOW! I did realize how big a car market DC was, that's great. I'm not complaining though as we have 'one of each' dealer here in RI and Boston is only 80 minutes away.
Old 03-22-11, 06:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

can you stop with the tipness please?
I'll stop if you will do me the courtesy of answering the question I asked you above, in post #40......is the D4D a diesel?

car passed all the tests, it is not going to tip anywhere... we were driving it very fast on 40% angled test track and it didnt tip... not sure why are you even mentioning it.
An inward-banked track, because the G-forces push down rather than out, will help overcome the effects of any tipsiness. A level or outward-crowned road won't.

you can push this baby as much as you want, you will get nice 4 wheel slide :-).
Maybe so. But I use common sense when I review a vehicle, and don't push it past anything that I feel is unsafe or would put undue stress on it. After all, it is (usually) the dealership's property, not mine, and a brand-new vehicle.

it has been built from components that are significantly higher quality and more durable than RX... it is going to last... forever.
Here I agree with you.....it is indeed durable, but, for most drivers, under most conditions, the RX350 makes a better and more-sensible daily driver.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-22-11 at 06:11 AM.
Old 03-22-11, 06:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TripleL
I agree about the interior. The narrow stance didn't bother me but I was on the line of whether it was quieter than the RX or not. I was expecting it to be much quieter and felt it was about the same at best.
The RX, to my ears, is indeed quieter. The basic frame/construction of the GX was designed more for off-road durability, not library-quietness.

WOW! I did realize how big a car market DC was, that's great. I'm not complaining though as we have 'one of each' dealer here in RI and Boston is only 80 minutes away.
Well, there's a lot of money in the D.C. area, we have some of the richest counties in the nation, the public-transit system is not as widespread as it is in, say, NYC, and the amount of suburban sprawl is tremendous. So a LOT of people run around in private cars. L.A./SoCal, though, probably has us beat as the country's car-culture center.
Old 03-22-11, 07:11 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

MM, are you sure that the metro DC new car market is larger than the metro NYC, Chicago, Dallas-Ft. Worth, Philadelphia, Houston, Miami etc.?

All of these areas have larger populations, with varying degrees of public transportation systems, meaning potentially more new car buyers.

Quick Reply: MM Review: 2011 Lexus GX460